Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those Poch formation changes gave us the Son LWB moments, the Vorm against Palace disasterclass, the 3-0 against Brighton etc. Love Poch, but the other side of the extreme is just as bad as the stubborness of Conte.
Pochs last 10 months or so were extremely terrible. He had run out of ideas and the players he was buying werent good enough to replace the ones that were aging. This is one of the reasons I dont want Poch back. He might try to get Dier and Davies and all going again or buy more Ndombeles an Locelsos.

We had our best start in prem history.

For the calendar year only City scored more goals at one point.

Only really started playing really badly just before the WC.

Wrong. And I and others were saying this was wrong at the time.

Go back, watch the performances & tell me we were playing good, sustainable football. We were getting results but we were playing badly.

You can’t outrun bad performances. They ALWAYS catch up with you. They did under Jose and they did under Conte.

Yes. 2 CBs and 3 in midfield. If we concede 7 with Romero and Dier (Dier is bad, but not THAT bad), and three in midfield, Conte is truly awful.

.......Conte is shit for not doing what you want him to do; but if he bins off his way, does what you want and it fails, resulting in us conceding more goals than ever then he is even worse?????

This is some seriously oddball logic.

There was zero friggin need to spend 60 mil on Richy. It's insane money for a guy like him, especially when he then sits on our bench all season.

With that amount we could've gotten us Barnes and Iheanacho, who would've brought a heck of a lot more to the table...and I was saying that way before yesterday's hammering.

The Richy signing is the perfect illustration of how utterly clueless our Board - starting with the bald twat - is and has been for donkeys years. And I don't give a rat's ass for Levy's half arsed apology/explanation on TV cause that lemon will just continue to do the same shite time & again.

He's the No 1 issue at Spurs and must either go or stay but never ever again get involved in football matters.

Spending 60m on a back-up ST is classic Levy and the perfect example of him 'meddling' in "football matters"?

...........Really?????

Some of you clearly don't even think things through before you type.

Pochs last 10 months or so were extremely terrible. He had run out of ideas and the players he was buying werent good enough to replace the ones that were aging. This is one of the reasons I dont want Poch back. He might try to get Dier and Davies and all going again or buy more Ndombeles an Locelsos.

All hail the return of Winks

Go back, watch the performances & tell me we were playing good, sustainable football. We were getting results but we were playing badly.

You can’t outrun bad performances. They ALWAYS catch up with you. They did under Jose and they did under Conte.
100%.

Thing is your asking him to be something he is not. The idea was you bring him in, spend £400m and get him the players he needs, he wins the title and leaves.

We are treating him like an Eddie Howe project manager. Doesn’t work and that is on us not Conte. Levy thinks he can make Jose and Conte project managers, like asking a sushi chef to make Pizza.

He's been complicit in the notion of a 'project' throughout though...... Just go back and listen to his comments.

Asking for "Patience"
"Give me four windows" (He's still only had 3, btw..... His 4th would require him to sign a new contract!)
"Less mistakes" (like Ndombele etc.)
"Here to help change the culture at the club"
"Happy with the [summer] transfer window"
"Happy here.. yadda yadda"

If he'd been bullshitted about a warchest he never got given he'd have thrown the owners under the bus ages ago.

Said some time ago, I think he was up for proving himself to not merely be a cheque-book manager, but for whatever reason is struggling. Add in the personal issues and a niggling thought that he's charitably slumming it for us and you have a less than fully committed and engaged manager unsure whether he wants to be here any longer.

He's been complicit in the notion of a 'project' throughout though...... Just go back and listen to his comments.

Asking for "Patience"
"Give me four windows" (He's still only had 3, btw..... His 4th would require him to sign a new contract!)
"Less mistakes" (like Ndombele etc.)
"Here to help change the culture at the club"
"Happy with the [summer] transfer window"
"Happy here.. yadda yadda"

If he'd been bullshitted about a warchest he never got given he'd have thrown the owners under the bus ages ago.

Said some time ago, I think he was up for proving himself to not merely be a cheque-book manager, but for whatever reason is struggling. Add in the personal issues and a niggling thought that he's charitably slumming it for us and you have a less than fully committed and engaged manager unsure whether he wants to be here any longer.

Oh boy people are still taking the ‘project’ comments at face value ??? Good god.

Sustainable football is a narrative.

Is anyone saying shit about how sustainable Newcastle's football is right now?

Nope and the barcodes don't give a fuck either because they aren't losing.

Did Real Madrid care they didn't have exciting performances on the way to winning the Champions League?

saying that we are agreed that the form fell off a cliff before the WC.

Oh boy people are still taking the ‘project’ comments at face value ??? Good god.

Considering most of that stuff was said in the first season when things were going pretty well; yes.... Face value and basic logic is far more preferable than gymnastic thinking and conspiracy theory(*).

(*Not entirely like people were rubbing their hands together saying "wait til the accounts" come out, anticipating a big gotcha moment that showed us dripping with cash......... Lo and behold; then when the accounts come out, things look less flush than assumed and all the loud voices have shied away from even mentioning them again.)

Cobblers like this isn't helping.......

(Not you Carrie...... The content of the tweet.)

The bulk of our injuries haven't been muscle-related and every team has a few pinged ham-strings during the course of a season.
Agree with you that the tweet is cobblers.

