šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æ England v World Champions šŸ‡«šŸ‡· (Saturday 10th - 7pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane: Man City away last year.
Eriksen: Got any examples? As much as we used to struggle without him, he used would often shrink without Dembele beasting to the power of 2 men.
I donā€™t think Man City away is a good example at all. The goals were all off the training ground - probably the clearest example of Conteā€™s systems based influence we have. That wasnā€™t a player swinging the momentum of a game.

Itā€™s a good example of Kane playing really well in a big game though.

Eriksen more of an impression than a specific. I could be wrong. Home against Real Madrid ? Was majestic that game.

The FA are a bunch of old women who are far more concerned with the image projected my the manager than how effective they are. Clough being a prime example. Southgate is just the latest in a line of line toers....yes sir, no sir.....we really need someone with TEETH šŸ¦·
71-C067-ED-60-E8-4-C8-B-A938-8-A5-E9-F571366.jpg

I donā€™t think Man City away is a good example at all. The goals were all off the training ground - probably the clearest example of Conteā€™s systems based influence we have. That wasnā€™t a player swinging the momentum of a game.

Itā€™s a good example of Kane playing really well in a big game though.

Kane's all round performance was elite and he was definately the difference maker.... Against an elite team in peak form on their way to the title and a key result in us bagging top 4.

Eriksen more of an impression than a specific.

Was only curious anyway....

Uh no ... it's a team game.

He was MOTM by a country mile. Anybody could see that at the time, he was incredible, if you're looking for a game where Kane grabs a game by the scruff of the neck you won't get a better example. I don't think you'll get a better example of that full stop.

Not just the goals he scored (at least one was definitely NOT on a 'plate' btw) but his passing range and hold up were amazing .. Rodri & Dias had no idea what to do.
Yeah it was a good performance but he was given acres of space to roam. We caught them off guard as Kane was coming off of months of terrible performances and he hadn't been dropping back deep and wasn't playing the playmaker role during the months prior to that. There was an element of surprise that they weren't prepared for.

And it's just 1 performance so I wouldn't use that 1 example to give Kane the credit of being a player that grab games by the scruff of the neck like Bellingham was doing during the World Cup or Benzema did for Real Madrid all last season. There are different levels.

Yeah it was a good performance but he was given acres of space to roam. We caught them off guard as Kane was coming off of months of terrible performances and he hadn't been dropping back deep and wasn't playing the playmaker role during the months prior to that. There was an element of surprise that they weren't prepared for.

And it's just 1 performance so I wouldn't use that 1 example to give Kane the credit of being a player that grab games by the scruff of the neck like Bellingham was doing during the World Cup or Benzema did for Real Madrid all last season. There are different levels.

But... But..... But........

Iā€™ve watched him take the piss in games vs Chelsea, Woolwich (x100) and Liverpool plenty of times. City was just the best example.

Yeah heā€™s not the type to run past 5 players and score solo worldies but as an all round CF heā€™s put in plenty of game winning performances.

He was MOTM vs Senegal & 2nd only to Saka for me vs France. Had Upamecano on strings. So in the knockouts he was delivering big performances, other than a missed penalty.

So react like the Uruguayans did?

There were plenty on here, and across the World, who condemned their conduct, yet you want us to emulate it?

Let's be straight here, the ref was bloody awful, but he didn't cost us the game. We can bewail decisions that didn't go our way, but we also got the decisions that would have kep us in the game. We only took half of them.

Railing at the ref would just be petty, particularly in light of the fact that it won't change a thing.
It's OK to be angry at the refereeing, and to express that. It's not about making accusations of bias or corruption. But the margins are so fine, and we're competing against teams who will do anything to win.

The refs need to feel a bit of pressure when we're playing, like they no doubt do when reffing other big teams. I'm disappointed Southgate didn't come out and say the ref was very poor, and cost us in key moments. Can you imagine Alex Ferguson meekly accepting defeat after a match like that? It was an opportunity to take the attention off Harry and create a bit of a sense of grievance for next time. It's all part of the game.

Perhaps youā€™re wrong? That was the view of a number of professional referees and many other people.

Of course they can be wrong, but so can you in your judgement that itā€™s a clear and obvious error. Peter Walton, English referee, also sided with the team on the day. In the face of such clear disagreement it is ipso facto not a clear and obvious refereeing error.
Peter Walton?

Behave! The day he says that VAR got it wrong is the day this World ends in fire.

I'm wrong when the evidence proves I'm wrong. The evidence clearly shows that Saka was fouled. It's not even debatable, there was bodily contact that caused Saka to fall when he was in control of the ball, that's how France won it back.

That's the view of an even greater number of other people from across the World.

If it were just English fans etc making the claim then your argument might have merit.

The thing is, I get the distinct impression that you think it was a foul yourself. There's no shame in admitting you got the rub of the green if you're genuine.

