Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our central midfield is mediocre. Sarr has potential, but we need players that can dominate games even when under pressure. And, we sold one of the best strikers in the world without even trying to replace him. Deal with those issues and I think Ange has a decent chance at glory.

We always knew it was going to be a bumpy ride. And gusss what, it did.

We still need a more solid group of players, and a few setbacks in a first year, with a lot of new players, is very predictable.

And VdV is suddenly crap now, after his first bad display? The state on some of you..

Last edited:
What I see is not promising.
SAF or Shankly would struggle to achieve anything under Levy. It doesn’t matter who our manager is, we have no drive and limited ambition. A good manager will get us competing for 4th and a bad one will see us 6th to 8th. That’s it. A cycle of averageness. Not terrible, never taking risks but never really making winning a priority

I would sack Ange and let Mason run tings tbh. Expedite a new CEO

Look you can make excuses as for him not having what he needs but he's picking the same fucking players game after game no matter how shit we play. That is on him. Maddison been shit for months lo celso hardly any game time. Bissouma shit for the majority of the season still playing every fucking game. If he wants to change the tune try a different instrument.

He needs to starts getting ruthless now otherwise he will look foolish.

He has indulged certain players because the alternatives are less talented, but we need grit and hard work right now. Any player who is too afraid to put their foot in or pass the ball forward quickly can sit in the stands.

WALOB

You have no idea what Liverpool fans were seeing week in week out when Klopp was starting out.
Yes I do actually because I have friends who support them. The sensible ones were saying team identity and application were good but the players weren’t there and he needed time. Obviously there were people throwing their toys out the pram too but the general mood was that Liverpool fans were happy they got Klopp and excited for the future. The two friends I speak to the most about them never questioned him in that first season.

I would have said the same actually about Ange until about December but two things give me pause

1. We’ve got worse, not better, as the season has gone on and that’s with a more or less full team.

2. Our history of not always supporting managers.

I still say give the guy time and the reasons for why we’ve regressed are complex, it certainly isn’t all on the manager. But remiss not to at least ask a few questions.

Also like him or hate him Klopp is one of the most successful managers in recent prem history. I don’t think it’s the fairest comparison,

It would be very very weak for him to pick the same players that aren't performing week in week out in the next game. It'll speak volumes for me the side he picks vs Woolwich regardless of the result.

He probably also has to accept that his tactics are naive. Many teams ask their full backs to push up and move inside like midfielders, but doing that as well as letting your “defensive” midfielder push up, that isn’t sensible or sustainable. Especially when we don’t remain compact and leave such huge space between our midfield and defensive lines.

Teams know how we play now and away from home we are beginning to look stupid playing in such a wide open way with such unreliable players. All successful managers are stubborn but they also have to have a pragmatic streak because winning the games is the most important thing.

I get that Ange wants to implement this style and after years of negative managers we do have to be quite strict on imposing a progressive style on the players if we want them to adapt, but clearly we are asking too much from them. I’d also be a bit tentative with my passing if I knew that one stray pass would lead to a 2 v 2 race towards our goal. The all out attack style was liberating for our players at first but I think it’s beginning to stifle them.

Ange had a shocker today. Pure undiluted arrogance to think he didn't need to watch our previous games against Toon to learn from those mistakes. First time this season I've been genuinely angry with him. Any idiot could have foreseen that they would run a low block and just pick us off with long balls over the top.

Back
Top Bottom