Still don't have much faith in our sports science department. Wonder if we even have an analytics team.

Agree with you that the tweet is cobblers.

Still don't have much faith in our sports science department. Wonder if we even have an analytics team.

I don't know if it ever happened in the end, but think back to when we first tried to hire Conte... There was a lot of talk about him bringing a big team including his own medical guys. It was portrayed as being a deal-maker as to whether or not he would agree to come or not.

Whoever it comprises however; it's a pretty fair assumption that we do have the typical spread of medical/fitness teams.... How good they (genuinely) are is anyone's guess..... Guess being the obvious word, cos at most people are clumsily playing join the dots with very little specifics to cook up their own little conspiracies and memes.

Cobblers like this isn't helping.......

(Not you Carrie...... The content of the tweet.)

The bulk of our injuries haven't been muscle-related and every team has a few pinged ham-strings during the course of a season.

Haha I don’t think he means any malice with his tweet. I think a lot of fans are just trying to understand why we’ve accumulated so many injuries this season, it seems to be more regular than usual. Obviously I’m not including the ones that have happened in games like Sonny, Lloris and Bentancur.

As Richard Arlison Richard Arlison mentioned, maybe there needs to be a deep dive into the medical department to make sure it’s working effectively.

Haha I don’t think he means any malice with his tweet.

Probably not..... Our fans are too fragile minded and susceptible to imagined theories tho.

People just have a hard time accepting things and have an inherent need for someone to blame.

I think a lot of fans are just trying to understand why we’ve accumulated so many injuries this season, it seems to be more regular than usual. Obviously I’m not including the ones that have happened in games like Sonny, Lloris and Bentancur.

As Richard Arlison Richard Arlison mentioned, maybe there needs to be a deep dive into the medical department to make sure it’s working effectively.

"In game" or not isn't the point though....... Most of our injuries aren't likely to have been spawned by training and fitness drills.

I bet if one was the crunch the numbers and factor in a little WC impact, that it's not any worse than your average club's season.

Last edited:
Considering most of that stuff was said in the first season when things were going pretty well; yes.... Face value and basic logic is far more preferable than gymnastic thinking and conspiracy theory(*).

(*Not entirely like people were rubbing their hands together saying "wait til the accounts" come out, anticipating a big gotcha moment that showed us dripping with cash......... Lo and behold; then when the accounts come out, things look less flush than assumed and all the loud voices have shied away from even mentioning them again.)

I don't think its conspiratioral to suggest that Conte, who has operated a certain way his entire career & at the time of his comments was refusing to entertain a new contract, wasn't ever really dedicated to a 'project' here. The words were hollow at best IMO.

And wait, the accounts came out? I must've missed that.

Newcastle fan in peace... a lot of interesting situations at different clubs this year including yourselves - I can’t help thinking I would be checking my watch for when Conte is gone if I was a Spurs fan. I remember his demeanour in his second (and last) year at Chelsea and it was like he had mentally checked out way before the season ended. He really comes across as a cheque book manager to me, granted that’s generalising and I’m not saying he’s a bad manager. As it turns out I think Eddie Howe would have been great for you as with a lot of clubs that are probably kicking themselves they didn’t go for him. What about the Brentford manager who’s in a similar profile re achievements Brentford / Bournemouth?

Haha I don’t think he means any malice with his tweet. I think a lot of fans are just trying to understand why we’ve accumulated so many injuries this season, it seems to be more regular than usual. Obviously I’m not including the ones that have happened in games like Sonny, Lloris and Bentancur.

I feel like we've been unlucky. It's easy to try and blame the medical department but Bentancur getting an ACL or w/e isn't exactly their fault. We've got a few who have had had long-term impact injuries.

It's not that unusual, other clubs have had awful situations like this before. I do think some of the handling of Skipp's injury was odd but we don't really know the specifics.

I feel like we've been unlucky. It's easy to try and blame the medical department but Bentancur getting an ACL or w/e isn't exactly their fault. We've got a few who have had had long-term impact injuries.

It's not that unusual, other clubs have had awful situations like this before. I do think some of the handling of Skipp's injury was odd but we don't really know the specifics.

Like I said in my post, I’m not including the injuries to Bentancur, Lloris or Son. You can’t help what happens in a game.

It probably just is bad luck, it’s just hard to take

I don't think its conspiratioral to suggest that Conte, who has operated a certain way his entire career & at the time of his comments was refusing to entertain a new contract, wasn't ever really dedicated to a 'project' here. The words were hollow at best IMO.

No; that's not the conspiratorial thinking I alluded to. If you read what I said in my OG post properly it ought to be more than clear what I believe Conte's mind-set to have been from arrival to now; but whatever....

So you just think he's been bullshitting from day one then...........?

..........Or perhaps you prefer the conspiracy (yep there's that word again, but in the actual context that I applied it!) theory that Levy promised him bazzlions and yet Conte just hasn't had the balls to call him out for it for the last 12 months? ........Mr "Bad-ass Killer" who's gonna "hold Levy's feet to the fire" and "give him nowhere to hide".

And wait, the accounts came out? I must've missed that.

Heh. Indeed; you must have. Like I said; previous thirst for them really took a dip.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom