Andros Townsend's role this season???

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It seems that Spurs fans love to do this to themselves, and over the last 10 seasons it has happened time and again. Some kid comes through the ranks and farts around the team fringes, has a burst of semi decent substitutions or cup games against accrington stanley etc - and everyone starts claiming they are the new messiah. O'Hara (cant get a start in a tier 3 club) Taarabt (flogged off by a tier 2 side on loan) Livermore (more than likely off to a Hull or Reading type of team sometime soon) etc etc
Now we have Carroll and Townsend, who everyone wants to be the first to "spot" their potential.
There is a reason that they are not in the first team guys, and if the club wants to move forward, I doubt that they will ever be anything more than subs, or desperation in-fills, or used to play Kazak Goatfucker FC away in the Europa league.

It seems that Spurs fans love to do this to themselves, and over the last 10 seasons it has happened time and again. Some kid comes through the ranks and farts around the team fringes, has a burst of semi decent substitutions or cup games against accrington stanley etc - and everyone starts claiming they are the new messiah. O'Hara (cant get a start in a tier 3 club) Taarabt (flogged off by a tier 2 side on loan) Livermore (more than likely off to a Hull or Reading type of team sometime soon) etc etc
Now we have Carroll and Townsend, who everyone wants to be the first to "spot" their potential.
There is a reason that they are not in the first team guys, and if the club wants to move forward, I doubt that they will ever be anything more than subs, or desperation in-fills, or used to play Kazak Goatfucker FC away in the Europa league.
Well Townsend proved last season that he was competitive in the premier league getting some goals and assists for QPR, as well as this Carroll was also getting assists in the premier league. I think Carroll should go out on loan but then Townsend to stay and fight for his place.

Well Townsend proved last season that he was competitive in the premier league getting some goals and assists for QPR, as well as this Carroll was also getting assists in the premier league. I think Carroll should go out on loan but then Townsend to stay and fight for his place.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think either of them are poor players, or not premier league standard, I just don't believe that they are the Bale, Soldado, Paulinho, Vertonghen, Lloris, Lennon standard that we need to make the team a force to be reckoned with.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think either of them are poor players, or not premier league standard, I just don't believe that they are the Bale, Soldado, Paulinho, Vertonghen, Lloris, Lennon standard that we need to make the team a force to be reckoned with.
Mate, you need to give players a chance if they are to make it at the top level. If we hadn't sent Walker to Villa he'd probably have been sold by now. I personally am not aboard the Carroll band wagon as I think he has a lot to learn, but how does he do that if not through being given a chance in cup games and off the bench in games we are controlling?

As for Townsend, he was very good for QPR and has shown in his Spurs cameos that he has the spark to change the tempo of a game and make a difference. I personally think he should be given the chance to prove himself as, whilst he isn't a Bale, I think he could certainly play to Lennon's level.

I believe that Townsend has the potential to be better then Lennon, while Lennon has better passing and pace, Townsend is still very fast but also has strength and a much better shot on him.

Mate, you need to give players a chance if they are to make it at the top level. If we hadn't sent Walker to Villa he'd probably have been sold by now. I personally am not aboard the Carroll band wagon as I think he has a lot to learn, but how does he do that if not through being given a chance in cup games and off the bench in games we are controlling?

As for Townsend, he was very good for QPR and has shown in his Spurs cameos that he has the spark to change the tempo of a game and make a difference. I personally think he should be given the chance to prove himself as, whilst he isn't a Bale, I think he could certainly play to Lennon's level.
They are getting a chance, and I'm happy to have them around to do the in-fill, early round cup games and substitute appearances that their talent level dictates. I'm just not of the opinion that they have that little bit extra that will set them up for a permanent run at the first team. Townsend to me is as good as Lennon, at Lennon's worst, when Lennon is on fire then Townsend can't touch him. Long term though, we should be looking for better prospects.

I believe that Townsend has the potential to be better then Lennon, while Lennon has better passing and pace, Townsend is still very fast but also has strength and a much better shot on him.
I disagree, I haven't seen anything from Townsend that suggests he's better in any department. Pound for pound Lennon is greater tackler than a significant proportion of the midfielders in the PL, and has significantly better ball control, dribbling skills and pace than Townsend (certainly in the games that I have seen him play in) As for a better shot - I have seen Townsend resort to wild swipes at the ball from outside the box, but Lennon doesn't do that as his forte is to get into the box and score, cross or cause panic, why would he trade those attributes in for lazy swipe at goal?

You're a complete fucking clown. I said I don't think he will make it, not "ARRGHHH BURN HIM, GET HIM OUT OF MY LILIWHITE".

We need four strikers, Kane should be the fourth![/quote]
He is isn't he - the drivel he posts makes you want to take a cheese grater to your eyeballs.

Harry got a bit of a bad rap for continually picking the same players, even when they were harbouring niggly injuries and eventually became fatigued. To be honest it's probably why we always seem to dip in form at the end of the season.

I see no harm with a bit of squad rotation to try and ensure your strongest players are fit and available for the harder games.

In my eyes it makes more sense starting a player like Townsend in (supposedly) easier fixtures, with more experienced players like Lennon to come on if our backs are to the wall.
It's not like you have to think "...ah cup game, bring out the youth team" - I'd quite like us to win a cup!

Back
Top Bottom