Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A general problem I have noticed over the last few months is that for a pressing team, we don’t press very well at all.

We don’t win the ball in the attacking third too often, we’re late to closing down which gives them a little more time to pick out the pass to break our press, we foul needlessly in positions of strength that relieve pressure (Kulusevski is king of this).

Not sure if this is fatigue or tactical but we struggle mightily in this area in my view.
I thought we were about 5 yards off everywhere in the press today. It was easier than it should’ve been to get out.

We’ve had most of our missing personnel back for a few games now and there hasn’t been much of an upsurge in form or performance.

The two most urgent things that need to be addressed is how predicable we’ve become. There’s no Plan B. The defending on set pieces as well, which is just shocking.

Well, we missed two key players today for a start and bcause our squad isn't good enough it showed...

We haven't played our strongest starting eleven since the beginning of November...

Again, depends what you mean by Plan B. There's been plenty of games this season where we've changed our set up and sometimes it's worked, sometimes it hasnt.

This forum is so reactionary it's hilarious.

We've lost 1 of our last 4....

Is this a results business or not?
It's supposed to be entertaining too.

We might have only lost one of the last four but we've been fucking awful.

Conte, Jose, Nuno - all derided for shit, pointless football. I know we are in early days and there are mitigating factors but it's been fucking awful and that early season performances look like they were flukes more than design. Because he's got almost everyone back, has a week between games and it's shit.

If you are entertained then fucking amazing for you. For me it's just looking a bit familiar with the end result. No likilhood of actually winning anything.

Postecoglous first 25 league games at Spurs :

14 wins
5 draws
6 losses
52 goals scored
38 conceded
5 cleansheets
1.88 PPG

Klopps first 25 league games at Liverpool:

12 wins
6 draws
7 losses
48 goals scored
33 goals conceded
7 cleansheets
1.68 PPG

Guardiolas first 25 league games at Man City:

16 wins
4 draws
5 losses
51 goals scored
29 goals conceded
6 cleansheets
2.08 PPG

Artetas first 25 league games at Woolwich:

12 wins
7 draws
6 losses
40 goals scored
26 goals conceded
9 cleansheets
1.72 PPG

If anything, we seem to be right on track.

Now let's hope that we can build the squad suited to Ange and his style. Like those above.
This is very insightful to be honest. We are all disappointed about today but we are only 8 months into this under Ange.

Hopefully Liverpool rumours are true and we get Poch back. Wee Ange is a fraud.
Oh my...

200w.gif

I predict a lynching!

And the cups.
I agree with Fulham. But facing a confident city team at any stage will most likely result in a loss.

Personally I think we’ve been a victim of our early success! Top of the league and was a Fantastic time to be a fan. This season was always going to be a struggle and had we not started as well as we did then this current ‘identity Crisis’ wouldn’t have been so hard to bear

It's supposed to be entertaining too.

Well, that depends who you ask.

Both the wins in the last four games entertained me.

We might have only lost one of the last four but we've been fucking awful.

Again, depends how high your expectations really are.

I didn't think we were awful against Brighton at all.

Conte, Jose, Nuno - all derided for shit, pointless football. I know we are in early days and there are mitigating factors but it's been fucking awful and that early season performances look like they were flukes more than design. Because he's got almost everyone back, has a week between games and it's shit.

😂😂😂😂

Yeah mate. Flukes.

If you are entertained then fucking amazing for you. For me it's just looking a bit familiar with the end result. No likilhood of actually winning anything.

Never mind eh?

I would stop supporting the club if that fcuking traitor returned.

Postecoglou won't get the Liverpool job..
How is he a traitor ffs!

He wasn't backed and then got sacked like all the other scapegoats before and after him. Who the fuck are we to decide his future employment options under such circumstances.

You need to grow the fuck up, mate

Well, that depends who you ask.

Both the wins in the last four games entertained me.

Again, depends how high your expectations really are.

I didn't think we were awful against Brighton at all.

😂😂😂😂

Yeah mate. Flukes.

Never mind eh?

We've had four years of fucking shit pointless football. First half of the season I was excited. We are not playing anywhere near that level now, it's a distant dream.

My expectation is that we get a team that tries to win and that we might actually win something again. We've fucked both competitions we've been in and are throwing away the strong position we've been in.

And I'm not saying the first ten games were flukes, but more that what was achieved then is the outlier as we aren't even close to that.

And yeah, never mind that we won't win anything of merit. 🤣

We've had four years of fucking shit pointless football. First half of the season I was excited. We are not playing anywhere near that level now, it's a distant dream.

