Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How has he over achieved?

We were embarrassingly knocked out of both domestic cups in the early rounds without any European football to contend with and have been reduced to slogging out the rest of the season to see which European competition we can qualify for.
We're sitting below Villa, a club with hugely inferior resources
The team itself massively over achieved first 10 league games but now, as in previous seasons with previous managers, it's once again being found out.
New manager bounce...

Now we have a new challenge to overcome - the low block and especially the 5 at the back low block. This is nothing new - breaking down these teams has always been hard for any team, let alone a newly formed team full of new teammates.
This problem will define his stay with us.

We’ve faced this for many, many years. Mourinho and Conte’s dinoball was one answer. We’re now, thankfully, trying to play like a top team should.

We will need exceptional players.

Underachieved in the Carabao
Par for the FA Cup (due to opponent)
Overachieving in the league
You think overachieving in league in 5th? Not by much if at all tbh. We are the 4th biggest club by revenue. Yes we lost Kane, but we have signed/ effectively signed quite a number of good new players. I'd say we are about par on league performance given where Ange started from. Probably the best realistically we will finish now is 4th, which is a good performance.

You think overachieving in league in 5th? Not by much if at all tbh. We are the 4th biggest club by revenue. Yes we lost Kane, but we have signed/ effectively signed quite a number of good new players. I'd say we are about par on league performance given where Ange started from. Probably the best realistically we will finish now is 4th, which is a good performance.

Anything above 6th for us is overachieving, you don't count for what the club make on revenue because revenue isn't tied to success or how well you do, it's traditionally the wage budget which is tied to performance and we have the 6th highest in the league.

Regardless of that people had Spurs finishing mid table when Ange came in and nowhere near the top 4 so I don't see how he is overachieving regardless.

We could get a Klopp or Guardiola-type manager and the spams on here would call it out if either weren't backed with the most expensive players possible. And even then it would be something. As boring as it is obvious.

The pointlessnness of discussion is whem it's with people who possess a fixed position, whether that is religion, politics or football..

Best to let that sh!t play out

Postecoglou done well so far. Could be doing even better. Needs 2 or 3 new players.

And so far he had been well -backed unless you live in La La land, in which case you come up with your own story to suit. We know who the Tottenham Tubbies are.

Last edited:
Anything above 6th for us is overachieving, you don't count for what the club make on revenue because revenue isn't tied to success or how well you do, it's traditionally the wage budget which is tied to performance and we have the 6th highest in the league.

Regardless of that people had Spurs finishing mid table when Ange came in and nowhere near the top 4 so I don't see how he is overachieving regardless.

Context of no European fixtures at all to distract us is important. That has meant that we’ve basically just had one game a week most of the season. The league is all we have to worry about.

Especially due to pathetic early exits in both cup competitions.

In his favour we’ve had worse than normal injury problems.

Would say the overall picture is still overachieving but that the scale of overachievement has dropped off a lot lately.

I think it depends on if you're speaking with Lilywhite glasses on or not.

Before the season it was :

- City will win the league.

- Woolwich have strengthened a squad that came close to winning the league.

- Liverpool were an unknown quantity but still finished 3 places above us and had a net spend of close to 100m in the summer.

- Man Utd had finished 3rd, 15 points ahead of us and spent close to 200m in the summer...

- Aston Villa finished above us. Strengthened their squad and had a proven manager in place who had turned them around and put up MOTY numbers

- Newcastle were meant to go from strength to strength. Finished top four. Way ahead of us. Net spend of way over 100m in the summer.

That's 5 clubs there who, in the eye of many, were better positioned than us going into this season. Because in the summer all I heard was:

- We've just sold Harry Kane. We haven't got a replacement
- Ange is unproven
- Porro and Udogie can't play in a back four
- We should have signed Raya and not gone for the cheap option
- We should have signed Tapsoba and not gone for the cheap option
- Son is finished
- Our pre season wasn't good enough.

Not to mention all the protests in place before the season started.

So to even be where we are this season, on top of absolutely everything that happened in the summer, other teams around us and their expectations going into the season.

Id say yes, we have 100% over achieved THIS season league wise. It's probably a sad endictement of where we've fallen from a few years back when we should have been pushing on but that doesn't change the fact that going into this particular season, no one had us down to finishing in the top four and tbh even being in discussion. And if you did, fair play to you, you'll be happy with how it's going.

- Liverpool were an unknown quantity but still finished 3 places above us and had a net spend of close to 100m in the summer.

- Man Utd had finished 3rd, 15 points ahead of us and spent close to 200m in the summer...

- Aston Villa finished above us. Strengthened their squad and had a proven manager in place who had turned them around and put up MOTY numbers

- Newcastle were meant to go from strength to strength. Finished top four. Way ahead of us. Net spend of way over 100m in the summer.

That's 5 clubs there who, in the eye of many, were better positioned than us going into this season. Because in the summer all I heard was:

- Ange is unproven
- Son is finished

So to even be where we are this season, on top of absolutely everything that happened in the summer, other teams around us and their expectations going into the season.

Id say yes, we have 100% over achieved THIS season league wise. It's probably a sad endictement of where we've fallen from a few years back when we should have been pushing on but that doesn't change the fact that going into this particular season, no one had us down to finishing in the top four and tbh even being in discussion. And if you did, fair play to you, you'll be happy with how it's going.
Happy with how it’s gone maybe, not how and where it’s going…. We lose vs Palace, we will miss Europe

Also worth remembering when the last manager was sacked, we were actually 4th

Happy with how it’s gone maybe, not how and where it’s going…. We lose vs Palace, we will miss Europe

We haven't got a clue where it's going.

Just a few weeks ago, Man Utd were dead in the water and they had just 1 win in 6 league games. Villa couldn't lose a game at home and we were on a good run and were about to get all of our players back. And all of a sudden, they scrape their way to a few wins. Villa lose 3 home games in a row, whilst we lose our first game in a month and a half and it's all doom and gloom again.

We could go and beat Palace and Man Utd get battered by Man City the same weekend and we go clear of them again. Who knows.

If our fans are giving up all hope after 1 loss since boxing day and being the 3rd best form team over the last 10 league games. Then really what's the point?

- Ange is unproven
- Son is finished

So what you seem to be saying is we / Ange are overachieving with regards to and because of ENIC's limited ambition?

Interesting :sonhmm:.......That's what some of us have been saying for years,

Because we damn well ain't over achieving if revenue and financial clout is our parameter

Palace at home has to be one one of the easier games on the run in.

5 games defined the first part of our season.

Chelsea h
Wolves a
City a
Villa h
West Ham h
1/15.

The 5 reverse fixtures could yet define the second part of our season.
0/3 so far.
West Ham, Chelsea and wolves are your stereotypical mid table teams. Win as many as they lose and shit GD.
Crazy that we have given Wolves almost 20% of their points won this season.

We haven't got a clue where it's going.

Just a few weeks ago, Man Utd were dead in the water and they had just 1 win in 6 league games. Villa couldn't lose a game at home and we were on a good run and were about to get all of our players back. And all of a sudden, they scrape their way to a few wins. Villa lose 3 home games in a row, whilst we lose our first game in a month and a half and it's all doom and gloom again.

We could go and beat Palace and Man Utd get battered by Man City the same weekend and we go clear of them again. Who knows.

If our fans are giving up all hope after 1 loss since boxing day and being the 3rd best form team over the last 10 league games. Then really what's the point?

God this all sounds like a carbon copy of the shit you said under Conte. There was even some crap post you ended yeah, we’re doing okay’ when people were pointing out we were playing like shit and you pointed purely to results/form table for ages, denying there were any issues at all under Conte just so you could be fucking optimistic.

People are worried because we’ve been shit for an extended period of time and any fan with eyes can see it. This loss has been coming for ages. But the likes of you will just say fans are crying or that they’re melts, just like you did last time when they were err .. right. Give it a bloody rest, we get it.

So you’re complaining about winning games??? Fuck me,you can’t win every game 5-0. Delusional.
He's not complaining about winning games. He's quite rightly imo questioning whether or not Ange is the perfect angel sent down from heaven to save us....but without a plan B....I'm worried myself about the seeming lack of flexibility in Ange's system. We will be worked out if we don't utilise more than one way of playing.
I'm hopeful that Ange is aware of this but I'm still not totally convinced. These tactics may have worked in Australia, Scotland, Baffinland etc but this is the EPL.

Lol LOL at Shady :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ....Classic

QPmeD7.gif

The problem is this may well be true but there's a huge difference in performance of the club off the pitch to performance on it. Off of it suggests hugely successful club challenging for the big honours and at the top of the game. If you was to take someone that knows nothing of us on the pitch and show them all the off field stats they would come to the conclusion that we are one of the top clubs in the world that regularly succeeds on the pitch. It doesn't marry up once again we get to February with effectively nothing to play for except 4th-6th best league loser. Fans are tired of the same groundhog day feeling every season. We've not got close to a cup final for 3 seasons.

I'm pretty sure I know someone who is over the moon with this scenario though.

Also worth remembering when the last manager was sacked, we were actually 4th

Drives me batshit how many people keep saying how bad we were. We hadn't really been outside the top 4 for most of the season, had a stint at top, and were a dodgy penalty call away from 3rd that day. All while not being at our best, relying on comedy defenders/keepers.
In some regards, there are odd similarities to this season, except this season our main problem has been injured/suspended players rather than people dying and being ill.

So you’re complaining about winning games??? Fuck me,you can’t win every game 5-0. Delusional.
I'm complaining that simpletons ignore a poor performance when we snatch a win from the jaws of defeat.
On the other hand, people did notice a bad performance when we got beaten away at Wolves. Had we limped over the line in that game, all the dribbling plebs would have said we were great, onwards and upwards. We were shit. Had we won, Postecoglou may have been tempted to start Dier in the next game. As it were, he saw him for the prat he is and played a RB instead.

The short version of that is that fans seem capable of seeing a good performance in a loss (Villa, Chelsea) but they absolutely can't see a steaming pile of shit when we win.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

You've been here 8 years less than him and posted a 10th of his posts. And? That makes sense.
He joined in 2015, which is 9 years ago. Which is not 15+ years.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

I never said I've been posting on this forum for that long - but I have been active on Spurs forums for a very long time.

I got banned from SC last year after a very long time posting on there so I came here and found a new home.

No change in manager has ever stopped me from posting or discussing Spurs with fellow fans so the idea that I'm just here for Ange is ridiculous. I don't expect the other poster to know my history but it is what it is.

My original point still remains. I think Ange deserves plenty of time to prove he. has what it takes to make us successful. Every manager has poor performances, makes bad subs, and says weird stuff to journos.

We absolutely should discuss him, his tactics, his subs, his managerial style everything. But context and nuance is important.

I'm pretty sure I know someone who is over the moon with this scenario though.

Drives me batshit how many people keep saying how bad we were. We hadn't really been outside the top 4 for most of the season, had a stint at top, and were a dodgy penalty call away from 3rd that day. All while not being at our best, relying on comedy defenders/keepers.
In some regards, there are odd similarities to this season, except this season our main problem has been injured/suspended players rather than people dying and being ill.

I'm complaining that simpletons ignore a poor performance when we snatch a win from the jaws of defeat.
On the other hand, people did notice a bad performance when we got beaten away at Wolves. Had we limped over the line in that game, all the dribbling plebs would have said we were great, onwards and upwards. We were shit. Had we won, Postecoglou may have been tempted to start Dier in the next game. As it were, he saw him for the prat he is and played a RB instead.

The short version of that is that fans seem capable of seeing a good performance in a loss (Villa, Chelsea) but they absolutely can't see a steaming pile of shit when we win.

We just need to avoid Chelsea somehow.... they have a voodoo curse on us or something...every year shit happens when we play them.

Back
Top Bottom