Andy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some people like to argue that he could be a useful plan B when we're struggling to score, but I really don't think "hoof the ball into the box at Carroll" is anywhere near as likely to get a goal as our normal attacking play

He hates us? I doubt it. For the right money Carroll would go anywhere, he made that clear with his move to Anfield.

He does hate us. We give him stick every time we come up against him.
And your point about for the right money he would come to us is correct. He would come to us.
But only if we paid "Liverpool money" - Levy is smart enough not to bankroll this transfer.
Wages would be in excess of £80k a week. Can't see it happening.

I do think that Carroll is a good player. But he isnt a Spurs player. Too similar to Adebayor and Crouch.

We need a player like Hulk. (Disclaimer - im not saying buy him. Just someone the exact same)
He is physically able, technicaly gifted and would fit right into our system.

I'd take him for less than £10m. I'd quite like us to have a striker that two of the best wingers on the planet could try to cross to.

I do like the idea though, of checking out the lower leagues. Players like Holt and Lambert would get 20 in a team like ours. It appears I'm never going to get my Steven Fletcher wish granted, so I'm now going to move on to Jordan Rhodes.

Said it in another thread, and I'll put it here for completion's sake. I really rate him. Strong, good feet, best header of the ball we could conceivably sign for a reasonable fee. People need to forget his whole time at Liverpool, because he's picked up at West Ham, a place where he's valued and properly used right, where he left off at Newcastle- I've had an eye on him all season and not one defence has been able to handle him, our included. And before people jump in saying he couldn't do the same job for us, bear in mind he's not even the kind of player that only works in a long ball system- half of his PL goals so far were scored with his feet, and created for himself. You know, just like what we've wanted our strikers to do all season.

Don't like him as a first team regular? Use him contextually, or as an impact sub. He'll still be able to make a crucial difference for us.

If around £10-12m is the price, I wouldn't even think about it. He'd do a wonderful job, and he's young. I understand the domestic abuse thing might make him unpalatable to some, and I won't argue against that. For what it's worth, I just think he's a misled youngster who suffered from bad role models within the clubs he played for.

One thing that would concern me about signing carroll is that when we had crouch a player in a similar style, our players more so late on in games when nerves played a part just started to hoof the ball.

This seeped into our play at other times and whenever crouch was on the pitch we stopped trying to pass it and the players reverted to the easy option and hoofed it.

My worry is that without a playmaker(no modric type in oure team) that we would just go down the easy route and play long ball.

As much as one up front now seems to be the default way of playing in this division i think more of an emphasis is place on that striker having the skills to hold the ball up and bring the attacking midfielders into play as it is their heading ability.

One thing that would concern me about signing carroll is that when we had crouch a player in a similar style, our players more so late on in games when nerves played a part just started to hoof the ball.

This seeped into our play at other times and whenever crouch was on the pitch we stopped trying to pass it and the players reverted to the easy option and hoofed it.

My worry is that without a playmaker(no modric type in oure team) that we would just go down the easy route and play long ball.

As much as one up front now seems to be the default way of playing in this division i think more of an emphasis is place on that striker having the skills to hold the ball up and bring the attacking midfielders into play as it is their heading ability.

I think Carroll is quite good at creating for others though. Did you see his assist today? Held up the ball and flicked overhead to put Nolan through.

I don't think he's going to be truly world-class in his career, but I equally don't think the taint of being part of a terribly-run Liverpool team in which absolutely no-one played to their potential (just look at how much better everyone from Downing to even Suarez has been this term) should be held against him forever. Before, and after, he's shown himself to be a more dangerous and complete player than he gets credit for.

He won't come to us anyway, we hate him he hates us. Made his feelings clear when he scored against us at Upton Park.

Dear Ade scored more against us than him. A lot more.

He seemed to enjoy it a lot. The cunt.

But he was welcomed with open arms.....

Not sure that's an argument bud.

I get your point. But I blame Redknapp for this. I really do.

I think Carroll is quite good at creating for others though. Did you see his assist today? Held up the ball and flicked overhead to put Nolan through.

I don't think he's going to be truly world-class in his career, but I equally don't think the taint of being part of a terribly-run Liverpool team in which absolutely no-one played to their potential (just look at how much better everyone from Downing to even Suarez has been this term) should be held against him forever. Before, and after, he's shown himself to be a more dangerous and complete player than he gets credit for.

Did not catch his goal, i saw the thing about he gets more goals with his feet then his head. Im not discounting that he is probably better then people give him credit for. I think bent also had a better all round game then people gave him credit for.

For me i think value for money can be had else where though in carroll's favour he knows the league which can be a problem for players coming from abroad.

The two big points i would make is and i shall admit it know, i am massively in love with berbatov and maybe why i dislike ade is because i can not believe we purchased him ahead of berba.

But i have nightmares of us just launching the ball to carroll not because we do not think he can play with the ball on the ground. But because our players get nervous or are just plain stupid and decide this is the best thing to do.

One of the worst things i can remember in recent history is how VDV would towards the end of games just start kicking the ball long to crouch, towards the end of his time with us VDV would do this at the start of games. I thought to myself god if a classy player like VDV decides to play it long when we have a big man upfront i dont want to ever see that again at spurs.

Carroll is probably more then capable will the ball on the ground but for me it is a fear that whenever a player puts on the spurs shirt all reason and logic leaves them and then turn into brain dead idiots after awhile, hell even VDV started to play long ball.

Did not catch his goal, i saw the thing about he gets more goals with his feet then his head. Im not discounting that he is probably better then people give him credit for. I think bent also had a better all round game then people gave him credit for.

For me i think value for money can be had else where though in carroll's favour he knows the league which can be a problem for players coming from abroad.

The two big points i would make is and i shall admit it know, i am massively in love with berbatov and maybe why i dislike ade is because i can not believe we purchased him ahead of berba.

But i have nightmares of us just launching the ball to carroll not because we do not think he can play with the ball on the ground. But because our players get nervous or are just plain stupid and decide this is the best thing to do.

One of the worst things i can remember in recent history is how VDV would towards the end of games just start kicking the ball long to crouch, towards the end of his time with us VDV would do this at the start of games. I thought to myself god if a classy player like VDV decides to play it long when we have a big man upfront i dont want to ever see that again at spurs.

Carroll is probably more then capable will the ball on the ground but for me it is a fear that whenever a player puts on the spurs shirt all reason and logic leaves them and then turn into brain dead idiots after awhile, hell even VDV started to play long ball.

Agreed mate, no one wants to see us perpetually fall back on Route One with a target man in the side. But I don't think AVB would ever allow this to happen. You have to remember that Crouch and VDV played together under Harry "football should be a simple game/I told the players to do what they wanted" Redknapp. I'm not knocking the often beautiful anarchy of Harry's preferred style of play, but a lack of tactical discipline will breed lazy play when things aren't quite going the relevant side's way.

AVB has a very rigid philosophy- he likes a pressing game and he likes to dominate games possession-wise. He wouldn't let the existence of Carroll in the side compromise that. On the contrary, I'm sure he would find a use for him that would make him an effective member of the unit, as he did when he transformed Bale and Lennon into essentially new players.

Eh, we could do far worse, and it's possible that he'd be amazing for us.

Still want us to go for Dzeko, but if Carroll is available at a price that makes sense (hint: not 35m) then we could do far worse.

How much do you people ( I said you people) think Liverpool wants for carrol? Some have said more for carrol than michu which I think is ridiculous. I'm seeing carrol at close to 10m and michu closer to 20m. I don't think we should be in for carrol at 10 or michu at 20. I would like to have both but think the money wanted could better suit other positions/players.

Back
Top Bottom