Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

** In pub standard leagues.

I like Ange but we’ve not come close to winning anything this season. We were pathetic in the cups.

He’s not proven as a serial anything above Scottish league level. At this point I see him as a good platform to getting us back to playing a halfway decent style of football more than anything else.

I was a serial winner when I managed our 5 a side team for 3 years.....:mickyarm:

Ignorance.

Winning is relative to the level and that's it.

In every league in the world, the one factor that generally holds up when it comes to predicting the winner is the wage bracket and number of players with highest level of wages relative to the league.

If anything Ange finding ways to win in Japan and Australia with teams that weren't traditional winners on that league and didn't have the highest wage brackets makes him more of a winner than cheque book managers like Conte.

That’s complete fucking bullshit and completely ignores the standard of coaching that exists in the top European leagues compared to Scotland or Japan. As if the coaches in these countries are as good as the coaches you’re up against here.

Honestly one of the worst takes people come up with on here. He was a serial winner there so he would be here. Yeah, that’s why you see so many top European clubs recruiting serial winners from the A League. FFS.

Ange is a good coach but he’s not proven to win a thing when up against other elite coaches. He hasn’t even got us to a quarter final yet and we’ve never come close to challenging for the league. We’ve had one game a week to contend with all bloody season.

That’s complete fucking bullshit and completely ignores the standard of coaching that exists in the top European leagues compared to Scotland or Japan. As if the coaches in these countries are as good as the coaches you’re up against here.

Honestly one of the worst takes people come up with on here. He was a serial winner there so he would be here. Yeah, that’s why you see so many top European clubs recruiting serial winners from the A League. FFS.

Ange is a good coach but he’s not proven to win a thing when up against other elite coaches. He hasn’t even got us to a quarter final yet and we’ve never come close to challenging for the league. We’ve had one game a week to contend with all bloody season.

How do you measure the standard of coaching?

You have no idea how to answer that question so don't bother. It will be a waste of your time and mine.

I respect some of your opinions.

This one is a shit opinion that isn't thought through and based on what you want to think.
OK. Respect this one.

I want Ange to succeed, I want you to be proven right, and if we win major honours I would happily chomp on Levy's root right across this platform.

What I hate, passionately, are the lowered expectations that have infested large swathes of the fanbase with his appointment.

Low expectations breeds complacency and failure.

How do you measure the standard of coaching?

You have no idea how to answer that question so don't bother. It will be a waste of your time and mine.

How do you measure being a serial winner? Would the guy managing down the dog & duck having won the last five pub league titles be a serial winner? If I beat a two year old at scrabble am I a serial winner?

All the resources for the sport are here. All the best schools of thought, the academies etc are here. The depth of coaching talent is far richer than it is in Japan or Australia.

The concept of big fish small pond isn’t a complicated one and I struggle so much with how people struggle with it. Potter was a genius at Ostersund, guess what he is in England? Mid.

None of which means Ange is crap. He might be incredible. But at this level he’s nothing yet lmao, he’s just potentially something. Nobody gives a damn about A league trophies in the Prem.

OK. Respect this one.

I want Ange to succeed, I want you to be proven right, and if we win major honours I would happily chomp on Levy's root right across this platform.

What I hate, passionately, are the lowered expectations that have infested large swathes of the fanbase with his appointment.

Low expectations breeds complacency and failure.

Full respect for that position. Other than lowered expectations from his appointment. I see nothing but the opposite.

How do you measure being a serial winner? Would the guy managing down the dog & duck having won the last five pub league titles be a serial winner? If I beat a two year old at scrabble am I a serial winner?

All the resources for the sport are here. All the best schools of thought, the academies etc are here. The depth of coaching talent is far richer than it is in Japan or Australia.

The concept of big fish small pond isn’t a complicated one and I struggle so much with how people struggle with it. Potter was a genius at Ostersund, guess what he is in England? Mid.

None of which means Ange is crap. He might be incredible. But at this level he’s nothing yet lmao, he’s just potentially something. Nobody gives a damn about A league trophies in the Prem.

Avoided the question because you know your position is based on ignorance.

Winning repeated trophies in different countries with very different cultures is as close as you can get to being a bonifide serial winner.

Where you were born has nothing to do with it.

Avoided the question because you know your position is based on ignorance.

Winning repeated trophies in different countries with very different cultures is as close as you can get to being a bonifide serial winner.

Where you were born has nothing to do with it.

