Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

See, this is it - I remember only a little while ago seeing someone on TalkShite suggesting Ange to Liverpool when it came to replacing Klopp. Football media/social media can be schizophrenic in how it rates players and managers over such a small space of time.

Putting aside that we should absolutely be giving the man time (and a second summer transfer window, no doubt): being cynical just look at the managerial landscape for who we could even get to replace him; barely any options. I notice that melters tend not to actually suggest any names as to who they'd want in his place.

Bournemouth coach has suddenly become flavour of the month because his team has hit form, when it goes the other way and his team go on a set of losses the noises will die down, just like De Zerbi, don't see many fans clamouring for him nowadays lol, before that it was Potter before he went to Chelsea and his stock dropped, next it will be Glasner.

Football fans are ageists.
I don’t get why they think professional athletes who live well,train every day,get every supplement and diet looked after think that the age of 28 is a concern.
This isn’t the 80s or 90s. They used to say players were in their prime at 27 but it’s much older than that now.
For example if Ivan Toney did come to us or any player that’s 28 and scores goals consistently which made us successful why would that bother any fan of any club if they never got any money back for him.

We need more experience not just up and coming kids that might become great and make us money in the future.

I don’t get why they think professional athletes who live well,train every day,get every supplement and diet looked after think that the age of 28 is a concern.
This isn’t the 80s or 90s. They used to say players were in their prime at 27 but it’s much older than that now.
For example if Ivan Toney did come to us or any player that’s 28 and scores goals consistently which made us successful why would that bother any fan of any club if they never got any money back for him.

We need more experience not just up and coming kids that might become great and make us money in the future.

I blame FM.

I don’t understand why 28 is a concern. Who gives a fuck about sell on value. I want guys who can improve the team now.
Age concern doesn't always have to be related to sell on, some might like the idea of having a player around for the better part of a decade if they are a success for example.

The ideal is you sign a young player who can make an immediate impact and be around for a long time.

Whereas we could sign Toney, he be good for a couple of years, and then be back in the market for his replacement before you know it.

It's purely idealism, a hypothetical where people want the same output as Toney, but from someone younger, who can contribute for longer.

Re-sale value doesn't necessarily have to be considered with an intent to sell either, you could just use it as a metric, ie you'd want a player to have a high valuation because it indicates that they are good, you want player value to increase from what you paid because it inherently means good things for the club, beyond just the prospect of selling them.

Last edited:

It may be a hangup of our previous buy-to-sell model. I think we also all dream of a younger player coming here and going up a level (but boy, have we seen the opposite happen enough).

I don't want us to push the average age of the squad up too much, but we could definitely benefit from some transformative, ready-made signings. Think Van Persie joining United. The added benefit is also that someone who's been there and done it may help improve the mentality of the team when we're up against it. I'm no fan of Henderson but I definitely think he helped galvanise that prime Liverpool squad.

In the 23 games since the now legendary first 10 games, we have amassed 1.478 ppg.
Over a 38 game season that's a whopping 56 points.

Sure there were injury problems in the first 10 or so of those games.
But even the last 10 games, where most of injured/suspended/internationals were available, we've taken 1.6 ppg. Over a 38 game season that's 60 points.

People have spent too much time focussing on those first 10 games and nowhere near enough on the following 23 games.

In the 23 games since the now legendary first 10 games, we have amassed 1.478 ppg.
Over a 38 game season that's a whopping 56 points.

Sure there were injury problems in the first 10 or so of those games.
But even the last 10 games, where most of injured/suspended/internationals were available, we've taken 1.6 ppg. Over a 38 game season that's 60 points.

People have spent too much time focussing on those first 10 games and nowhere near enough on the following 23 games.

Do you know how many times you’ve said the same thing?

If you want him sacked just say that and we can all get a break from you banging on about the same things

Not a chance he gets sacked. And hopefully he gets backed this Summer.

There is a faint whiff of the David Brent about him though. He needs to lose the misty eyed wisdom and abstract nouns. It’s starting to grate.

Age concern doesn't always have to be related to sell on, some might like the idea of having a player around for the better part of a decade if they are a success for example.

The ideal is you sign a young player who can make an immediate impact and be around for a long time.

Whereas we could sign Toney, he be good for a couple of years, and then be back in the market for his replacement before you know it.

It's purely idealism, a hypothetical where people want the same output as Toney, but from someone younger, who can contribute for longer.

Re-sale value doesn't necessarily have to be considered with an intent to sell either, you could just use it as a metric, ie you'd want a player to have a high valuation because it indicates that they are good, you want player value to increase from what you paid because it inherently means good things for the club, beyond just the prospect of selling them.

How many players hang around for the best part of ten years nowadays?

Any young player that comes here and does great won’t be here long anyway unless we started winning leagues and champions leagues.

Back
Top Bottom