Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's irrelevant.
The fact that the expectations of the fans of one of the wealthiest clubs on the planet have plummeted to sewer levels where a season of 0 cup runs, 0 European football, a likely 5th place finish and planning permission for a new hotel is viewed as a good season is testament to the disgusting, loser mentality seeping down from the hierarchy and permeating throughout the club.

Conte was right.
I want us to be challenging but I’m a realist and know that it would not happen over the course. . We hung in for a while but with our squad it was never sustainable.
I don’t give a flying fuck about a hotel and only care where we are going on the pitch. To be successful foundations need to be laid and I think Ange has done a decent job of doing that this season and that remains to been whether we can kick on.
I have my doubts but not because the manager isn’t capable but because the club won’t give him what he needs to compete with the added games of European football.

If there’s a manager that wants success it’s Ange. The club need to start sticking their neck out a bit.

It's truly bizarre how Levy got such an easy ride banking the Kane fee rather than lining up and securing a top notch, ready to go replacement.
Something that's not been talked about nearly enough.
We spent the Kane money on Richarlison the year before IMO. And some of the early signings we made last summer when Kane was still there.

Our current league position is very much based on our first 10 games as teams struggled to figure us out.
It very much looks like we have been figured out now. Teams looks capable of exposing our defence and putting up a decent fight against our forwards.

Imagine if you are the first Australian to manage in the premier league.

You served your time as a coach in the A league then as National coach at the World Cup, coached abroad in the J league won the league there and go to Scotland and then win the treble there.
Competed in the CL with Celtic against European greats.

You’ve literally done it all.

Then you get given the chance to manage one of the Big 6 in England. Follow Poch, Conte, Mourinho. Big hitters in European football.
No mean feat.

And then the fans of that club are saying.

“Yeah whatever. Any bloke from Australia could do what you’re doing. Do your job mate, you’re not that fucking special”.

You lot are fucking hilarious.

One of these muppets compared his journey to them winning their local 5 a side. Another one compared it to Accrington Stanley…

And even then both missed the point that where you come from doesn’t dictate your ability. Would love to be a fly on the wall watching any of them try to coach anyone.

Our current league position is very much based on our first 10 games as teams struggled to figure us out.
It very much looks like we have been figured out now. Teams looks capable of exposing our defence and putting up a decent fight against our forwards.

When we win games have we been un figured out then?

Or is it that some coaches aren’t tactically smart enough to watch the games we lost and do the magic tactics to beat us?

When we win games have we been un figured out then?

Or is it that some coaches aren’t tactically smart enough to watch the games we lost and do the magic tactics to beat us?

I've been bored senseless in a lot of our wins. The opposition has generally kept us at bay for long periods of time. Defend narrow in the penalty box, force us to play outside of it, and watch us struggle.
We've struggled to beat or even draw against teams that have all been comprehensively blown away recently.

2-2 at Everton for them to get beat 6-0 by a Chelsea team our fans think is worse than us.
2-1 vs Luton who got beat 5 & 6 1 recently by City and bloody Brentford
1-1 Vs West Ham who get beat 5-2 vs a shite Palace

Why are we labouring to wins against teams who get walloped by other teams so often?
In most of our recent wins, we have won the games because of a 10-15 minutes spells. Outside of those spells, we've been shit and I 100% include Villa in that. 2 goals early in the 2nd half is so normal for us. We were crap for the whole first half the midway of the 2nd and then got 2 more late goals against 10 men who had played in Europe a few days before.

There's huge concerns for me about the way we play and the we're struggling to string a few wins together.

But the first 10 games are still a part of the season. If we win the last 6 do they not count because there was too much pressure on the top teams??
You say we’ve been figured out but we still win games🤷‍♂️
Why did master tactician Emery not figure us out?

