Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

P
Palace at home has to be one one of the easier games on the run in.

5 games defined the first part of our season.

Chelsea h
Wolves a
City a
Villa h
West Ham h
1/15.

The 5 reverse fixtures could yet define the second part of our season.
0/3 so far.
West Ham, Chelsea and wolves are your stereotypical mid table teams. Win as many as they lose and shit GD.
Crazy that we have given Wolves almost 20% of their points won this season.
Palace are similar to Wolves. Low block, solid and a couple of good players. We need an early goal or this will be the end of him

We haven't got a clue where it's going.

Just a few weeks ago, Man Utd were dead in the water and they had just 1 win in 6 league games. Villa couldn't lose a game at home and we were on a good run and were about to get all of our players back. And all of a sudden, they scrape their way to a few wins. Villa lose 3 home games in a row, whilst we lose our first game in a month and a half and it's all doom and gloom again.

We could go and beat Palace and Man Utd get battered by Man City the same weekend and we go clear of them again. Who knows.

If our fans are giving up all hope after 1 loss since boxing day and being the 3rd best form team over the last 10 league games. Then really what's the point?
Because over the season, style trumps results. We’ve generally been shit since that Chelsea game for one reason or another

Our play in the first ten games indicated a title challenge and that 8 wins / 2 draws was a par return…. Subsequently we’ve played badly. No issue with some of those games without both centre backs and all three midfielders but I see a tipping point

If our fans are giving up all hope after 1 loss since boxing day and being the 3rd best form team over the last 10 league games. Then really what's the point?
Yeah let’s see what mighty teams we’ve faced in the last 10 league games: Wolves, Brighton x2, Brentford, Everton x2, Man Utd, Bournemouth, Forest and Newcastle, conceding 16 goals in the process.

I know the saying you can only beat what’s infront of you, but the average position of these teams we’ve faced is midtable and we haven’t shown much sign of progress. The last game we’ve played well was against Newcastle.

Thoughts? A fairly accurate tongue in cheek summary perhaps? It could have all been pretty much copied off of here.

7) Ange Postecoglou, Tottenham (3)
Just a few worrying signs of the sheen coming off Postecoglou and his football and his team.

It really has been quite a long time since they’ve produced a decent complete performance. The 4-1 win over Newcastle maybe? It probably is. That game was well over two months ago now.

We might be wrong, but we get a sense that Spurs rather complacently felt that getting the band back together would automatically make it the autumn again with performances and results to match. Results had, until last weekend’s limp surrender against Wolves, been okay. But that was a defeat that any Spurs fan could tell you had been coming after a run of unconvincing home wins against Everton, Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton.

The football just isn’t anywhere near as fun as it was. Against Wolves, dare we say it, it was almost Conte-like. James Maddison has returned from injury nothing like the player who was probably the standout in the entire division before limping off on that fateful night against Chelsea.

Spurs remain bafflingly on course to become only the second team in Barclays history to score in every game of a season, but the football comes only in patches now rather than irresistible waves. The 10 minutes after half-time against Brentford were a reminder of what they can do to anyone when it all clicks, but for the most part the last month has been spent waiting for a click that never really comes.

Most worrying of all, though, was the aftermath of the Wolves game. Postecoglou’s “I’m not a magician, mate” was just the first slight glimpse of a manager reaching the inevitable point in the Spurs managerial lifecycle of growing sick with the players at his disposal. While that moment is inevitable, it has come far earlier than anyone could have predicted back in the autumn.

It’s not all doom and gloom and nothing is f***ed. Postecoglou is still in his first season and deserves far more patience than we’re affording here. The season as a whole still represents positive and definitive progress. But still, Postecoglou and his team are either in the midst of an extended funk that needs snapping out of quick smart, or they’ve been worked out. If it’s the latter, they’re in trouble.

Lol LOL at Shady :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ....Classic

QPmeD7.gif

ok?

Because over the season, style trumps results. We’ve generally been shit since that Chelsea game for one reason or another

Our play in the first ten games indicated a title challenge and that 8 wins / 2 draws was a par return…. Subsequently we’ve played badly. No issue with some of those games without both centre backs and all three midfielders but I see a tipping point

Then why are you worried about Man Utd?

Thoughts? A fairly accurate tongue in cheek summary perhaps? It could have all been pretty much copied off of here.

