AC Milan v Tottenham Hotspur at the mighty San Siro. Champions League RO16 1st Leg. 14/2/23 20:00.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have nothing to base this on. But I wonder if we played a bit less wide last season.

Emerson clearly ain't a WB, and Sessegnon and Reggie didn't set the left flank on fire either. So we played quicker more vertical balls directly to Kane but now we play out to the wings.

Would be interesting to see such data if it is available.
No.

We played quick and vertical to Kane too often.

This is what frustrated me the most, we struggle to create chances because we play too narrow.

Getting the ball into Kane early isn't bad, but it means he has to play back to goal and often has 2 or 3 defenders on him. He then has to lay it off to runners.

I've always said this, being live at the game gives you a different perspective, you can see the big picture.
In all the away European games we have tried to play into Kane with Deki/Son/Richarlison running off him.
The link up play isn't quite there and keeps breaking down.

Our biggest issue is when it gets to the wide areas we don't take on the man and get to the byline. Deki is devastating when he fakes to cut on the left but instead takes it down the line to the right. Never once has he done that in the past 3 games. Keeps stopping and turning back.
Perisic doesn't have the speed or skill to beat his man. Son plays too in field and is always caught it traffic, receiving the ball back to goal. Very rarely do our players pick up the ball facing the attacking direction.

The other problem with hitting it into Kane is that he has to play deep and then he's not in the box to do anything.

Our run last season towards the end was because the width Doherty and Deki provided on the right, which opened up space for Son on the left.

We can't blame suspensions or injuries for yesterday. Everyone walking back from the game said Skipp and Sarr were our best players. Problem is the rest of the idiots around them and Conte.

If Son starts on Sunday, I'm gonna give the game a miss.
We actually looked more capable when Richarlison and Danjuma came on last night.
Imagine that for 90 minutes instead of 10

No.

We played quick and vertical to Kane too often.

This is what frustrated me the most, we struggle to create chances because we play too narrow.

Getting the ball into Kane early isn't bad, but it means he has to play back to goal and often has 2 or 3 defenders on him. He then has to lay it off to runners.

I've always said this, being live at the game gives you a different perspective, you can see the big picture.
In all the away European games we have tried to play into Kane with Deki/Son/Richarlison running off him.
The link up play isn't quite there and keeps breaking down.

Our biggest issue is when it gets to the wide areas we don't take on the man and get to the byline. Deki is devastating when he fakes to cut on the left but instead takes it down the line to the right. Never once has he done that in the past 3 games. Keeps stopping and turning back.
Perisic doesn't have the speed or skill to beat his man. Son plays too in field and is always caught it traffic, receiving the ball back to goal. Very rarely do our players pick up the ball facing the attacking direction.

The other problem with hitting it into Kane is that he has to play deep and then he's not in the box to do anything.

Our run last season towards the end was because the width Doherty and Deki provided on the right, which opened up space for Son on the left.

We can't blame suspensions or injuries for yesterday. Everyone walking back from the game said Skipp and Sarr were our best players. Problem is the rest of the idiots around them and Conte.

I am with you on all of that. It’s why I just don’t understand why we aren’t trying the same things as last season. Is it just because teams have caught on perhaps? We can all see Conte is inflexible, probably the most inflexible coach I can ever remember us having.

Frustrating as fuck though... If we'd shown a bit of quality and incisiveness we'd have romped it; but the sad fact is, apart from crosses into a packed box and Davies & Sarr shooting from 30 yards, we created precisely ZERO.

Only just finished watching the game. Bullet points (which I assume are already widely acknowledged):

- Skipp, Sarr & Emerson all put in good shifts and were the closest we came to 'highlights'.
- Kane grafted well, but didn't get a sniff of goal nor the chance to hit any quarterback passes, because our WFs are spending the entire game with their back to goal.
- Son playing way too deep and with his back to goal all game meant he sucked once again.
- Romero was rubbish on their goal.
- The way we're playing we will get jack-shit out of Richarlison whether we start him or not..... Our build up is so slow that the oppo back line are always set and in position by the time we get the ball up-field and he's not not the player to breach a packed 18 yard line with intricate technical play.
Frustrating is the right word , they were there for the taking

We actually looked more capable when Richarlison and Danjuma came on last night.

well schedule a trip to the cinema or something then for 4.30pm sunday, I recommend 'The Whale'
because i'm pretty certain son will start unless he picks up a knock in training.

What players I crave?
U were adamant the young players weren’t good enough and wanted to continue with the tried and tested garbage

That Danish fraud should not be coming back into this side, Devine > PEH. Let’s get more youth and energy alongside Romero, Kulu, Kane etc and discard the established, inconsistent dross

Danjuma didn’t get long enough at all, but he controlled the ball nicely once and looked comfortable for a few seconds. More than Son did

Richy is just an uncontrollable menace - elastic legs, movement, work rate and diving. I don’t know what to think of him yet but I wanna see much more of him as he’s certainly not boring

Its funny- we have enough pieces to make a useful attacking something out of our squad, but thanks to Conte's inflexibility, no possibility of doing that. That's on Levy.

It hurts a bit to think what we might look like by now if we had gotten Ten Hag instead: Missing out on a new CB so we could sign Porro while sending Spence out on loan and still ending up with Emerson as 1st choice RWB? Swap Gil out for Danjuma just so you can keep on playing Son? It all just seems so bizarre and stupid at this point.
So Conte's inflexibility is Levy's fault??

