Alfie Devine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've seen enough if this guy to come to the conclusion I think he has 'it'. I don't think it's false hype like Winks and sadly Skipp and he has everything to succeed with us.

What I find a bit hard seeing is when he will get his opportunity if we buy another CM.
Currently we have:
Maddison
Bissouma
Sarr
Bentancur
Skipp
Lo Celso
Hojberg
Bergvall

Assuming we sell Hojbjerg and Lo Celso that's still 6 CMs. If we then buy another CM that would be 7 cms for 3 positions not including Devine.

We could also sell Skipp and Devine comes in as he's HG but even then that's 7 cms including Devine.

I've seen enough if this guy to come to the conclusion I think he has 'it'. I don't think it's false hype like Winks and sadly Skipp and he has everything to succeed with us.

What I find a bit hard seeing is when he will get his opportunity if we buy another CM.
Currently we have:
Maddison
Bissouma
Sarr
Bentancur
Skipp
Lo Celso
Hojberg
Bergvall

Assuming we sell Hojbjerg and Lo Celso that's still 6 CMs. If we then buy another CM that would be 7 cms for 3 positions not including Devine.

We could also sell Skipp and Devine comes in as he's HG but even then that's 7 cms including Devine.
If we keep him and sell Lo Celso he'd be the only Maddison rotation out of those so he'd get chances. I think he'll get another loan though.

If we keep him and sell Lo Celso he'd be the only Maddison rotation out of those so he'd get chances. I think he'll get another loan though.
nah he wouldnt get chances imo.

Ange has already said he doesn't see positions. There's no number 6 or number 8 in his mind as the position is interchangeable and he simply sees a midfielder.

nah he wouldnt get chances imo.

Ange has already said he doesn't see positions. There's no number 6 or number 8 in his mind as the position is interchangeable and he simply sees a midfielder.
He can say that but I don't think we'll see Bissouma in Maddison's position any time soon.

He can say that but I don't think we'll see Bissouma in Maddison's position any time soon.
within reason. Bentancur, Kulu and probably new CM will be chosen in Maddisons position ahead of him. Probably even Bergvall as well.

I like to see the openings for our young talented players providing they're actually not all hype. I don't see it in the cm position (if we get another cm) and I don't see it at the CB position if we get another CB.

within reason. Bentancur, Kulu and probably new CM will be chosen in Maddisons position ahead of him. Probably even Bergvall as well.

I like to see the openings for our young talented players providing they're actually not all hype. I don't see it in the cm position (if we get another cm) and I don't see it at the CB position if we get another CB.
It all depends on how he does in Plymouth and in training. There's no reason he can't start over Bentancur, and I don't see why Bergvall would start over him, he's more of an 8 from what I understand, and it's not like he's more developed.

Our team has broken down with basically one game a week. If he's in the squad next year over players like Hojbjerg and Lo Celso, he'll get plenty of minutes with us in 4 comps.

Currently we have:
Maddison
Bissouma
Sarr
Bentancur
Skipp
Lo Celso
Hojberg
Bergvall

Devine may go on loan again next season. He still has time.

He's looking great at Champo level and serious talent but we have to remember how good Skipp was for Norwich. Even then Skipp is still a young player. Loooads of time for Devine to become a huge player for us.

Devine may go on loan again next season. He still has time.

He's looking great at Champo level and serious talent but we have to remember how good Skipp was for Norwich. Even then Skipp is still a young player. Loooads of time for Devine to become a huge player for us.
I’d like to see him loaned to (a) Luton next season.

Currently we have:
Maddison
Bissouma
Sarr
Bentancur
Skipp
Lo Celso
Hojberg
Bergvall

If we sell Lo Celso and Hojberg we have 5 experienced CM's - Maddison, Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and Skipp.

I'm hopeful that Ange will look at Devine's season performances at Port Vale and Plymouth, followed by next preseason, (he looked good in limited playing time lasy summer) and decide he can trust him to be 6th CM, probably with limited but regular playing time whilst Devine adapts to playing PL and CL - most of the minutes next season are likely going to be played by the 5 experienced CM's reinforced by Kulusevski if we get injuries. He'll be aged 20 in August and throughout next season so it maybe he only gets a dozen or so starts next season - there are few CM's in PL at that age so even limited playing time will be quite exceptional, but he's always played above his age group at Spurs and Wigan and is physically well developed so I think he'll be fine if Ange trusts him.

Bergvall is only 18 now, 19 next February and whilst he looks phenomenal in the clips I've seen that is in a far inferior league and he'll get far less time in PL and CL plus PL will be far more physical, and whilst tall I've no idea how physically strong he is. My guess is he will follow a similar path to Devine, but may play less in his first season simply as he's younger and has more adjustment to do as Devine's League 1 and Championship experience are probably both tougher than Swedish top league.

So in short think of Devine and Bergivall sharing the 6th CM place ( with an 'emergency' back up of Kulusevski should it be necessary).

But with only one season playing professional football Ange may prefer to give Devine a 6 moth or year loan out next season : I don't think we know until end of this season

If we buy another player who can play at CM, which is certainly possible, it maybe we buy a versatile player who, for example, could also cover at CB or AM/winger (Eze being one example) as if we go deep in europe and/or domestic cups Ange will need to rotate the squad and deal with injuries, so player versatility may be very very helpful.

Thought he did ok midweek. He was doing a lot of organising in the midfield, getting players up to the press. Can move the ball quickly .
Plymouth v Leeds today live on Sky 1230 KO.

Thought he did ok midweek. He was doing a lot of organising in the midfield, getting players up to the press. Can move the ball quickly .
Plymouth v Leeds today live on Sky 1230 KO.
OK is underselling him. He was one of the best players on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom