šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æ England v World Champions šŸ‡«šŸ‡· (Saturday 10th - 7pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Most football chat is bias wrapped up in more or less nice language. In fact most discourse on anything is that. You look at what I post and roll your eyes at the language, and me to a lot of whatā€™s posted here. (The true crazies are the french players and fans who swear the second penalty should not have been accorded).

Itā€™s just fun. At the moment you all think Iā€™m biased and crazy (and I, you) and as you sayā€¦in two weeks weā€™ll love each other again and every other fan group will think weā€™re biased and crazy, and us them.

COYS

Lol, if we're biased then the world is. Fans from every other country think the ref was awful in favour of France.

Never forgive never forget.
I can understand why you and others have been upset. The referee didnā€™t have a good performance and you feel that this was responsible for you losing. I donā€™t agree that you would have won with a different referee - itā€™s a coin toss. But that feeling of depravation from England fans is real and the reactions obviously very emotional.

Personally I would be more sanguine. France lost to Germany in World Cup 2014 in a game where we were better. It stung. And Germany went on to win. But the fact is we werenā€™t good enough and lacked that sense of assertiveness and cleverness needed to win the biggest games. We drew the right lessons, reflected on what we had not done well enough and went on to reach two consecutive finals.

I think England need to do the same. Even if the referee is responsible for this one game, the big picture does not lie. Iā€™ll say this as a mainstream English view from people in the guardian, the athletic and the bbc - in the key moments you did not have the quality that was required to score; France did. And Iā€™ll say it again - an England team missing one starter failed to beat a france team missing half their starting 11. Thats not good enough. You will need to develop that killer instinct and a bit of swagger to win a tournament. Youā€™ll also need top class centrebacks and an elite goalkeeper imoā€¦ that will free your midfield up to take more appropriate risks at key moments and feel more confidence in difficult moments.

In my professional life Iā€™ve always been a locus of control kind of guy and itā€™s served me well. If England focus on themselves and continue to grow then this team has enough talent to reach the next two finals and win something. Youā€™re so close. And thatā€™s where the energy needs to be once the pain subsides.

Iā€™d love to see it happen. :dierpochhug:

I can understand why you and others have been upset. The referee didnā€™t have a good performance and you feel that this was responsible for you losing. I donā€™t agree that you would have won with a different referee - itā€™s a coin toss. But that feeling of depravation from England fans is real and the reactions obviously very emotional.

Personally I would be more sanguine. France lost to Germany in World Cup 2014 in a game where we were better. It stung. And Germany went on to win. But the fact is we werenā€™t good enough and lacked that sense of assertiveness and cleverness needed to win the biggest games. We drew the right lessons, reflected on what we had not done well enough and went on to reach two consecutive finals.

I think England need to do the same. Even if the referee is responsible for this one game, the big picture does not lie. Iā€™ll say this as a mainstream English view from people in the guardian, the athletic and the bbc - in the key moments you did not have the quality that was required to score; France did. And Iā€™ll say it again - an England team missing one starter failed to beat a france team missing half their starting 11. Thats not good enough. You will need to develop that killer instinct and a bit of swagger to win a tournament. Youā€™ll also need top class centrebacks and an elite goalkeeper imoā€¦ that will free your midfield up to take more appropriate risks at key moments and feel more confidence in difficult moments.

In my professional life Iā€™ve always been a locus of control kind of guy and itā€™s served me well. If England focus on themselves and continue to grow then this team has enough talent to reach the next two finals and win something. Youā€™re so close. And thatā€™s where the energy needs to be once the pain subsides.

Iā€™d love to see it happen. :dierpochhug:

Itā€™s not that the ref was 100% responsible for the loss, but the biased refereeing gave France a huge advantage. It was obvious. The World Cup is political, itā€™s a knockout competition, run by one of the dodgiest organizations ever. Every four years we see the same garbage. Football is set up for biased refereeing. There is no criticism allowed, no accountability, and billions at stake.

I can just see it now. France robbed by the same referee in the final. Messi and Argentina hold up the WC in triumph.

Itā€™s not that the ref was 100% responsible for the loss, but the biased refereeing gave France a huge advantage. It was obvious. The World Cup is political, itā€™s a knockout competition, run by one of the dodgiest organizations ever. Every four years we see the same garbage. Football is set up for biased refereeing. There is no criticism allowed, no accountability, and billions at stake.

I can just see it now. France robbed by the same referee in the final. Messi and Argentina hold up the WC in triumph.

The ref didnā€™t give France a huge advantage. No major calls were terrible, he got all the big stuff right, including the second pen which are rarely given as the ball was nowhere near Mount.

The refs at this tournament have been trying to let more stuff go and let games flow. England players just kept whining and screaming every time it happened to them.

England lost this game on a couple of moments in a match of few moments. Poor keeping by Pickford, Kane bottling a pen. France making a couple of better quality chances than England managed and putting one away.

France were really poor, but they are missing several big players. England dominated the ball and on balance didnā€™t deserve to lose, but they just didnā€™t do enough, didnā€™t create enough, in open play to deserve to win either. These are two managers who donā€™t know how to coach proactivity, reactivity is their default - they both rely on individual moments, so the game was bereft of real creative quality. Englandā€™s fbā€™s were so focused on stopping Mbappe and Dembele they contributed nothing offensively.

In the end France just pipped it for individual attacking quality by a whisker.

The Saka non-call was really bad. But the no-call alone didnā€™t cost them a goal. The no-call cost them conceding a minor counter attack and took away what should have been a free kick in a dangerous area. England still had plenty of men behind the ball and could have defended it a lot better.

England has to share blame with the ref for conceding that 1st goal. But yeah, it was pretty blatant and terrible reffing.

The ref didnā€™t give France a huge advantage. No major calls were terrible, he got all the big stuff right, including the second pen which are rarely given as the ball was nowhere near Mount.

The refs at this tournament have been trying to let more stuff go and let games flow. England players just kept whining and screaming every time it happened to them.

England lost this game on a couple of moments in a match of few moments. Poor keeping by Pickford, Kane bottling a pen. France making a couple of better quality chances than England managed and putting one away.

France were really poor, but they are missing several big players. England dominated the ball and on balance didnā€™t deserve to lose, but they just didnā€™t do enough, didnā€™t create enough, in open play to deserve to win either. These are two managers who donā€™t know how to coach proactivity, reactivity is their default - they both rely on individual moments, so the game was bereft of real creative quality. Englandā€™s fbā€™s were so focused on stopping Mbappe and Dembele they contributed nothing offensively.

In the end France just pipped it for individual attacking quality by a whisker.

I agree with your assessment on the goals scored and the missed chances. France took them it was their game to lose.

I my view the referee was trying to give France the advantage. It wasnā€™t one call, it was several. Trying to let the game flow doesnā€™t mean allowing constant fouls resulting in loss of possession. If Messi was simply knocked over yesterday, without an adequate response from the ref, we would not have witnessed such an incredible moment.

I agree with your assessment on the goals scored and the missed chances. France took them it was their game to lose.

I my view the referee was trying to give France the advantage. It wasnā€™t one call, it was several. Trying to let the game flow doesnā€™t mean allowing constant fouls resulting in loss of possession. If Messi was simply knocked over yesterday, without an adequate response from the ref, we would not have witnessed such an incredible moment.

So you think it was a refereeing conspiracy?

Why give England the second penalty then? You never see those given normally.

Iā€™m not saying England didnā€™t maybe get the worst of the little callsā€¦but it wasnā€™t some conscious conspiracy to give France the game and they didnā€™t lose the game because of the ref.

Iā€™m not saying England didnā€™t maybe get the worst of the little callsā€¦but it wasnā€™t some conscious conspiracy to give France the game and they didnā€™t lose the game because of the ref.

- He wasn't going to, the prick. Didn't want to give that nailed on, every time penalty. VAR had to whisper in his ear & once they've sent the ref to the monitor they know its a stonewaller and they can't get away with not giving it.

- First goal came after a French foul, so as influential a call as allowing an offside French goal. Allowing an illegal goal (and lots of other smaller decisions which hurt English momentum and allowed France to get away with butchery) absolutely led to a frog victory.

On this forum, I notice the overall opinion is that referees are mostly biased against England and also Spurs. The world hates us at club and country level :contehmm:, somehow everyone is against us :contehmm:, because we are so so special. :contesmell:

I donā€™t think it was a conspiracy. He was just horrific.

Back
Top Bottom