Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why have you got the word Chill in your name?
He's not totally wrong though. I watched the presser and I feel it's the first time he's made a misstep.

He's 7 months into a new job, in which he's stated himself that we're only at the beginning. He could quite simply have reminded them of that, then said don't ask silly questions, then move on.

I'm a big fan of AP, but I really don't think he did himself any favours, with the fanbase, with that response.

When Spurs fail to win this place is an absolute shit show full of angry little man children with nothing going on in their lives. Using this forum as a way to get their anger out. Which I suppose is better than putting one on the Mrs.

Can you imagine if Spurs actually won something?

…This from a guy who posts 30+ times every day on average…

… This from a guy who posted 30+ times every day on average with his multi-profile Totti Totti

… This from a guy who CHEATED fellow TFC-posters in a chess competition by using a chess computer-app

The fucking nerve of this fucking kid :ange-facepalm::ange-facepalm::ange-facepalm::ange-facepalm:

He's not totally wrong though. I watched the presser and I feel it's the first time he's made a misstep.

He's 7 months into a new job, in which he's stated himself that we're only at the beginning. He could quite simply have reminded them of that, then said don't ask silly questions, then move on.

I'm a big fan of AP, but I really don't think he did himself any favours, with the fanbase, with that response.
Not worth worrying about anything said in the media and that includes pressers

Not worth worrying about anything said in the media and that includes pressers
Oh I'm not worried, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm realistic enough to realise that what I hear or read isn't necessarily being interpreted in the way it was meant. I just think he could have handled the question a lot better.

Like I said, it's his first misstep, IMO anyway, so he should be cut some slack here, but I can see why it's had a reaction from some of the fans.

Next to the Broken Britain conversation, this is the funniest thread of the weekend.

The usual complete overreaction from any number of posters at a bad performance without two key players for our system along with the usual gloom-and-doom merchants (which includes one or two poorly disguised non-fans) egging them on.

Yeah, it’s okay to be unconvinced about Ange and he does appear stubborn/ inflexible (as I first noted weeks ago) but we’re 25 or 26 games into his EPL career and on a rebuild where most people didn’t expect us to challenge for top places this season. Given the unavailability of our squad this year, I’d say we’re ahead of where most of us expected (even if we privately hoped for better).
The football has certainly been better in general and the games more entertaining than under Mou or Wiggy.

Mate, you've had the usual suspects on here pick up on that, then weaponise it against other posters in here.

Carrie is spot on, there's no need for the nastiness, but it's as I've been saying for a while, for some posters on here, it's more about using a situation to carry out their personal feuds with those they don't like.

AP is just another excuse to carry out their attacks.

I agree on that. I shouldn’t have brought twitter into it as it’s so far removed from real life it is crazy. People just need to chill the fuck out basically and wait and see what happens. A start would be keeping a manager for longer than 1 or 2 seasons at a minimum. We have no consistency as a club.

reads a bit like a case of "its the hope that kills ya".

After such a bright start, with the expectation that things can only get better. I still believe that if we see it through, now that we found him. Just walk my path, wear my shoes, talk like that, we'll be all Ange, by the end of the season.

Good point about VDV. He’s not a massive threat at corners so keep him back to deal with the counter is a good idea. 👍
Play 3 at the back and leave VDV to cover for counters. Drag and cuti are good in the air. I guess destiny would have been doing the covering at the back from oppo counter attacks.

…This from a guy who posts 30+ times every day on average…

… This from a guy who posted 30+ times every day on average with his multi-profile Totti Totti

… This from a guy who CHEATED fellow TFC-posters in a chess competition by using a chess computer-app

The fucking nerve of this fucking kid :ange-facepalm::ange-facepalm::ange-facepalm::ange-facepalm:
Believe it or not, I clicked Totti’s profile and my internet crashed. The fuck?

It's nothing new, people are always urging managers to change their philosophy when they are still building their team and they are always wrong:
Unbelievably well researched response, bravo sir. Completely agree.

It's really pissing me off hearing pundits, commentators, fans etc all leaning into the 'naive' and 'inflexible' and 'game management' and 'suicidal high line' buzzwords ... it's like people just want to find the easiest excuse for every poor result.

'Well they play this way and they didnt' win so it must be this thing'....

Except that's not even close to the truth. I agree with Ange in his assessment that for the most part we've defended really well during his tenure. Romero and VDV have for the most part been excellent, Vicario has been excellent, the full backs haven't even been caught out defensively very often. Yes people will say "the full backs are too high"/"out of position" but the point is, we want to play in a way that keeps opponents pinned and suffocated - which funnily enough you can only do if you push the full backs on.

The reality is we don't concede many goals due to balls over the top or because we got caught on the counter - a lot of goals we concede have been set piece related in games where we've had our first team back line playing. VDV has been pretty much the ultimate cheat code to playing the way Ange wants us to play.

