Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Few thoughts from me on the game.

1. How is it possible to think we played really well and yet utter shit all at the same time? The game really has that feeling. If you look at all the stats and key chances it’s not a game we deserve to lose, but ultimately we’re 3-0 down at home to our biggest rivals and that simply isn’t good enough.
  2. As above, I thought we played ok. Our press in the first half was better than it has been recently and whilst an element of the way the game went was because they allowed us to come onto them, you have to be reasonably happy with the overall way we played.
  3. A different bit of luck here and there and the game is different. Romero 2 great chances first half, Sonny through on goal, VDV marginally offside and the penalty incident that led to their goal - this could have been very very different.
  4. Having said that, we have no one to blame here but ourselves. I’m struggling to think of a side in PL history who has looked so weak defending corners as we have over the last 4 months. It’s frankly unacceptable. The zonal piece isn’t working, not in the slightest. Yesterday we had Romero, VDV, Davies, Bentancur and Hojbjerg on the pitch who are all decent in the air. Give them a man for man assignment and make them accountable for stopping their fucking man from scoring. Anyone who watched Maddison marking Dan Burn in the Newcastle game and thought “this will work long term” is a fucking idiot.
  5. To add to that, I don’t think Vicario is helping with the nervousness at corners. The Havertz goal is a metre from his starting position, he has to be more assertive there.
  6. I’m annoyed at the Saka goal on the counter but happy to take those risks as a byproduct of the way we play. Overall though it did feel like we left Davies a little exposed one on one to Saka too many times. It was their best outlet particularly in the first half. I like risks, and I like backing your players one on one - but Davies against Saka is never an option we should choose.
  7. I am starting to see an issue with us defending the overlap. I can’t be bothered to write chapters on it but keep an eye out in the next game.
  8. Thought Kulu was excellent as he often seems to be in these big games. He can be a real asset against a high pressing team as an outlet with his physicality. Probably our MOTM. Shame he can’t do it against the lesser sides in the league with any consistency.
  9. I thought it was fucking wonderful to see Son make an early run in behind for once and for us to find him. He needs to stretch CBs much much more than he has since reverting to CF. No one wants Son running in behind them and even if he doesn’t get the ball, it creates space in front of the CBs which is where Maddison does his best work.
  10. Having said that, Son’s effort was really poor and his overall play is just so bad. If there is still a significant Saudi offer on the table this summer I would seriously consider taking it. Outside of these first 10 games it’s been 2 seasons of sub-par Sonny now. Do we back him to get better?
  11. The general frustration with our horseshoe passing around the edge of the opponents 18 yard box is still there. We need to take more gambles, commit bodies into the box and occasionally put a hopeful ball in there. You can get events like the pen on Davies only if you get the ball into the box on occasion. More risks needed, we’re looking too much for that perfect goal.
  12. CM isn’t quite working as a functioning unit to me ATM. Maybe it’s that the combos aren’t working, but it often seems like those who come on at 60 mins do better than those who start the game regardless of personnel. Odd? It all comes back to that urgency we require in every part of our play - we start every game in CM playing too slowly and too comfortably for the opposition
  13. Outside of defending corners Romero and VDV were awesome. If we keep them together it seems unfathomable to me that our defence won’t improve long-term (if we can sort the shit at set pieces).
  14. Nothing radical here - our forward options aren’t elite. That’s ok one season after selling Kane, but we need better quality in those areas and quick.
  15. Neville was spot on about us being a box to box team. It’s arguable we’re the best in the league in that area TBH, perhaps after City. But we need to improve at the ends where the game is won and lost, some of that is on personnel, some on coaching.
  16. A note on our opposition - I thought they were pretty shit TBH. Please god don’t let these cunts win the league.

Some of the Ange out stuff is laughable and reactionary,I left yesterday with huge frustration about the way we lost, but also a belief that there’s a pathway for us to be a really really good side with some tactical tweaks and good recruitment.

I believe in Ange and if I’m wrong I’m happy to fall on my sword. He’s going to be a great manger for us.