No it isn’t, just fucking stop. Coaching is a skill that needs to pass litmus tests the same as playing, I.e by doing it at a level where everyone is great and you’re not just standing out amongst poor talent in your field.

This is the same in every fucking walk of life by the way. You don’t get to be respected as one of the best in your field without competing against other people who are the best. Baffling and illogical.

In the A League Ange wasn’t coming up against multiple EL winner Unai Emery who is one of the most acclaimed tactical minds in the world, he was up against bill and Ben the flowerpot men. Deal with it.

The serial winner argument is a load of old shite anyway. Of all our better managers i can only think of Venables of having any sort of major CV. Arthur Rowe, Bill Nick, Burkinshaw even Jol, Redknapp and Poch had a grand total of 1 FA cup and 1 Dutch cup between them.

When we try and go for the big trophy winners, Graham, Santini, Ramos AVB, Mourinho, Conte it always ends in tears, mostly of boredom. (Fully aware that 2 on that list won us our last 2 trophies but we were utterly boring mid table fodder). They didnt get us punching above our weight and bar Conte i'd say conciderably below it.

No it isn’t, just fucking stop. Coaching is a skill that needs to pass litmus tests the same as playing, I.e by doing it at a level where everyone is great and you’re not just standing out amongst poor talent in your field.

This is the same in every fucking walk of life by the way. You don’t get to be respected as one of the best in your field without competing against other people who are the best. Baffling and illogical.

In the A League Ange wasn’t coming up against multiple EL winner Unai Emery who is one of the most acclaimed tactical minds in the world, he was up against bill and Ben the flowerpot men. Deal with it.

And your assumption is that because the other coaches in the J league and A league are Asian that means they aren't great.

Which is ignorance.

What we have in Europe is more money and the ability to purchase the best talent from all over the world. If anything that creates an environment where coaching is LESS important and talent is what matters.

I'm sorry if this offends your little Ingerlander mentality but we don't produce great coaches even though our league has the most money in the world. Circumstances are more important for a coach's career than how well they coach.

Back in the day when knowledge wasn't shared as well, Puskas could go to Australia, teach them the game and dominate. Those days are long gone. Now there are amazing coaches all over the world, whether you have heard of them or not. They won't work in Europe because of circumstances, not because they aren't good enough.

And your assumption is that because the other coaches in the J league and A league are Asian that means they aren't great.

Which is ignorance.

What we have in Europe is more money and the ability to purchase the best talent from all over the world. If anything that creates an environment where coaching is LESS important and talent is what matters.

I'm sorry if this offends your little Ingerlander mentality but we don't produce great coaches even though our league has the most money in the world. Circumstances are more important for a coach's career than how well they coach.

Back in the day when knowledge wasn't shared as well, Puskas could go to Australia, teach them the game and dominate. Those days are long gone. Now there are amazing coaches all over the world, whether you have heard of them or not. They won't work in Europe because of circumstances, not because they aren't good enough.

Little Englunder mentality lmao English coaches are shit, the best coaches are here because the resources here are incredible and that attracts all the elite talent the same way the best talent comes to play in Europe and doesn’t stay in Australia.

And yeah, the J-League is just packed full of secret Pep’s and Klopp’s *rolls eyes* honestly do you honestly believe this shit?

There are high potential and good coaches everywhere, the concentration of the good ones is much higher here as the top level resources attracts both the best players and managers. This isn’t hard to understand. Angeball might be a novel style in Scotland but it isn’t in England.

The worlds best football clubs aren’t paying coaches 20 million a year if they could just easily go and recruit Gary from the A League to do the same job. That’s part of why Ange got picked out, because he stood out in a small pond as exceptional. But now he has to prove he’s exceptional at a higher level .. that’s sort of how career progression works.

If we lose our next 3 games against Woolwich, Chelsea and Liverpool does/should he get sacked?
I think there's as much chance Spurs win two of the next three as there is of losing the next three. But, that wasn't your question. If Spurs somehow lost all three I don't think Postecoglou would be in any danger of losing his job. The front office is stable and supportive of him. Mr. Levy is no doubt happy that he's had a season where he isn't getting bashed because the fans love "Big Ange". And something people aren't noticing much is that we're probably entering a transition period in terms of the top clubs. Man City may have to slow its spending if FFP is a serious thing. Klopp is leaving Liverpool and Salah is moving toward the end of his career. Chelsea is a mess. Woolrich will find ways to trip over themselves. Spurs have a plan and resources (if they'll spend them) along with a young core. So I don't see Spurs firing Postecoglou any time soon regardless of the outcome of a few late season games. And this is coming from someone who isn't sold on him.