Conté works with these players every day in training. He has a few trophies behind his name that tend to make me believe he is capable of making good decisions. We all laughed at him and ridiculed him for Emerson. Guess he has justified his decision. I'm sure the same can be said for Richarlison.

Conte has been consistently wrong about Emerson but for 2 games now.

There is nothing in our general performance levels that indicate to me, that Conte is in any way or shape on top of this, not on the tactical level nor on the man managment level.

My reference for that are our actual performances. The games. How we play, fight and adapt. Or don't.

No it didn't. Romero lost the header and dier did nothing. You weren't watching the game yesterday clearly.
what do you want Dier to do - like the Leicester game he was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. If he had lunged in on either opportunity he would give away a pen, because any contact - and the striker drops like dead terrorist.

And potentially gets a red.

Kane was as poor as Kulusevski and son last night. Offfered little to nothing and lost the ball on numerous occasions

Tottenham's biggest problem is Harry Kane's supporting cast has gone missing (Todays DT)​

When Harry Kane dropped into midfield, Simon Kjaer came with him. When Kane jumped for a ball, Kjaer jumped with him. When Kane sprinted in behind, Kjaer ran with him. The AC Milan defender may be 33, well beyond his physical prime, but in Tuesday’s Champions League meeting with Tottenham Hotspur he had a sole purpose and he stuck to it relentlessly: stop Kane.
Few defenders in recent seasons have been so successful in a one-to-one contest with the England captain, even if Kjaer was occasionally fortunate with some refereeing decisions. And from Milan’s perspective, the strategy worked perfectly. Kjaer kept Kane out of the game and, in doing so, effectively shut down the entire Spurs attack.
It was a measure of the situation at Spurs that, without Kane being able to influence the match, Antonio Conte’s side had no other ideas at the San Siro. No creativity, no chances, no real prospect of scoring a goal. They played well otherwise, but when the ball reached the final third there was a complete lack of invention and incisiveness.
On Tuesday night, Kane was flanked by Son Heung-min and Dejan Kulusevski from the start. By the end he had Richarlison and Arnaut Danjuma for company. Those are four experienced, quality forward players — but none of them even came close to offering genuine offensive threat.
The most worrying part for Spurs is that this is not even unusual. Kane’s support act has simply not provided the goals and assists that are expected — and needed — at a team of Tottenham’s ambition. The performance in Milan represented a continuation of the theme, and underlined how reliant Conte’s side have become on Kane to make the attack function.
This season, Kane has been directly involved in 22 goals for his club in all competitions (19 goals, three assists). That is twice as many as Son, who has eight goals and three assists, and more than twice as many as all of his other attacking team-mates.

Harry Kane was well shackled by AC Milan's Simon Kjaer at San Siro -

Richarlison and Kulusevski, especially, have not provided the number of decisive moments that would have been expected by Spurs supporters, and indeed by Conte, at the start of the season. Both of those wide forwards have played 20 games this season, in all competitions, and both of them have scored only two goals.

There are mitigating factors in both cases: Richarlison and Kulusevski have had injury issues this season, and have been unable to feature as consistently as they would have hoped. But their returns are still unquestionably disappointing, and there is little to suggest those figures are going to change any time soon.
At which point it is worth remembering that Richarlison cost £60 million when he joined from Everton this summer, and that Kulusevski is set to cost around £30million when his loan deal from Juventus becomes a permanent move. That is almost £100 million worth of attacking talent, delivering a combined total of four goals in a combined total of 40 appearances.
Son, it should be noted, has not been much better. Against Milan he was ineffective again, as has frequently been the case this season, and his drop-off from the previous campaign has left Kane increasingly isolated as the team’s main threat. To put it bluntly, Milan had no reason to be worried by Son on Tuesday night. With Kane shackled, Son and Kulusevski were hardly in the game.
Does it matter who scores the goals? Perhaps not, if Kane is able to routinely fire Spurs towards victories. But a common theme among the best sides in Europe is that the attacking threat is varied and multi-dimensional, and the loss in Milan only served to emphasise how the Spurs frontline is neither.
In the Premier League this season, Woolwich’s wide forwards have contributed 28 goals and assists between them. At Manchester City, that figure stands at 24. For Spurs, it is a comparatively meagre 16. It is not hard to see where they are falling short compared to the league’s leading sides.
These are not straightforward times at Spurs, who have lost seven of their last 14 matches in all competitions and are now in the midst of a sudden injury crisis. The team needs goals and Kane, evidently, needs help. Until the other attackers start to share the burden, Spurs will struggle to find the consistency they crave in the second half of the season.

U were adamant the young players weren’t good enough and wanted to continue with the tried and tested garbage

That Danish fraud should not be coming back into this side, Devine > PEH. Let’s get more youth and energy alongside Romero, Kulu, Kane etc and discard the established, inconsistent dross
That "Danish Fraud" has helped us;
Draw away to Chelsea
Beat City at home
Beat Marseille away to top the group
In total, that "Danish Fraud" has 4 goals and 3 assists this season.

What, other than not having a Dier/Loris style brain shart did Skipp or Sarr do?
They were OK. They were thrown in at the deep end and they didn't get embarrassed. They also didn't add much and our front 3 looked as isolated from the rest of the team as they have all season.

I refuse to judge that "Danish Fraud" on 20/21 and half of 21/22 because he was carrying Harry fucking Winks.

Back
Top Bottom