Just a few worrying signs of the sheen coming off Postecoglou and his football and his team.

It really has been quite a long time since they’ve produced a decent complete performance. The 4-1 win over Newcastle maybe? It probably is. That game was well over two months ago now.

We might be wrong, but we get a sense that Spurs rather complacently felt that getting the band back together would automatically make it the autumn again with performances and results to match. Results had, until last weekend’s limp surrender against Wolves, been okay. But that was a defeat that any Spurs fan could tell you had been coming after a run of unconvincing home wins against Everton, Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton.

The football just isn’t anywhere near as fun as it was. Against Wolves, dare we say it, it was almost Conte-like. James Maddison has returned from injury nothing like the player who was probably the standout in the entire division before limping off on that fateful night against Chelsea.

Spurs remain bafflingly on course to become only the second team in Barclays history to score in every game of a season, but the football comes only in patches now rather than irresistible waves. The 10 minutes after half-time against Brentford were a reminder of what they can do to anyone when it all clicks, but for the most part the last month has been spent waiting for a click that never really comes.

Most worrying of all, though, was the aftermath of the Wolves game. Postecoglou’s “I’m not a magician, mate” was just the first slight glimpse of a manager reaching the inevitable point in the Spurs managerial lifecycle of growing sick with the players at his disposal. While that moment is inevitable, it has come far earlier than anyone could have predicted back in the autumn.

It’s not all doom and gloom and nothing is f***ed. Postecoglou is still in his first season and deserves far more patience than we’re affording here. The season as a whole still represents positive and definitive progress. But still, Postecoglou and his team are either in the midst of an extended funk that needs snapping out of quick smart, or they’ve been worked out. If it’s the latter, they’re in trouble.

Yeah. Entirely fair.

Palace are awful. Not sure why people are so worried about playing them.

Pansies.
We have a fanbase that are worried about everything and everything is massive.
Palace are hopeless and we’ll beat them comfortably.
You would think we are in the bottom half of the table with the doom and gloom from Saturday. We’re ok and going in the right direction. For as much as we aren’t playing great our results have still been decent. We will hit form again. I bet there’s a big reaction when we play Palace.

Recent games have suggested the latter, it's a matter of waiting to see if, the team can find some consistency in their form until the end of the season.

We have a fanbase that are worried about everything and everything is massive.
Palace are hopeless and we’ll beat them comfortably.
You would think we are in the bottom half of the table with the doom and gloom from Saturday. We’re ok and going in the right direction. For as much as we aren’t playing great our results have still been decent. We will hit form again. I bet there’s a big reaction when we play Palace.

20 points in the league over 10 games.
Had we beaten wolves joint 1st. 23/30

All I hear about Palace is their relegation form!!

I was stunned at those comments so early into his reign. Almost parroting the sentiments of Antonio Conte just 12 months earlier.

Yeah I'm not convinced. The losses have been to West Ham, Wolves and Villa (plus that debacle we won't speak of). These are not top tier EPL let alone Champions League quality teams or managers.

I watched Celtic in Europe and the finishing was the difference. The style of play did what it was meant to do: create chances. They fell away because they lacked the individual quality.

He has faults (he lacks pragmatism), but overall so far he has exceeded my expectations in what has been a difficult season.
It makes me laugh when people suggest people like Emery aren't good football managers. He's managed nearly 1000 games of football, 4 European Trophies to his name. The guy has forgotten more about football than you have ever known. Elite at his profession.

There's two issues here. I back Ange fully and think we will have to accept he won't do pragmatism. I think we could have tucked Emerson in yesterday bolstered the midfield and drawn Wolves on. We'd have nicked a point or even three. I am also sure Ange knows this. Udogie and Porro are more central to making Angeball work than most anyone else...BUT he's making a point it's macro not micro for him and at this stage ( unpalatable though this is ) he'd rather lose this way than win the 'wrong way' . He's trying to get 100% buy in.

The other point about our general creativity, beyond Udogie and Porro creating space and Maddisons forward passing, has been one I've been pointing too for a few years now. It's why I'm adamant about not signing Gallagher. We need to recruit with an eye toward the highest technical footballers we can get , our squad lacks flair, it lacks player who can face up an oponent and trick them. The wide forward need to be better and so do the the central midfielders. Too many artisans not enough artists.
100% been saying it for years we need that magic player!

Back
Top Bottom