I've said it already, the game was played out by two top level nations, full of top level players, which usually ends up exactly as it did, the game being decided by either an individual error or a bit of brilliance.

I don't begrudge France their win, but when neutrals around the World are echoing what is being said in here (some because they think it's funny cos it's England, whilst others just because it was a shocking performance), you know it's not sour grapes.

It's OK to be angry at the refereeing, and to express that. It's not about making accusations of bias or corruption. But the margins are so fine, and we're competing against teams who will do anything to win.

The refs need to feel a bit of pressure when we're playing, like they no doubt do when reffing other big teams. I'm disappointed Southgate didn't come out and say the ref was very poor, and cost us in key moments. Can you imagine Alex Ferguson meekly accepting defeat after a match like that? It was an opportunity to take the attention off Harry and create a bit of a sense of grievance for next time. It's all part of the game.
Fergie arced up in the league, as it pressurised referees over the course of a season.

This is Southgate after losing a QF in the WC. There's no gain as there are no further games for us to play, and you can't even pressurise the officials for the next tournament as it's 4 years away.

There's only a downside to him complaining. It makes us look like sore losers, and would do the opposite for H, they'd just double down on the blame game and say Southgate was making excuses for him.

Peter Walton?

Behave! The day he says that VAR got it wrong is the day this World ends in fire.

I'm wrong when the evidence proves I'm wrong. The evidence clearly shows that Saka was fouled. It's not even debatable, there was bodily contact that caused Saka to fall when he was in control of the ball, that's how France won it back.

That's the view of an even greater number of other people from across the World.

If it were just English fans etc making the claim then your argument might have merit.

The thing is, I get the distinct impression that you think it was a foul yourself. There's no shame in admitting you got the rub of the green if you're genuine.

I've said it already, the game was played out by two top level nations, full of top level players, which usually ends up exactly as it did, the game being decided by either an individual error or a bit of brilliance.

I don't begrudge France their win, but when neutrals around the World are echoing what is being said in here (some because they think it's funny cos it's England, whilst others just because it was a shocking performance), you know it's not sour grapes.
I donā€™t have any great insight into how neutrals around the world see it. I do know that neither the guardian nor the bbc say (or suggest) it was an error in their match reports.

Only some England fans are focusing on this issue.

Fergie arced up in the league, as it pressurised referees over the course of a season.

This is Southgate after losing a QF in the WC. There's no gain as there are no further games for us to play, and you can't even pressurise the officials for the next tournament as it's 4 years away.

There's only a downside to him complaining. It makes us look like sore losers, and would do the opposite for H, they'd just double down on the blame game and say Southgate was making excuses for him.
I disagree. Even 4 years away these big WC games are remembered. It might make Southgate look like a sore loser, but he should be prepared to take that hit. It's also about making the players feel they didn't deserve to lose. That it was bad luck and bad refereeing, not their inferiority. We've lost a lot to big teams, and it's not only about talent this time.

I donā€™t have any great insight into how neutrals around the world see it. I do know that neither the guardian nor the bbc say (or suggest) it was an error in their match reports.

What did L'equipe say about it? I read they gave the ref a 4/10

in response to the adverts in Paris yesterday, the french team played Ā« Here comes the Sun Ā» by the Beatles in the changing rooms yesterday after the game.

Lads.

For older members..
"That Was The Game That Was, it's over let it go"

What did L'equipe say about it? I read they gave the ref a 4/10
No idea. All Iā€™ve read is bemusement and that the English mediaā€™s hyper focus on refereeing errors. Sounds like a coping mechanism - which is fair.

English football could definitely take a page from rugbyā€™s book. And I donā€™t mean how to take a penalty.

No idea. All Iā€™ve read is bemusement and that the English mediaā€™s hyper focus on refereeing errors. Sounds like a coping mechanism - which is fair.

English football could definitely take a page from rugbyā€™s book. And I donā€™t mean how to take a penalty.
But surely you can see that the first goal is hugely important in these games, and yours shouldnā€™t have stood?

It changed the entire game

If it was the other way round your media and fans would be going apeshit, also stop talking about rugby, it has nothing to do with the events of last night

Youā€™re reacting like a stereotypical french person here imo, arrogant and ignorant, which Iā€™m surprised about as I quite liked you before all of this

The French media are pre-occupied with the English media's take on things?

Hmmmmmmm....... Reeeeeally? :gallashmm:

Errrrrr Rugby? Whatever..... You mentioned it earlier too, but Rugby largely has officiating nailed.

At this point; it just seems like you're trolling tbh.

Last edited:

They gave the ref a 4/10 so they can't have been too happy with the ref so I'm not sure why they'd be bemused by the English media's reaction, strange post.

Pointless moaning about refereeing decisions. There are probably 20 incorrect decisions in every game ever played, big or small. Each one of those 'could' have totally changed the events of what was to come. We will never know. You have to just play the game.

Back
Top Bottom