Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The correct conclusion.

Adapt isn’t a change in philosophy.

Did he start playing long ball? No
Did he suddenly give up on being a tiki taka, Cruyf disciple? No

He got better at defending long balls that’s it.

Btw we don’t struggle with long ball either, maybe Ange already adapted to that.

None of you asking for Plan b would be able to analyse the way he played in Japan or Scotland and spot the adaptations made since moving here.

Success for what? A tilt at title charge? Don’t you think he gets into front 3 for goons, citeh, dippers, barcodes, villa, etc?

I think he’s already shown enough in his first season to make it pretty obvious he’s going to score and assist a shit ton of goals.

He doesn’t start for those teams this season but next season might be a very different story.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mO9fb5daLY

We mean be first to the second ball. We mean defend in the air. We mean be more aggressive defensively especially in big games away from home even if it means more defensive midfielders. We mean these are priorities before you play your philosophy. If the players aren't winning the second ball, they haven't earnt the right to play any philosophy. And if it's still over your head, fine, saves me explaining unsolicitedly anyway.

Yes you have to fight to earn the right to play your football. No fannying around have to be committed and aggressive. What last few months have shown is the team lacks these qualities in abundance. No real passion in our play. The number of games you watch our play in the first half and think “ get on with it”. We just waste time doing things very slowly then get pinched in the bus. All of a sudden we wake up and start taking free kicks, throw ins , etc quicker.

If you think the philosophy of Conte or even Mourinho gets beaten 6-1 or 4-0 by Newcastle away from home, it just doesn't. It is literally impossible to happen. Even Poch changed his philosophy for Newcastle away after being beaten 5-1. He had to adapt. The idea that we can just play our football the way we want to play away from home against half-decent pressing teams is a ridiculous philosophy. This isn't Hearts away. The philosophy changes for teams like Newcastle, you respect them more, or you get tanked.

Mourinhos philosophy lost to a team who’s manager was in prison.

You are a joke.

Reply if you want to but I’m done with you. Thought you were in good faith but clearly not even attempting to be honest.

What a load of shite - claiming these are easy points just makes you sound like a tube.
Then going on about what ifs and imaginary scenarios where we are 3pts of the top. Get a grip.
I mean, the word easy was in quotation marks, read between the lines before you get your knickers in such a twist...

Pointing out 1 point from 12 against West Ham and Wolves as room for improvement is hardly demanding perfection.

Mourinhos philosophy lost to a team who’s manager was in prison.

You are a joke.

Reply if you want to but I’m done with you. Thought you were in good faith but clearly not even attempting to be honest.

Mourinho's philosophy never lost 4-0 or 6-1 away against Newcastle is the point. Hardly a joke.

The reason Ange didn't need to change in Scotland is because all of his players were the 1st and 2nd best in the league. They were playing Dundee United instead and could win 9-0.

We can't rock up to Newcastle and outplay them because our players are 6th best in the league. Just like when his Celtic team tried to outplay Madrid and got battered.

I'm not Ange out, at all. We need to go through with the painful rebuild at some point, so there's no point bottling out of it now. Certainly when you consider how much there is to admire about his ideas, character etc. However, we're also all too aware of how quickly a fan base and more importantly this club can turn in terms of it's support for the manager (Justifiably in the past).

If by next Sunday evening we've been on the end of not just 4 consecutive losses, but 4 consecutive heavy beatings, the reality of living through that will be hard for a big portion of this fan base to stomach. Suddenly, the narrative becomes "Our league position is skewed by an unbelievable start" and "Well we've not really played exceptionally well, bar Villa away since before Christmas, and "the cup performances were a disgrace" etc. This utopian idea of giving him until the end of next season comewhat may will just be impossible. It'll get too loud and I don't think the club holds it's nerve.

That's just catastrophic thinking on my part for the moment though. Let's pray this next week goes better than many of us anticipate.

I think I got one like and one agree and a hell of a lot more disagrees and grief when I questioned our first 10 games at the time.

I pointed out our last 10 games were a lot harder than the first but general consensus was by April the team would be full AngeBall. Especially from his long term fans from other clubs.
One guy compared him to Fergie once we were top of the league just try and move us!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it.
I compared him to Sir Alex, feel free to hold me to that anytime, at any date in the future

Back
Top Bottom