Newcastle are the only team that have bullied us this season even though we’ve lost other games. Even Fulham away we should have scored a few that night and Brighton away could have been 6-6

I've been bored senseless in a lot of our wins. The opposition has generally kept us at bay for long periods of time. Defend narrow in the penalty box, force us to play outside of it, and watch us struggle.
We've struggled to beat or even draw against teams that have all been comprehensively blown away recently.

2-2 at Everton for them to get beat 6-0 by a Chelsea team our fans think is worse than us.

Why are we labouring to wins against teams who get walloped by other teams so often?
In most of our recent wins, we have won the games because of a 10-15 minutes spells. Outside of those spells, we've been shit and I 100% include Villa in that. 2 goals early in the 2nd half is so normal for us. We were crap for the whole first half the midway of the 2nd and then got 2 more late goals against 10 men who had played in Europe a few days before.

There's huge concerns for me about the way we play and the we're struggling to string a few wins together.

Chelsea are 10th. Perma 10th. Has Poch not been figured out as well?

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Broken fucking record.

But the first 10 games are still a part of the season. If we win the last 6 do they not count because there was too much pressure on the top teams??
You say we’ve been figured out but we still win games🤷‍♂️
Why did master tactician Emery not figure us out?

Newcastle are the only team that have bullied us this season even though we’ve lost other games. Even Fulham away we should have scored a few that night and Brighton away could have been 6-6
If we maintained the results from the first 10 (or heaven forbid, got better) then yeah. But we haven't. We've been getting steadily worse. Even after all the players came back.
Never heard of new manager bounce? Like I've said many times, our system and its problems seem to have been figured out. Whether the opposition team is good enough to execute the plan is the only question really. Expect a lot of balls over the top thanks to Newcastle now. On top of the corners. And the packing of the box.
Chelsea are 10th. Perma 10th. Has Poch not been figured out as well?
Thing is, they have got better in the last couple of months. In a mirror version of us, they're down there because they were awful at the start. We did well to put some air between us and the middle of the table then. But since then, a lot of those teams have been taking roughly the same amount of points as us.

It works in both directions. Leicester, who were bottom of the league with 7 games to play in 2015 went on a run of 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss. I said there and then that they suddenly looked like title winners, not relegation fodder. Shame I'm not a gambling man.
We on the other hand had 10 decent results at the start of the season taking an average of 2.6 points per game. In the next 10 games we took 1.3 points per game. In the next 10 games 1.7 ppg. Over the last 3 so far 1.3 ppg
Very average points per game returns after the mythical 10.
Apply the same to Chelsea and their ppg is increasing.

Way to much talk and criticism about Ange right now. People have no patience anymore. Remember Arteta, Klopp and Pep in their first seasons? Remember how people loved Jose and Conte early on?

Give Ange time. These discussions should be happening around January next year, not in season 1.

EFL cup loss he played all backups to see what they could do.
FA Cup was a tough loss to City.
The league is better than anyone expected with CL still possible.

People need to just relax and see how things go over the next 9 months to see if there is improvement or not.

We are way better off then under Jose or Conte so you can't say there hasn't been improvement.

Way to much talk and criticism about Ange right now. People have no patience anymore. Remember Arteta, Klopp and Pep in their first seasons? Remember how people loved Jose and Conte early on?

Give Ange time. These discussions should be happening around January next year, not in season 1.

People need to just relax and see how things go over the next 9 months to see if there is improvement or not.

We are way better off then under Jose or Conte so you can't say there hasn't been improvement.
Calls for him to go are ridiculous. Given it's his 1st season he has done very well and we should give him another before properly evaluating.

At the same time, people are allowed to be concerned about the obvious issues that are emerging

Firstly - very few managers get better just because you keep them. Teams have tried the old "stick with him" advice from the cliche and got relegated.
Secondly, I'm not here saying we should sack Ange or even that i don't like him. Just that I'm seeing a decline rather than an improvement this season and I can't see why others aren't also seeing it.
He might fix it. He might lose the next 6 and we won't find out. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom