Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, it's convenient because pre 2007 we were mostly mid table wank for close to two decades. Whereas Liverpool were consistently finishing top four and winning trophies

Then we started to over take them. We made the right decisions and they were making all the wrong ones. For most of the next 10 years we finished above them in the league but when Klopp took over everything slowly changed and you could see it.

Up until Klopps first trophy, they had 1 trophy in 12 years. We were at 1 trophy in 10. They've since gone on to win 5 more under his tenure. And we went back to making the wrong decisions and falling further and further behind.

Our situations were hardly the same, we were very good for a large period under Poch. Went deep in to a number of competitions, couple of title ‘challenges’, strong squad, stable club.

Liverpool during that period nearly went in to administration and had to recover from that.

Over the last 15 years we’ve (generally) been pretty good and yet failed to pick up anything. That’s odd. Even this season we’re doing quite well, no Europe & yet out of both cups early.

Our situations were hardly the same, we were very good for a large period under Poch. Went deep in to a number of competitions, couple of title ‘challenges’, strong squad, stable club.

Liverpool during that period nearly went in to administration and had to recover from that.

Over the last 15 years we’ve (generally) been pretty good and yet failed to pick up anything. That’s odd. Even this season we’re doing quite well, no Europe & yet out of both cups early.

I didn't say the situations were the same.

But the whole when they were shit they'd pick up trophies just wasn't entirely true. Before Klopp arrived and transformed them, they had 1 trophy in 12 years.

They won 2 domestic trophies throughout the entirety of the 90s. The same as us. And we were much shitter.

Between the early 00s and when Benitez left they most definitely weren't shit and that's when they won the majority of their trophies outside of Klopp in the last 30 years.

Fuck yourself you little gimp, go look at their history, they win fairly consistently, you dumb twat.

Why don’t you go and enjoy their cheating fake history on their forum then you snidey little scouse cunt,

Feels like you’ve outed yourself by accident. Enjoy mediocrity dipper twat. No amount of asthma meds can protect you from the irrelevance coming

But the whole when they were shit they'd pick up trophies just wasn't entirely true. Before Klopp arrived and transformed them, they had 1 trophy in 12 years.

They won 2 domestic trophies throughout the entirety of the 90s. The same as us. And we were much shitter.

Between the early 00s and when Benitez left they most definitely weren't shit and that's when they won the majority of their trophies outside of Klopp in the last 30 years.

Nicely done.

Stone cold facts for the dipper simps

But we have had an extended period of ‘prosperity’ (very good under Redknapp, shit for a bit, fantastic under Poch) and won nothing. That is unusual. Post ENIC Spurs seem to do consistently reasonably (or very) well in the league but fail in the cups.

We could be very good under Ange for the next 4-5 years and I’d still not be remotely surprised if we ended up trophyless. Which is weird and not many fans of other clubs would feel the same way.

Nicely done.

Stone cold facts for the dipper simps

Pointing out that even when we’re good we are bad at winning trophies isn’t simping for the fucking dippers, get a grip.

It’s not even about them specifically. Take them out of the conversation and the reality is the same - 15 years of mostly being a top 4 challenging side and yet not even a league cup to show for it.

Why? Bad luck? Strategy? Mentality?

Delusional to think Liverpool would even want Postecoglou. They have far better options. Despite what the Ange fanboys say, hes somewhat an unknown quantity. Yes hes had a decent few months and done some good things but he’s had no european football to contend with and has got us knocked out of every cup competition with a whimper.

Where does he merit a move to one of the biggest, most consistent clubs of the past decade?

Just being honest

Pointing out that even when we’re good we are bad at winning trophies isn’t simping for the fucking dippers, get a grip.

It’s not even about them specifically. Take them out of the conversation and the reality is the same - 15 years of mostly being a top 4 challenging side and yet not even a league cup to show for it.

Why? Bad luck? Strategy? Mentality?

I don’t have the answer to that question but that manager and those players have all left the club.

Why would this current crop and this manager be anything like them?

Delusional to think Liverpool would even want Postecoglou. They have far better options. Despite what the Ange fanboys say, hes somewhat an unknown quantity. Yes hes had a decent few months and done some good things but he’s had no european football to contend with and has got us knocked out of every cup competition with a whimper.

Where does he merit a move to one of the biggest, most consistent clubs of the past decade?