My expectation is that we get a team that tries to win and that we might actually win something again. We've fucked both competitions we've been in and are throwing away the strong position we've been in.

And I'm not saying the first ten games were flukes, but more that what was achieved then is the outlier as we aren't even close to that.

And yeah, never mind that we won't win anything of merit. 🤣

7 months in. Squad not good enough.

To expect us to keep up the same level, when we've been ravaged by injuries, suspensions and international tournament seems a bit like your expectations were far too high to begin with.

As for winning something. You're out of your mind. Our squad isn't even capable of rotating full backs successfully. We aren't anywhere near winning stuff with what we've got right now.

Alot better positioned than in previous years though, I'd say

Do you know how long it took Klopp to win a trophy?

The tactics are not right if you lose the ball in the attacking third and with 2 or 3 simple passes the opposition are consistently in on goal. Teams have worked us out, defend with numbers and break quickly when they win the ball

We just managed to only have good cover to our central defence and possibly the wingers within 1 window and people are losing their patience with Ange project. FML.

Today showed how weak we are in the FBs AND also a creative mid because Madders today is no way the confident Madders we knew from the first 10 games. Without a maestro in the midfield we are shit blunt in attack progression.

Midfield and forward line needs to sort itself out.

Partly long term in the wide positions because we'll need to buy, but Ange hasn't helped it by selecting totally off the pace/intensity Maddison/Bentancur in recent weeks, and he claims to have wanted 50m Johnson and also Werner, two transitional runners totally at odds with his supposed ethos of intricate pass and move possession ball.

Not huge criticism, and I think with a functioning midfield things look better, but Ange needs to be ruthless in the coming weeks. If Maddison/Bentancur are playing like that I doubt they're looking different in training, if players by the next game still don't look fit/100% then don't play them. And I hope he's insisting on upgrades on the flanks for the summer rather than giving people endless chances.

The tactics are not right if you lose the ball in the attacking third and with 2 or 3 simple passes the opposition are consistently in on goal. Teams have worked us out, defend with numbers and break quickly when they win the ball

Then we should probably do better in terms of creating chances and scoring them....

That's like saying teams have found Guardiolas team out when all it takes is long balls and clever play to bypass their high line

Our players being brain dead offensively isn't a tactical issue mate. It's the squad not being good enough at this moment in time.

Well, we missed two key players today for a start and bcause our squad isn't good enough it showed...

We haven't played our strongest starting eleven since the beginning of November...

Again, depends what you mean by Plan B. There's been plenty of games this season where we've changed our set up and sometimes it's worked, sometimes it hasnt.

This forum is so reactionary it's hilarious.
When we had half a team missing including Maddison and both CB's we could legitimately gripe about injuries.
Griping about having two out is just excuses.
Other clubs have more than that and are performing much better than we are.

Stop making excuses. We are playing one game a week, there is excuse for lethargy from the player's.

The performances have been poor for a while now.

They all need a boot up the arse including Ange. If he has no plan B vs a low block and break side we are in trouble.

How is he a traitor ffs!

He wasn't backed and then got sacked like all the other scapegoats before and after him. Who the fuck are we to decide his future employment options under such circumstances.

You need to grow the fuck up, mate
You are a snake mate. Never known any Spurs fan to revel in our losses or failure to win games as much as you.

Fcuking shocking.

You only turn up on bad days. Shameful.

There is some valid criticism here, we're seeing situations the last few weeks where eg. all of Bissouma + the fullbacks have gone forward with the attack/into the penalty area, the ball breaks, and we're left with a back two and then the chaos of trying to scramble back and defend it.

You can say you want to be an attacking team and take risks, ok. But the situation(s) I describe above are just wilfully naive and not really acceptable for a serious top tier PL team.

All of City, Liverpool, Woolwich, etc. will also say their aim is to attack and overwhelm and dominate games, but in 2020's football you have to be aware of transitions/counters and set up with them in mind. They will keep four or five players behind the ball, the eg. inverted fullbacks will sit as a midfield pivot rather than going wherever they like, they attack and dominate games whilst retaining some positional structure and balance. Having this aids control, if the ball breaks they have players there to instantly mop up, and means they can attack more.....

Linked to this is the pressing, those 5 seconds or so after a turnover of possession are crucial and in recent weeks we don't seem quite as dialled in as we could, and need to up the standards in this aspect.

Should say though to finish that it is a trade-off. There is no magic tactic/philosophy and they all have strengths and weaknesses. If you want to play in this manner then you will get counter-attacked and concede goals from it. But I do accept we could and probably should be a bit smarter in our approach, which doesn't have to mean changing the overall ethos and aim to dominate/attack.

Back
Top Bottom