Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a word to those of you looking forward to Angie as your manager.

If Angie was as brilliant a manager as the Scottish press portrays him, then it stands to reason that I, as a Rangers supporter, would be ecstatic at Spurs luring him away from Celtic.

Well, I'm not.
Quite the opposite, in fact, I'll be right pissed off if you do sign him!

Angie has been extremely successful with Celtic in Scotland for two reasons:
Scottish football was once decent in comparison to the top leagues. Today the Spfl, while not quite a pub league, it isn't far off.
And when you add uncontrolled amateur bigoted refs into the mix then any quality the league once had evaporates.

If you want to judge Angie's quality as a manager, you can't look to his accomplishments in a bigoted Scotland or in a Japanese league, judge his tactics when Celtic play European opposition with refs who aren't bigoted.
Celtics results in Europe are embarrassing and Angie's tactics are naive - even against teams who aren't in the top leagues.
At best, Angie's managerial skills are at a mid Championship league level and that's pushing it.

If Spurs pick him up I, as a Rangers supporter, will honestly be extremely pissed off.
Ange, to make a long story short is - sh*te!

Tantrum Crying GIF

Wow so your saying Jose and Conte have no tactics? Fuck me sideways! Pretty sure everyone understands they have tactics though they didn't fit with us. However seeing they won multiple Proper leagues an European trophies Im geussing they know what they are talking about
Shit tactics that they couldnt adapt to the players they had. Thats not so good is it. For the money they were on and so called elite managers they were fucking shit. Also acted as though we were blessed to have them. Fuck that

Pretty mad how many articles like this there have been.

The Spurs beat writers I can understand but random telegraph journalists is strange.

Is this his agent getting these written? or is the club really dropping hints that he's the one?

Not really, it's just journos doing what they do best and taking advantage of a popular narrative and story for engagement and clicks.

Or maybe he is just an interesting manager?

He definitely is interesting.

Is he the only interesting one, though?

And why is everyone thinking emotionally and saying that we have to get some big charismatic dad figure to unite the fans?

I like the articles about his tactics and football ideas. Have concerns that he may be a bit Bielsa against the level of coaching in the prem but that stuff we would have to wait and find out.

Just don't get why everyone is so roped in with it. Club needs a structure and a sports director with a head coach on the same page.

A Hun talking about bias Refs what a Joke, you let your team die mate, you could only win a league when stadiums were empty. I detest you and your plastic Irish mates but from a club who had no pens against them this season what a cheek
It's interesting that you say your objective, yet only make disparaging comments regarding Rangers by referring to a Rangers' supporter as a 'hun', and Rangers as a team who 'died'.

If you were remotely objective, then you might have mentioned Celtic FC as the abhorrent historical home to pedophelia rings, or that they 'died' when Pacific Shelf 595 was formed.

However, such opinions as you and I have on Rangers and Celtic are irrelevant on a Spurs forum.

What is relevant on this forum is the managerial qualities of Angie. And, as I pointed out, accurate assessment is the performances of his team and his tactics in Europe which are, as the objective record clearly shows - absolute embarrassing sh*te!

And why is everyone thinking emotionally and saying that we have to get some big charismatic dad figure to unite the fans?

I like the articles about his tactics and football ideas. Have concerns that he may be a bit Bielsa against the level of coaching in the prem but that stuff we would have to wait and find out.

Just don't get why everyone is so roped in with it. Club needs a structure and a sports director with a head coach on the same page.
Because the expectations have been lowered to a point now that just having attacking football is enough to get most Spurs fans on board.

It's just people trying to cope with the state of the football club, the state which Levy has left it in, a managers graveyard.

Of course he's not the only interesting one but he's the name in the frame right now. A week ago the same articles were being written about Slot. Journalists have to write something to put in the paper.

Just a word to those of you looking forward to Angie as your manager.

If Angie was as brilliant a manager as the Scottish press portrays him, then it stands to reason that I, as a Rangers supporter, would be ecstatic at Spurs luring him away from Celtic.

Well, I'm not.
Quite the opposite, in fact, I'll be right pissed off if you do sign him!

Angie has been extremely successful with Celtic in Scotland for two reasons:
Scottish football was once decent in comparison to the top leagues. Today the Spfl, while not quite a pub league, it isn't far off.
And when you add uncontrolled amateur bigoted refs into the mix then any quality the league once had evaporates.

If you want to judge Angie's quality as a manager, you can't look to his accomplishments in a bigoted Scotland or in a Japanese league, judge his tactics when Celtic play European opposition with refs who aren't bigoted.
Celtics results in Europe are embarrassing and Angie's tactics are naive - even against teams who aren't in the top leagues.
At best, Angie's managerial skills are at a mid Championship league level and that's pushing it.

If Spurs pick him up I, as a Rangers supporter, will honestly be extremely pissed off.
Ange, to make a long story short is - sh*te!
Sorry Spurs forum people for derailing, but sweet Mary mother of Jesus, is this a Rangers supporter bleating on about bigoted refs when they hadn't conceded a single penalty at Ibrox in 50-something games? And before conceding that one, they had another stretch of not conceding for... 50-something games. It's unheard of anywhere else in professional football, but aye, must just be a coincidence! Meanwhile, their RB Tavernier has reached 100 goals for the club on account of the crazy number of penalties awarded. What a time to be alive.

The reality is - and penalties for and against both sides support this season upon season - Rangers have to be gifted constant helping hands to maintain a title race. Yet in spite of this, the RB Ange signed in January already has more trophies than the Rangers captain who has been there about 7 years. Our Japanese translator who arrived last year has double FFS.

So my suggestion would be to ignore the mad ramblings of Rangers supporters, who as a result of abject failure have become way too sad and bitter to give a view in any way resembling reality.

Haven’t we got them on the board already? He looks a nothing appointment one of those where people will say what does he do. How can you have a football operations chief who has no real football background. Fir examples what dies he know about women’s football?
No idea. all I know about him is what the podcast said.

Hey, there's an article in a Scottish rag saying Spurs weren't only interested in signing Angie.
They were also interested in signing wee manga boy Kyogo as a partner for Kane.

So this gif you posted of Kyogo doing one of his weekly dives is certainly relevant content for Spurs supporters intit!
:)

I think most appointments outside of proven Premier League managers and others who have had huge success with big clubs abroad and in international competition are a risk.

I think Ange is a risk we can/should take providing there is an understanding he will oversee a rebuild and our expectations will be slightly lowered (I.e. if we get back into European football right away that’s great but if we don’t but see signs of improvement and an identity close to the Spurs DNA, that is also fine).

I think it depends on what the brief from Levy is. Does he feel we need to win a trophy right away? If this was the brief I would argue Levy is way over is head but assuming it is then don’t bring in Postecoglou as his lack of experience in the top flight (however good his coaching and man-management may be) is too much of a risk.

On another note, I feel his lack of experience in European Football despite coaching for 25+ years has more to do with the fact that he is Australian rather than a bad coach. I feel that was a greater barrier to entry into the European market than anything else as he has won everywhere he went and has won in an ‘easy on the eye’ way. The fanbases of the clubs he has passed through seem to all love him so I believe he may have the ability to ‘unite’ the Spurs fans like Klopp did at Liverpool amongst all the toxicity from the fans.

I would be happy to take a chance on him but only if the brief is to oversee a rebuild and give him time even through a bad/patch phase.

Back
Top Bottom