10 "interesting" "facts" about today....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some more facts about the game - some flattering AVB, some not. Unlucky basically.

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/11/statsbomb-mythbusting-christian-eriksen-vs-newcastle/
What a brilliant analysis!!
I honestly wish that I could like your post more than once.

I too couldn't understand why people were slating Eriksen after the match.
Yeah, he did have a couple of bad set piece deliveries, and missed that one chance ... but, hey this is part of being Spursy.

I mean we were all begging to start Eriksen. Then all of the sudden, people want Holtby back in that position. Don't get me wrong, Holtby's a good player, but not a CAM.

I just decided to keep mum, but thankfully someone (the guy who wrote the analysis) decided to dig deep and prove people wrong.

So ... I just wanted to share some highlights from the article (though the whole of it is worth the read)...

How Rare Was Eriksen’s 9 Key Pass performance?
I wanted to look at this because maybe this type of performance happens all the time. I may have found it impressive, but if it’s a common occurrence, then we can rule out my impression and just write it off as something any decent footballer can do.

I only have access to a shortened data set on this one (last year plus this year), but out of more than 1800 matches played in the big 5 leagues last season, there were fifteen times where a player had nine or more KP. Players who produced those performances included: Pirlo, Ozil, Diamanti (who also had 14 shots in the same match, one of the most absurd statistical performances I have ever seen), Boudebouz x 2, Obraniak, Farfan, Diego x 2, Tobias Werner (who?), Valeron, Susaeta, Rakitic, Jose Antonio Reyes, and Koke.

There has also been one 9+ KP game this season, produced by the ageless Francesco Totti.

So 16 total instances in more than 2000 matches. That’s less than 1%. It’s fair to say that’s rare.

“[Eriksen] went into hiding, fitting with the stereotype of the scouting reports.”
Really? Dude had 81 touches, or 14 more than any other Spurs offensive player. He was also only dispossessed one time. Townsend had 4 in a full match, Sigurdsson had 4 in 69 minutes. This statement is just silly.

All in all ... I really hope AVB sticks with Eriksen against Man City.

Btw, there's a nice little bonus stat at the end of the article, for those who read the whole thing. :lamelashock:
Again, thanks @ SandroSays for sharing this piece.

Last edited:
Eriksen absolutely has to start against Man City. first of all, imo he's already shown he's our best CAM. and second, he knows this ManC team, played very very well against them (destroyed them in Amsterdam's game, really) in both games on the CL last season (group stage had Ajax with City, Dortmund and Real).

@Millbanks

Give me a good reason why you'd drop Chiriches, who has been excellent recently, for Kaboul then?
Because I believe that Kaboul is a better all-round player. Simple as that really. I don't disagree that Chiriches hasn't been playing well, but I don't think he can play with Verts (as stated before, both are 'attacking minded' centre backs), and Verts is my first choice centre back by far.

I may be wrong, and I hope Chiriches proves to be a star of our team (without moving to Chelski as his agent wants), but for now, Kaboul and Verts are my first team.

Obv.

But if you're getting tired out playing Sheriff or Tromso followed by a Premier League game then there isn't going to be much hope when you've got to play Barca or Bayern followed by a Premier League game.

Thats not really what I meant I don't think their tired out, we have been using squad rotation anyway. My point is if we were in the CL we would attract better players (and better squad depth) to improve our results and get higher gate receipts and prize money to support the purchases.

Continually finishing 5th means we have to rotate to players who may not be our first team choice, if we were in CL we could probably field a stronger squad in all games. Our first team might also be of a higher quality.

So I'm not saying our players aren't fit enough to complete 2 games a week, but surely we would attract better players once we were in the CL.

Thats not really what I meant I don't think their tired out, we have been using squad rotation anyway. My point is if we were in the CL we would attract better players (and better squad depth) to improve our results and get higher gate receipts and prize money to support the purchases.

Continually finishing 5th means we have to rotate to players who may not be our first team choice, if we were in CL we could probably field a stronger squad in all games. Our first team might also be of a higher quality.

So I'm not saying our players aren't fit enough to complete 2 games a week, but surely we would attract better players once we were in the CL.
we didn't attract fuck all last time around, we won't suddenly get loads of new players once we qualify. I just don't think the CL is suddenly going to end this issue.

we didn't attract fuck all last time around, we won't suddenly get loads of new players once we qualify. I just don't think the CL is suddenly going to end this issue.

But look at the players we lost as a result of not being in the CL...I think you would need a couple of seasons being in the CL to justify players coming to our club to see the true effect, we only had one year then were back down again which didn't do us many favours. Once the high profile players are here they'll attract more big players. Just look at the whole Willian situation, even though I'm not fussed we didn't get him playing for a CL club was probably a factor.