Little Englunder mentality lmao English coaches are shit, the best coaches are here because the resources here are incredible and that attracts all the elite talent the same way the best talent comes to play in Europe and doesn’t stay in Australia.

And yeah, the J-League is just packed full of secret Pep’s and Klopp’s *rolls eyes* honestly do you honestly believe this shit?

There are high potential and good coaches everywhere, the concentration of the good ones is much higher here as the top level resources attracts both the best players and managers. This isn’t hard to understand. Angeball might be a novel style in Scotland but it isn’t in England.

The worlds best football clubs aren’t paying coaches 20 million a year if they could just easily go and recruit Gary from the A League to do the same job. That’s part of why Ange got picked out, because he stood out in a small pond as exceptional. But now he has to prove he’s exceptional at a higher level .. that’s sort of how career progression works.

Yes I do believe that.

There may well be better coaches than Pep or Klopp there.

I'd even bet there are better coaches than both in Europe who don't have the circumstances to show what they are made of. Pep has said repeatedly that he wouldn't be able to win with lesser players.

If Ange breaks the glass ceiling we might see the richest clubs over here start to recruit them. Right now the biggest clubs are governed by a mix of trusting what they know, marketing potential, fear of the unknown, and some considerations for fan perception.

I'm willing to bet from the content of your posts that you know very little about coaching mate. That's not a dig, I'm sure there are things you know about. This just isn't one of them.

I'm willing to bet from the content of your posts that you know very little about coaching mate. That's not a dig, I'm sure there are things you know about. This just isn't one of them.

I’m willing to bet the reverse is true if you honestly believe that the level of coaching in the Premier League isn’t much higher than the A League.

Yes I do believe that.

There may well be better coaches than Pep or Klopp there.

I'd even bet there are better coaches than both in Europe who don't have the circumstances to show what they are made of. Pep has said repeatedly that he wouldn't be able to win with lesser players.

If Ange breaks the glass ceiling we might see the richest clubs over here start to recruit them. Right now the biggest clubs are governed by a mix of trusting what they know, marketing potential, fear of the unknown, and some considerations for fan perception.

Pep got fast tracked into coaching based on his connection with Barcelona, same with Arteta at Woolwich.

I don't know if there are coaches as good of them around the world, but they certainly have been more privileged than most who just don't have the same opportunities as they did.

The serial winner argument is a load of old shite anyway. Of all our better managers i can only think of Venables of having any sort of major CV. Arthur Rowe, Bill Nick, Burkinshaw even Jol, Redknapp and Poch had a grand total of 1 FA cup and 1 Dutch cup between them.

When we try and go for the big trophy winners, Graham, Santini, Ramos AVB, Mourinho, Conte it always ends in tears, mostly of boredom. (Fully aware that 2 on that list won us our last 2 trophies but we were utterly boring mid table fodder). They didnt get us punching above our weight and bar Conte i'd say conciderably below it.

Generally speaking serial winning managers are at serial winning clubs. Culture of winning starts at the top, you get extreme exceptions like Fergie who dragged a then pitiful Man United into glory.

This isn’t to say we don’t want to win just there isn’t a desperation. That’s why given our circumstances I’d take a manager who wants to entertain. Managers like Conte are used to having Inter Milan level backlines or peak Kante/Hazard as options.

A manager is important but given the prem has multiple elite managers that won’t be the difference on its own, we need an elite squad and to be frank we are quite a way from that. We have also opted for manager who is uncompromising in style and requires specific players to make it work which needs top scouting and big investment.

We are in new territory post Covid/stadium build and with Scott Munn/Lange and Paratici set up but it remains to be seen if anything truly will change and we will get a lethal edge.

Ange could be the new Pep, he could also end up being showed to be out of his depth. Only way to know is time and good scouting/big investment.

If we don’t have the balls to back an uncompromising manager properly it would be best to opt for a more flexible manager with a lower ceiling style of football like Emry. Someone who works with what he has got rather than a Pep who needs his ingredients.

As I don't have as much spare time as many, can someone just remind me of Anges past achievements? I know he's won stuff in Japan and Scotland , but I presume there's other stuff I'm missing?

Back
Top Bottom