Alfie Devine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tbh I think we can afford to sell all of Lo Celso, Hojbjerg AND Skipp. Skipp of course is club trained but Devine can replace him as I think he would be club trained as well? then another CM comes in for Hojbjerg and Lo Celso.

Maddison
Bentancur
Bissouma
Sarr
New
Devine

6 players for 3 positions.
Devine will be on List B (u21 players) for both Prem and UEFA for next season and the season after so will only be club-trained as part of the 25man squad from 26/27 onwards. Basically won't take up a slot for a couple of seasons. Skipp's basically got a free place in the squad too for the next couple of seasons because we won't have enough club-trained players so just depends on whether Ange thinks he can develop him or whether he needs to be moved on

This loan goes well are the club looking Devine for Maddison understudy next season?

Thing is, if he’s not then we probably need to sign someone to play when Maddison can’t. GLC can’t stay fit. But if they sign someone because Devine needs another year on loan, his path to the first team gets less likely.
Yeah I think so.

Maybe the idea is to use kulusevski there against the better opposition.

The amount of young talent at the the club and getting linked to more and more. I doubt the club will want to block their pathway. That being said if you do buy someone better then it's better for the club anyway.

But it ultimately depends on devine he's proved he can handle men's football just needs to show he has the quality to play in the Prem.

This loan goes well are the club looking Devine for Maddison understudy next season?

Thing is, if he’s not then we probably need to sign someone to play when Maddison can’t. GLC can’t stay fit. But if they sign someone because Devine needs another year on loan, his path to the first team gets less likely.

Ange reviews the situation in summer - and as Devine went on last pre-season tour (looking very good in the West Ham match, only match he played in - probably one of best 5 players for Spurs in that match ), he'll likely go on pre-season again to make his case that he deserves a squad place (and that Ange wil play him next season).

For the rest of this season it looks like Donley might get some minutes off bench, understudying several positions including Maddison, left wing and even CM - his last outing for some 15 mins (including added time of about 8 mins) was as a DM.

And next season I'd guess Donley's on loan - so some long term planning required in recruitment. The good news with both Devine and Donley is they take up a 'Club Trained' place eventually, and 'List B' before that for UEFA purposes which means atm they take up a currently vacant place. And in PL will initially be counted as u21's so again not taking up a squad place. So in both cases it allows extra players in the squad.

Yeah I think so.

Maybe the idea is to use kulusevski there against the better opposition.

The amount of young talent at the the club and getting linked to more and more. I doubt the club will want to block their pathway. That being said if you do buy someone better then it's better for the club anyway.

But it ultimately depends on devine he's proved he can handle men's football just needs to show he has the quality to play in the Prem.

Agree with all that.

But I think its in club's interest to give Devine, Donley and other club trained players (who sho an appropriate level of skill and desire) a year or two in first team squad as they are extra players in the squad who do not take up a squad place. And if they show what Ange wants to see, they stay and if not they will move on to another club better suited to their talents.

When initially in the first team squad its likely they will get a few minutes off the bench, just as Veliz and Donley have had this season, before getting a few starts if they've shown enough. So its not detrimental to first team squad or players at all.

Agree with all that.

But I think its in club's interest to give Devine, Donley and other club trained players (who sho an appropriate level of skill and desire) a year or two in first team squad as they are extra players in the squad who do not take up a squad place. And if they show what Ange wants to see, they stay and if not they will move on to another club better suited to their talents.

When initially in the first team squad its likely they will get a few minutes off the bench, just as Veliz and Donley have had this season, before getting a few starts if they've shown enough. So its not detrimental to first team squad or players at all.
Yeah it is 100% in the clubs interest for them to develop especially right now as it seems we have a crop of excellent young talent in u21 and u18(Moore and Hall). Who could go on the to have great futures in the game

I would be very surprised if one or two players from our current crop of under21s don't go on to be regular first team players for us

IF Devine need to go out on loan next season - then Kulu and GLC can back up Madders and keep a place warm for him.

Devine is going to be star - signing someone who would block his path = complete waste of money imho.

Personally given Alfie’s positional versatility (can play 10, 8 and 6) and development/experience this year, I really think he could make real contribution to team next season and won’t need to go out on loan.

Devine subbed off after 75', I thought he had a pretty good game, though he didn't see much of the ball in the first half.

Great performance from him today, he kept moving the ball quickly, to the right players, and had a hand in two goals. He also pressed well.

Back
Top Bottom