Giving up chances in games will happen, and Ange knows that and accepts that. But seemingly nobody else is will accept that fact. It's like if you sit back and defend Mou/Conte style you have to accept you won't score as much. It's just how the tactic works. But when executed properly - it will yield results as we have seen in previous games. Put pressure high up the pitch and make the backline and midfield suffocate and most of the time these few chances a game to the opposition will not be enough to overcome our sustained pressure and chances.

Now we have a new challenge to overcome - the low block and especially the 5 at the back low block. This is nothing new - breaking down these teams has always been hard for any team, let alone a newly formed team full of new teammates.

Long story short I wish people could look beyond the end of their nose when analysing this style of play and give it a fucking chance to settle. We have already exceeded expectations but somehow that's not good enough and people still need to moan and poke holes in a fresh plan and project that is working for the most part.

Saw that earlier. Thought the Villa fans comments in the replies was spot on too.
Savva is one of the better you tube content providers. Speaks a lot of sense which prbly most in here would disagree with however he says we need quality no average players like Johnson Werner etc.

It's really pissing me off hearing pundits, commentators, fans etc all leaning into the 'naive' and 'inflexible' and 'game management' and 'suicidal high line' buzzwords ... it's like people just want to find the easiest excuse for every poor result.

Except that's not even close to the truth. I agree with Ange in his assessment that for the most part we've defended really well during his tenure. Romero and VDV have for the most part been excellent, Vicario has been excellent, the full backs haven't even been caught out defensively very often. Yes people will say "the full backs are too high"/"out of position" but the point is, we want to play in a way that keeps opponents pinned and suffocated - which funnily enough you can only do if you push the full backs on.

The reality is we don't concede many goals due to balls over the top or because we got caught on the counter - a lot of goals we concede have been set piece related in games where we've had our first team back line playing. VDV has been pretty much the ultimate cheat code to playing the way Ange wants us to play.

Giving up chances in games will happen, and Ange knows that and accepts that. But seemingly nobody else is will accept that fact. It's like if you sit back and defend Mou/Conte style you have to accept you won't score as much. It's just how the tactic works. But when executed properly - it will yield results as we have seen in previous games. Put pressure high up the pitch and make the backline and midfield suffocate and most of the time these few chances a game to the opposition will not be enough to overcome our sustained pressure and chances.

Now we have a new challenge to overcome - the low block and especially the 5 at the back low block. This is nothing new - breaking down these teams has always been hard for any team, let alone a newly formed team full of new teammates.

Long story short I wish people could look beyond the end of their nose when analysing this style of play and give it a fucking chance to settle. We have already exceeded expectations but somehow that's not good enough and people still need to moan and poke holes in a fresh plan and project that is working for the most part.

It's because he's Australian and came from the SPL, the narrative was set before he even stepped foot in the PL so every time we lose people will revert to the naive/high line stuff because it's the easy opinion to have, pundits and fans are just generally lazy when they analyse football.

You'd pull him back wouldn't you?

We seem to do very little tactical fouling. Which in itself is naive. I hate it and its presence in the game but it happens. Every other team does it. It's like he's been suspended twice this season and doesn't want to risk more games. 🤷‍♀️

Right after replaygate we were shown cards left and right for so much as farting. A couple of hours ago Ayew was booked for dissent and minutes later dropped to the floor for a dive just outside the box. Similar to what Biss got a red for. Just was motioned to get up and life moved on.

In the last two games both Deki and possibly Madders could have gone to ground in the box with plausible contact but stayed upright. That to me seems like they have been instructed to keep it as clean as possible to avoid suspension. I don't mind it. I take pleasure in us not being pen merchants like the cunt teams.

One of the main dipper tactics is to hoof it long and look for a foul in or around the box.

Savva is one of the better you tube content providers. Speaks a lot of sense which prbly most in here would disagree with however he says we need quality no average players like Johnson Werner etc.
the reason Savva is unpopular is- he doesn't gloss over issues and gives thumbs up to everything thru rose coloured glasses.

Ange works on shoe-string budgets -even in Scotland. The SPL Japanese players wages are a pittance compared to Premier League. Therefore he buys cheap and unknowns.

Maybe the owners and him are on the same page? since he 's not playing academy players -he would have to find other hidden gems on the mkt. It would be very expensive to bring in 6 to 8 quality players. I mean quality - not average like the Werners .

Nailed a whole lot of great points with that one mate!

/// Yes people will say "the full backs are too high"/"out of position" but the point is, we want to play in a way that keeps opponents pinned and suffocated - which funnily enough you can only do if you push the full backs on. ///

rubbish analysis.

if you push that high - your backs are not backs but attackers. You are relegating the defensive duties else where or non existent when opponents counter attack.

If all your backs are deployed this way surely you are creating plenty of chances, beating defenders to the byline , crossing the ball, shooting at the goals and scoring goals. How many shots on targetr did we have against Wolves? Do Wolves looked SUFFOCATED and PINNED?
:porrohands:

Back
Top Bottom