Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't beat a reactionary outpouring after we fail to win a game.

If Udogie's shot right at the death gone in, would the reactions to the performance, our season, our play etc etc have been the same? I'd hazard a guess at no.

Low blocks are hard to break down. Always have been, always will be. How do you think we've managed to beat City numerous times over the years? Even the best teams fail to break down low blocks. Sadly, that's what happens when youre a higher end team going to the smaller clubs.

And we've done so more often than not this season. Something we will have to get used to.

I do love a calm realistic post in a sea of emotional garbage

Refreshing.

Pepsi Refreshing GIF

Because whilst they are good players, are they going to be difference makers when it matters and be consistent. You kind of prove my point when you put Johnson in that category - you think Brennan is going to be an uplift player from chasing 4th to chasing 1st? The difference in going from 4th to 1st is massive. Its going from Martin Skrtel to Van Djik. Stephen Ireland to David Silva. Adebayor to Aguero. Stewart Downing to Mo Salah.
You say that the 22 year old Johnson is no good?
He seems to be doing pretty well in my opinion and he has plenty of years to develop further.

As for your quoted names...Salah 31, Aguero 35, Silva 38, Van Dijk 32

Who's to say that Johnson won't be as good as them in another 10 years?

I believe we will finish 5th, and that might be enough to net us CL depending on what happens elsewhere. We do have some tough fixtures left and I can't see us winning all of them.

Bearing in mind we finished 8th last season with our all-time top scorer that's OK progress, it's just a little disappointing given the blistering start we made. Pre-season I felt Ange would take time to bed in and we might finish strongly, but it would be a tricky season with some good football and we would finish about 8th, so it's been a bit above my expectations overall.

It's clear to me where we need to improve - up top, and we need a better box to box midfielder to help with the transition from defence to attack. I don't think Sonny is the problem but a target man style striker to give us options (like Toney, not necessarily him) would be good.

This.

Results are papering over the poor performances. Worse, they are not learning. It's the same goals conceded all the time.

It's his first season, and he's done better than we ever thought. But because of that our expectations rose. Let's see what happens next season - more signings of the caliber needed to really implement his style.

It's just a bit of a flag that he won't change that style, and when even Moyes says "we know what they will do" you know you have a problem.
All the best managers have a style they look to implement, would you say Pep has a Plan B? I am not suggesting Ange will reach the heights of Pep or Klopp, btw, but that he will have his ways and we just need better players and a deeper squad to properly implement them.

I do find the way we concede loads of soft goals frustrating though. Teams don't have to work hard to score against us.

really dont know what you plebs are complaining about TBH, spurs have been shit the last 4 years with managers that lost the fan base and the players didnt like and crap football to boot. most people were expecting mid table this year and that was b4 the loss of Kane! instead you got a manager that players seem to really respect, and for the most part play some great football and are sitting just outside the top4. Anges teams from the past dont usually click properly until the second season so judge him at the end of next year. dont forget that klop, pep &arteta didnt exactly set the world on fire in their first season. Also nKlopp has only won 1 PL title in 9 years, Pep just gets to buy whoever and whatever he wants. be gratefull plebs
Lol “plebs”, get the fuck outta here cringe fan boy. We played better football under Conte’s first season than we did in the last couple of months under this manager. Just passing the ball around and having possession stat doesn’t equal great football. It’s the same pattern every game now, we pass it so slow that the opposition is barely forced to deal with a quick decision. Wingers keep cutting inside, again utterly predictable cause they run in a bunch of defenders. When we put some crosses in, no one is at the receiving end because we have like 1 or 2 players in the box against 4-5 opposition defenders, it’s impossible for them to beat so many players. And on top of that, our defence looks like they have no idea how to keep shape. We’ve conceded 44 goals which is embarrassing, even Everton conceded less. We can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives, since December 2023, we kept one clean sheet lol.

If you judge “progress” or that we should be grateful for being 5th just lol. We went out of both domestic cups, we had no European football to deal with… We were told we’d see what Postecoglou football is about in the second half of the season but it ’s miles behind now than what we played earlier this season.

really dont know what you plebs are complaining about TBH, spurs have been shit the last 4 years with managers that lost the fan base and the players didnt like and crap football to boot. most people were expecting mid table this year and that was b4 the loss of Kane! instead you got a manager that players seem to really respect, and for the most part play some great football and are sitting just outside the top4. Anges teams from the past dont usually click properly until the second season so judge him at the end of next year. dont forget that klop, pep &arteta didnt exactly set the world on fire in their first season. Also nKlopp has only won 1 PL title in 9 years, Pep just gets to buy whoever and whatever he wants. be gratefull plebs

Plebs! That’s not very nice!!

But thank you for your hot take. Your own track record speaks for itself.

Telling us it takes two seasons for Ange to really make his mark.
So a good 24 months.

But getting angry with “the experts” for saying we couldn’t win the league this season. After 4 months.

And then comparing Ange to Fergie. WTF!!

Calm down!!!

The experts ….

nasa-rocket-to-measure.jpg

You

200w.gif

I've watched all his succesful teams and I can say the way this team is playing is nothing like any of the others he's managed. There are glimpses of it, but that's it. I don't know why its taking longer, and no its not the better opposition.

I've watched all his succesful teams and I can say the way this team is playing is nothing like any of the others he's managed. There are glimpses of it, but that's it. I don't know why its taking longer, and no its not the better opposition.

It’s the better opposition. 100%.

These are the elite. Not the standard you are used to watching.

Squad not totally suited to his play. We've played inverted wingers most of the season. Sarr isn't really an Ange midfielder (in profile) but he's too important to drop. We've had a stop start season with plenty of injuries, international tournaments and suspensions.

Next season, we need to strengthen the profiles in our team. Players more suited, add the depth and hope our injury and suspension luck is a thing of the past.

Of course it’s the better opposition and us not having the best players in the league.
Players at this level are much better defensively and concentrate more and make less mistakes.

And the coaching. Just look at the top 4

Klopp, pep, Emery.
Even Arteta as young as he is - exposed to peps coaching methods. Played under wenger. Grew up in the Barca academy system.

Just a different level of knowledge and experience at the PL.

Plebs???
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Back
Top Bottom