2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really get it , i know he plays for Spurs but who gives a shit what he does in a French shirt ? If England had got to the final I'd have been delighted for lloris to do a Karius , people have written things like it would be so tough watching England in a shootout against lloris ? Bonkers I'd be willing him to go the wrong way for every penalty and delighted if he did.
Spurs wise it's Hugo Vs Modric. The classy captain who has stuck with Spurs Vs the treacherous little rat that refused to play. Not really a contest is it. Obviously if it was France England you wouldn't want Hugo to have a good game

Gutted, but also gutted for the lads. Southgate got his tactics wrong and we were swamped in midfield when we needed an extra man in there. I can see why he did it because their midfield is so good. The team tried hard and Croatia were just a little bit better than us: just had a bit more quality in key areas.

The team is young and this will be good experience. We desperately need a playmaker, a no 10 who can make things happen and provide a link between midfield and attack. Looking at Dele/Lingard/Sterling. I think Sterling is doing what he's been asked to do - he's not that player.

I watched this in the pub and the Sterling hatred is creepy, way beyond reasonable criticism. He is actually a person.

Overall it's been a good tournament and the team have played way above expectations. We have done well and defensively have held up better than I thought we would - the team is obviously way too reliant on set piece goals, which shows we need more creativity - an English Eriksen, basically.

Last edited:
Spurs wise it's Hugo Vs Modric. The classy captain who has stuck with Spurs Vs the treacherous little rat that refused to play. Not really a contest is it. Obviously if it was France England you wouldn't want Hugo to have a good game

I couldn't give a shit if Hugo wins it or not regardless of who France play against , don't really share the view of Modric he's expressed regret of how it happened and definitely made the best choice to leave Spurs and go to Madrid at the time, I hold no grudges and he's a player I like immensely

You've constantly claimed Sterling has been excellent this tournament in this imaginary #10 role he's been playing (not even true) when in reality he's been a player short of confidence and a dead end to anything remotely attacking or creative. 0 goals, 0 assists, fuck all contribution elsewhere. You were wrong - give over.

Totally agree. If we want someone with speed that split defences then we might as well rock up to British athletics and take a 100m sprinter.

Like the rest of the tournament and his entire international career, he offered nothing, he can't pass, he can't cross, he can't score, can't tackle, surrenders possession easily and was non existent in the second half last night with no clue how to play off a larger strike partner. Rashford did more last night than sterling has done in the entire tournament.

I don't know anyone outside the forum who thought he should be starting and he proved to be our weak link, despite the commentators bullshit about his frightening pace and his great season at man city....

He was shit at the euros and he has not improved on that since then.

I couldn't give a shit if Hugo wins it or not regardless of who France play against , don't really share the view of Modric he's expressed regret of how it happened and definitely made the best choice to leave Spurs and go to Madrid at the time, I hold no grudges and he's a player I like immensely

Hmm, initially though he wanted to join Chelsea. Fucking Chelsea!

Come on France!

Perfectly placed photographer

4E2227CE00000578-5943185-The_Castlefield_Bowl_in_Manchester_erupts_after_the_first_goal_o-a-193_1531334602051.jpg

mttwl.jpg

Gutted, but also gutted for the lads. Southgate got his tactics wrong and we were swamped in midfield when we needed an extra man in there. I can see why he did it because their midfield is so good. The team tried hard and Croatia were just a little bit better than us: just had a bit more quality in key areas.

The team is young and this will be good experience. We desperately need a playmaker, a no 10 who can make things happen and provide a link between midfield and attack. Looking at Dele/Lingard/Sterling. I think Sterling is doing what he's been asked to do - he's not that player.

I watched this in the pub and the Sterling hatred is creepy, way beyond reasonable criticism. He is actually a person.

Overall it's been a good tournament and the team have played way above expectations. We have done well and defensively have held up better than I thought we would - the team is obviously way too reliant on set piece goals, which shows we need more creativity - an English Erikssen, basically.

I don't think he got it wrong at all , I think we simply don't have the tools in midfield to compete , Henderson is very basic as is Dier ,Alli is better further forward with less defensive responsibility Lingaard lacks true quality in the ball and his good energy and attitude don't mask his defensive frailties , Lotus Cheek lacks any top level experience , we have no answers to Modric and Rakatic two of the best , and as soon as they got the ball down and started playing it was impossible for our midfield.

My view of Sterling is he is a good player but not in his current position in the England team. We're asking him to be a creative pivot behind Kane when he's more useful as a forward attacking from a wider position.

I'd also look at Dele, Lingard and Rashford - have they provided enough between them? IMHO they are doing what they can, which is OK, we just don't have the creative players. Kane quite quiet after the group stage, but then again scored six goals and will probably win the golden boot.

Pickford much better than I thought he would be. Stones and Maguire very capable. Trippier incredible this tournament. A lot of positives.

I don't think he got it wrong at all , I think we simply don't have the tools in midfield to compete , Henderson is very basic as is Dier ,Alli is better further forward with less defensive responsibility Lingaard lacks true quality in the ball and his good energy and attitude don't mask his defensive frailties , Lotus Cheek lacks any top level experience , we have no answers to Modric and Rakatic two of the best , and as soon as they got the ball down and started playing it was impossible for our midfield.

I agree that we don't have the players but there were options. Leaving Henderson alone against Modric/Rakitic was a mistake. Watching it on TV we were clearly playing to bypass their midfield which as I wrote I understand, but I think not trying to shore it up in the 2nd half especially was not the right call.

Not scapegoating btw, he's done really well as a manager - just thought there were ways of trying to make the game not swing so dramatically away from us in the 2nd half.

I agree that we don't have the players but there were options. Leaving Henderson alone against Modric/Rakitic was a mistake. Watching it on TV we were clearly playing to bypass their midfield which as I wrote I understand, but I think not trying to shore it up in the 2nd half especially was not the right call.

Not scapegoating btw, he's done really well as a manager - just thought there were ways of trying to make the game not swing so dramatically away from us in the 2nd half.

See what your saying but who do you sure it up with and at whose expense ? Dier for Lingaard or Alli ? I think that would just have invited them on

I don't hold any grudges, still think he's a little rat face though. Whereas Hugo is approaching club legend status, really wouldn't be surprised for him to go on and be a club ambassador or manager in the future. Modric was/is a fantastic player but I'd be happy never to see him at the lane again

I probably would have put Dier on earlier for Dele or probably Lingard. I thought we had our best spell of the match (barring the first 15-20 mins) after Dier came on.

Don't forget we had to try and win the game tho , Dier Henderson and three centre backs isn't really going to help you do that , not like Dier or Henderson are gonna push up and support the attack to any great effect

Hello darknes my old friend...

Better team won it, 22-11 and 7-1 in shots. When our midfield started playing there was no hope for England. Sterling was your best player, bringing Rashford for him and bringing Dier for Henderson WTF? You can say young team, whatever, but Southgate is so average.
Playing on long balls, 3 defenders were shocking today, when we were pressing, they just couldn't bring the ball to Lingard or Henderson.
Gutted for our Spurs players, but I'm happiest man alive right now. Told you Lovren is playing best football of his life, had little bit of trouble with Sterling and his pace, but didn't saw Kane tonight. I'm so happy for him, he get so much stick and now he's in WC final as best defender of this team.

Bring me France. This is mental. I'm so tired. Can't sleep.
England have exposed some areas where you're weak. Sterlings pace was a problem but he lacked the skill , France have pace and skill in abundance. Playing three games with extra time will play its toll. France have that extra day rest also. Good luck to you both and hope the tournament finished on a high. A Spurs player lifting the trophy.

Back
Top Bottom