Just being honest

Back to the gym for you I think.

Just being honest

Sure they would. He’s generally impressed people a lot within the league and the playstyle would transition well.

Liverpool are unlikely to go for some big marquee option. Klopp was a one off incredibly opportunity, they will go for someone like Alonso imo.

I don’t have the answer to that question but that manager and those players have all left the club.

Why would this current crop and this manager be anything like them?

We had a crop with Modric, Bale, VDV and some decent players round them before and still won nothing during that time.

I don’t know but it does feel like as a club we’ve been missing something when it comes to cups with the top 4 being the overwhelming focus. Hopefully Ange changes that.

We had a crop with Modric, Bale, VDV and some decent players round them before and still won nothing during that time.

I don’t know but it does feel like as a club we’ve been missing something when it comes to cups with the top 4 being the overwhelming focus. Hopefully Ange changes that.

And sold them just as they reached their peaks.

But again those players aren’t these players. That manager isn’t this manager. Humans are different.

All that curse shit is just superstitious waffle.

The status quo can be broken

Liverpool dont want Ange. This whole bedwetting is just ego mental masturbation fanboys circlejerking about Ange. Its a pointless conversation. We all know hes not going to liverpool.

Lets just focus on our next game.

He’s not going to Liverpool there I agree.

I’ve never been to a circle jerk so I’ll have to take your word for it if you think you are seeing another one now. You clearly have that experience

Spurs and Liverpool were on equal peggings mid 2015ish but both clubs took completely different paths. Liverpool decided to invest wisely, when needed, in strong positions, and back the manager even if the player was expensive and wasnt in the whole “young resale potential flip resale buy” catagory

Spurs sat on their hands and didnt back the manager and eventually things fizzled out. If liverpool had done to Klopp what Spurs did to Poch, Klopp would have left years ago too.

Its as simple as that. Had spurs backed Poch, he would have still been here today. Liverpool had ambition and went the extra mile and won league titles and european trophies. Spurs sold beers and built a go kart track. Levels.

Just being honest

Alonso and De Zerbi are the other options

If you think they're 'far' better options than Ange then you're a bigger fucking idiot I originally took you for.

Just curious, if ange was approached for liverpool job would he go?
Unless he's got an escape clause in his contract I don't imagine it would be an option for him. Spurs could let him go, but Levy would ask far too much in return. And Liverpool probably wouldn't be interested in him in terms of being a good match for their style of play.

But we have had an extended period of ‘prosperity’ (very good under Redknapp, shit for a bit, fantastic under Poch) and won nothing. That is unusual. Post ENIC Spurs seem to do consistently reasonably (or very) well in the league but fail in the cups.

We could be very good under Ange for the next 4-5 years and I’d still not be remotely surprised if we ended up trophyless. Which is weird and not many fans of other clubs would feel the same way.

No idea why we can't seem to get over the line.

Why we can absolutely dominate Contes Chelsea in the league only to lose to them in a cup semi, with Son at left back. Why we can dominate Mourinhos Man Utd in a home game at Wembley, only for them to knock us out in the semi final of the cup at the same stadium, with Vorm in goal.

Or why the likes of Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth etc have knocked us out of the cups when we've been relatively great league wise.

Our cup history over the last 7 decades:

2020-2030 - 1 cup final*
2010-2020 - 2 cup finals
2000-2010 - 3 cup finals
1990-2000 - 2 cup finals
1980-1990 - 5 cup finals
1970-1980 - 3 cup finals
1960-1970 - 4 cup finals

Now our semi final history over the last 7 decades:

2020-2030 - 2*
2010-2020 - 6
2000-2010 - 6
1990-2000 - 6
1980-1990 - 7
1970-1980 - 7
1960-1970 - 5

We're getting to semi finals and latter stages of competitions pretty consistently over the same period of time.

But football is a different game. In the 70s and 80s you'd be beating the likes of Watford, QPR, Burnley etc in these Cup semi and finals.

And over the last decade plus you're competing with the likes of financial juggernauts in Chelsea and Man City at their peak but also mix in historical winners like Liverpool and Man Utd in the mix.

I really hope we can win something. Just to shut people up tbh. We should have won stuff over the last 15 years, absolutely. Poor coaching, game management, bad luck and just not showing up have cost us within that time.

I do think we'll win something in the next few years. But that's easier said than done.

Back
Top Bottom