CL qualification is probably not going to end the issue though on it's own, but it would surely help the club more than being in uefa.

But look at the players we lost as a result of not being in the CL...I think you would need a couple of seasons being in the CL to justify players coming to our club to see the true effect, we only had one year then were back down again which didn't do us many favours. Once the high profile players are here they'll attract more big players. Just look at the whole Willian situation, even though I'm not fussed we didn't get him playing for a CL club was probably a factor.

CL qualification is probably not going to end the issue though on it's own, but it would surely help the club more than being in uefa.
Regular CL would improve the club, that's a given. But using the Europa League as a reason for us losing games is weak, that's my stance on it. The Newcastle defeat wasn't because we were tired.

Though I agree with what you are saying, just to play devil's advocate ....

We did attract one gem (where I'd like to think CL played a big factor) ... :vdvdive:

I don't know why everyone still thinks CL is the be-all-and-end-all for players.

Look at Falcao, James Rodriguez and Carvalho. All gave up CL football to join Monaco. And I don't think it was for the scenery.

Not such a big name but Asamoah Gyan. Great World Cup, plying his trade in the Premier League - off to the Middle East. Not for the climate.

Money talks. End of. Got the money? You can get the players.

Personally I love the fact Spurs have a relatively strict wage structure. It keeps players grounded, in-fighting to a minimum and ego's away. Sure, we'll never have Messi with such financial restrictions, but I want Spurs to be here in 10, 50, 100 years time. If City, Chelsea & United are, I'll be surprised. We have a sustainable financial model, growing steadily. I hope to fucking God (and I'm atheist) that City's 'empire' crumbles sooner rather than later. I'd love to see the sad little faces of those plastic City fans. Or Chelsea.

Look at Malaga, one year on from so nearly knocking eventual CL finalists Dortmund out. Owner spent millions, disappeared, left the club burdened with debt and they now sit 14th in La Liga, just 1 point above the relegation zone and none of the star names that carried them to such heights.

We need players that will play for the shirt, and unfortunately, there seems to be less and less of them nowadays.

I was speaking to a "life-long" City fan yesterday (around my age, 23) and he had never heard of Jurgen Klinsmann. As a player or manager. Honestly...

Or Jon Macken, a fucking (awful, granted, but) ex-City player from early to mid 00's - nope, nothing. Played over 50 games. Zilch. Nada. Nout.

Sorry, rant over.

:chadliblow:

Lets just pretend we won. It is nicer that way.
*takes shoe off*

I know that NO ONE would be 'up for it' if we actually lost, but SERIOUSLY how funny and confusing (for the opposition) would it be to sing that after ANY defeat?

"Let's pretend, let's pretend, let's pretend we won the game.... let's pretend we won the game!"
PitchInvasion.jpg

The Newcastle defeat wasn't because we were tired.

I never said anything like that?

I'm talking longer term as in the past 6-7 seasons. I actually believe now we have a big squad of good players (as long as they are the right players) we should start seeing more top 4 places.

For sure Europa League is better than no Europe at all (now that we have the squad depth to cover both competitions adequately). All I'm saying that we will obviously get a benefit from being in the CL. Conversely continuing to finish 5th is detrimental to the clubs reputation and finances and since we will continue to loose all our best players (Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale etc) who have all gone to CL clubs when they were playing well for us. Even worse is that we have to spend any revenue we got from the sale to replace them with a player who will take more than a season to pay us back. Think of all the replacements we've had for those players and how few of them have been anywhere near as effective as the original.

Conversely continuing to finish 5th is detrimental to the clubs reputation and finances and since we will continue to loose all our best players (Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale etc) who have all gone to CL clubs when they were playing well for us.
I would agree with Keane, and was slightly pleased when it didn't work out for him there (I fucking despise Liverpool), but the other 4, no.
Yes, the common denominator is they are CL teams, but this is a slightly different kettle of fish. 2 left for Manchester United, 2 for Real Madrid. The history these two have, and sheer magnitude of the clubs meant we have had no chance. Yes, these are directly linked to being successful in Europe, but over a series of decades, not the odd qualification. Also, and more importantly, they pay (much) higher wages.

I stand by what I said elsewhere, the majority of modern day footballers are not interested in Champions League, European football, success, no matter what they say. It's about money. Samuel Eto'o was one of Europe's top strikers. You can't tell me that were he playing for a non-CL team and Anzhi qualified for CL and offered him the same wages, he'd have left. Not a chance. Same goes for Falcao. Sorry to repeat myself but we seem to think that if we come 4th, we will suddenly attract all these amazing players. No. Not gonna happen. When Montpellier qualified (by winning the French League), did they sign a raft of stars? No. In fact, their squad fell apart. Why? They don't pay the wages.

Back
Top Bottom