COYS

Good point about defending overlaps, there was a point in the 2nd half where Saka had a volley and Vic saved it (think it may have been offside anyway) but we let Tomiyasu I believe just run on the overlap so easily and cross the ball, was pretty alarming TBH.

werner needs a run with richy to aim for. if you got a wide man who can get to the byline and flash a ball across the box...the last striker you want is son whos going to avoid getting clattered by any means necessary.

diaz would of been perfect but we obviously got blown out by liverpool...

Yeah, two positions that need upgrading in the summer

Can we just have a player who is comfortable on the ball and want the ball in tight space, Johnson and Werner treat the ball like a hot potato because they're not comfortable with it.

I watched how Eze manipulated the ball at Anfield and wanted the ball with players around him, do you know how much of a difference it makes when you have wingers like that, we are in so much desperate need for them man.
Reckon Bergvall has it but it will be a very pleasant surprise if he is ready to be a regular starter next season

What manage has ever gone into a big club and completely changed their own philosophy and the way they've coached?

I don't think that is the case.

Porro and Udogie weren't considered full backs in a back four and he made them work. At some point in the season, both were considered to be the best performing full backs in the league...

I think he saw plenty that fit his philosophy.

But you can only get the full picture when you're here and you've seen them perform over a period of time.

This whole season is a test for the players. Can you be brave? Can you play the way Ange wants you to? Do you stack up?

I'm going to assume by the reports we're looking for a new 6, wide players and a striker. They haven't.

Isnt that what we're doing?

We brought in Vicario who's alot better with the ball at his feet than Lloris was. We got van de Ven in who's the perfect centre back for the system.. Even Werner is the right profile for the system, just not of the level needed to take us to a higher level.

Bergvall coming in who seems to fit. We've been linked with the likes of Nusa, Williams, Eze. Again all players that suit.

You dont go to a new club with the idea of changing the entire philosophy and mentality just to pussy out during a rough patch.

Just like you don't go to a new club and sell the entire squad in the first window. Said it before I reckon Ange would happily get rid of 3/4s of this team if he could.

It's not a cop out at all.

Spurs quite clearly struggle with two main things. Set pieces and a lack of technical ability across the squad.

Both of these things can quite easily be addressed in the summer that would put us in good stead going into the new season.

It been a stop start season full of injuries, suspensions, international tournaments, long breaks between games to allow for zero momentum with an added toxicity whenever we lose before a long break.

I'm hoping we can end the season strong, get to the summer, get the right profiles in to give us a better chance, get rid of those not suited and go into the new season full of optimism after hopefully a good pre season of integrating some youngsters into the side.
I'm not saying make wholesale changes to his philosophy, but he needs to acknowledge that some tweaks could be made right now, even if the aim is to recruit in the summer to suit his ultimate wants.

You can't just stubbornly sacrifice the here and now until you maybe get what you want in the summer.

Yeah, both lack the technical quality.

I like both of them. But they're not starters in this system if we want to go up a level. Johnson is great when coming off the bench or in certain fixtures. Werner likewise.

In fact, we don't have a single wide player who suits the system.

But we need that Williams type. 100%
I don’t dislike them to be honest but they won’t improve us as a team due to their deficiencies for how we need to play against teams sitting in. Maybe good squad options when games get stretched but definitely not starters for me. They both seem to lack self belief. That’s why they are not top players. I don’t see any swagger or arrogance in their play. We need a couple more that have that which would improve us dramatically in the front areas.

the implications of this are massive. its basically cost us CL football, that potentially sets the club back years.

Silly way of looking at things really.

Playing this way got us into this position in the first place, we won't lose a CL place because of tactics, we'll lose it because we're ultimately not good enough to be in the CL.

That was Ange's point, he's not going to sacrifice something which is effectively a shot in the arm purely because of the thrill of playing in Europe's elite competition.

Fans are so focused on short termism, it's crazy...This is literally what a process is, this is how you build. (I didn't want to say rebuild because someone will have a meltdown)

Last edited:
Still way of looking at things really.

