Andros Townsend's role this season???

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With all this fuss about incoming/outgoing/missfiring wide players the player I'm looking forward to seeing in the coming season has to be Yago Falque. In competative fixtures he looked impressive (what little he saw) last season, some real spark to his runs. Aparrently he went down well at Almeria who, although at a much lower level, seemed to get thier moneys worth out of him with him getting 20 games.

Anyone else fancy him making an appearance this season, or try send him out to find some PL experience?

I think there is good reason to suggest that Lennon doesn't make runs in behind the full-back as often as he used to, but this is not because he has become lazy, it's because he's learning more. He used to run in too often, giving up his space in midfield and leaving his RB exposed. In recent years he has looked to choose more carefully when to run in behind, and when to stay in the middle providing a wide option and protecting his full-back, which he does well.

If we play a similar set up as last year i could see him coming on when we are down on the right and let bale come into the middle. So our attack would be Chadli-Bale-Townsend with soldado up top of course. Honestly see this is as the season lennon goes. He is good in a crossing system but we scored very few goals from crosses last year. AVB is quoted as saying he likes to play with the ball on the ground and not in the air. I think Lennon is more of a traditional winger which isnt what AVB likes to play with.

If we play a similar set up as last year i could see him coming on when we are down on the right and let bale come into the middle. So our attack would be Chadli-Bale-Townsend with soldado up top of course. Honestly see this is as the season lennon goes. He is good in a crossing system but we scored very few goals from crosses last year. AVB is quoted as saying he likes to play with the ball on the ground and not in the air. I think Lennon is more of a traditional winger which isnt what AVB likes to play with.
With someone like Soldado in the right positions, Lennon making those crosses could be devastating.

I think that Townsend is about ready to quit Tottenham if he doesnt get a solid amount of time. I think Townsend's potential is higher than lennons and we need to be willing to cut lennons time to give some to Townsend.

I think that Townsend is about ready to quit Tottenham if he doesnt get a solid amount of time. I think Townsend's potential is higher than lennons and we need to be willing to cut lennons time to give some to Townsend.
That's a different argument and one that makes some sense (though I don't have enough of an opinion on Townsend's potential to agree/disagree with you).

Based on what evidence? Townsend playing a few games for a dipshit side like last years QPR band of monkeys, or Lennons last 8 seasons?

If you are going to make statements like that, it might be a good idea to put a bit of substance behind them. Lennon is 4 years older than Townsend and has 8 premier league seasons under his belt, to make them comparable lets just look at the last 4 seasons,
-Lennon - a regular when fit ,
- Townsend - dressing room jockstrap collector.
As was just said, any suggestions of swapping the 2 out are insanely premature, until Townsend can prove in training, and then on matchday that he is consistently better than Lennon, because up to now - I don't believe that there has been any evidence to support the idea.

Whether it was QPR or not, Townsend visibly acquired a much needed surge in confidence from his semester at Loftus Road. I thought he played quite well at Monaco on Saturday, and I believe he certainly deserves some minutes to show what he's got. Would like to see him start the cup games and certainly the Europa group games. After how bad the Caulker sale has bit us in the ass, for the love of God we cannot let another young English talent leave because of perceived "depth."

Carroll got about 16 games last season, if Townsend can get that or slightly more this season then hopefully that will be enough for him. Personally I hope he gets used as an impact sub quite often, I expect him to be on the bench often at least.

Back
Top Bottom