Playing this way got us into this position in the first place, we won't lose a CL place because of tactics, we'll lose it because we're ultimately not good enough to be in the CL.

That was Ange's point, he's not going to sacrifice something which is effectively a shot in the arm purely because of the thrill of playing in Europe's elite competition.

Fans are so focused on short termism, it's crazy...This is literally what a process is, this is how you build. (I didn't want to say rebuild because someone will have a meltdown)

I do not like you, and you do not like me.

However you're spot on here.

the implications of this are massive. its basically cost us CL football, that potentially sets the club back years.

Arse came 5th and we came 4th under Conte. It didnt stop them growing, CL will not build this club, if we are that weak that we can’t grow unless we get CL then we can forget winning a trophy. Newcastle won’t have CL next season nor will Chelsea and yet both will try and build to win competitions next season. Top 4 isn’t a trophy, now the stadium is done we should look to build a squad capable of challenging for the league title and getting EL not CL shouldn’t change that nor set us back years because is that if the case we haven’t grown as a club at all.

I do not like you, and you do not like me.

However you're spot on here.

Now Kiss Adventure Time GIF

Still way of looking at things really.

he runs the risk of losing the players belief in him by not adapting and hanging them out to be embarrassed every other week. theres nothing to build when youve damaged the players belief in you.

he runs the risk of losing the players belief in him by not adapting and hanging them out to be embarrassed every other week. theres nothing to build when youve damaged the players belief in you.

No you don't know that, you're just projecting the way you feel, you're just getting embarrassed and using that to reflect your feeling back onto the players.

Arse came 5th and we came 4th under Conte. It didnt stop them growing, CL will not build this club, if we are that weak that we can’t grow unless we get CL then we can forget winning a trophy. Newcastle won’t have CL next season nor will Chelsea and yet both will try and build to win competitions next season. Top 4 isn’t a trophy, now the stadium is done we should look to build a squad capable of challenging for the league title and getting EL not CL shouldn’t change that nor set us back years because is that if the case we haven’t grown as a club at all.
Woolwich had us to catch.... a shambles of a club. we now have to catch villa who just might use the benefits of CL football correctly.

I reckon he'd lose the players belief in him more if he suddenly changed based on a few bad results.

No you don't know that, you're just projecting the way you feel, you're just getting embarrassed and using that to reflect your feeling back onto the players.
what do you mean? hes dealing with human beings not robots. conte lost the dressing room because he was stubborn, this guys heading the same way. maddison already looks like hes had enough of it. when VDV pulls another hammy when we got 10 men and hes still having to chase back 3 forwards from the halfway line hell probably be sick of it too.

I reckon he'd lose the players belief in him more if he suddenly changed based on a few bad results.
who knows. i think the players want to win games of football. being 3 and 4 goals down every other week aint going to last long for morale.

he hasnt got time....players arent going to sacrifice a couple years of their career hoping some aussie bloke works. hes a gamble and at the minute its not looking good. hes been giving enough players to see something, and we are seeing a system that doesnt work still...how you going to be confident with that? werner and johnson have been brought in to fit this guys way of playing! they dont fit it at all they fit the previous system! its a shambles.

Club also need to change their view on finances. We don’t always need to do £100m net a season, if getting the squad fixed is £200m net this summer then £50m net the next two summers we should do that.

Far too long we have been doing whack a mole, we finally build a good backline post Poch but Kane is now gone. Every season we wait is a player getting older or leaving in another position. We can spend 2 seasons trying to fix the front line then have Romero leave for Real then it’s back to fixing the backline. City, Arse don’t have these issues, Pool only have these issues now because their replacements were poorly scouted (not sure why they are now bad at it).

We have to try and fix the squad this summer not do 50% of it because time doesn’t stand still. We need to get to a point where we are not always rebuilding. Probably only 1 season under Poch did we have what I would call a set squad.

We need a CF and Winger of elite quality. Then probably a CM and 1-2 defenders. This summer not next or the one after.

Back
Top Bottom