Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

your first 2 sentences apply equally to Delli except that it was for 90 mins plus Delli constantly played the ball to far ahead of himself and ended up losing it when there were easy options to pass. Your second point is interesting re swap for Malcom, but who would you drop to make room Son, Erickson or Delli, so that Malcom can play every week ?

Dele.

The guy has been out for a year and is yet to play more than 60 minutes in a match since his return.

Remember when walker was out for months, his first dozen games back were not great and then he found his form.

Lamela needs time to slot back in.
He didn't exactly shine like a beacon of hope before his injuries though.
Are you saying he's going to be a revalation?

Unfournatly can't deliver on a regular basis to make any lasting impact.
They told me we bought the Beatles with the Bale stash more like the Monkeys. Daydream believer.

I hope so. He has all the attributes and I thought his form was good in the early part of last season, was scoring goals and creating chances.

He has no pace, he has no right foot, he is a poor finisher, he can't head the ball.

Good left foot, good dead ball devilry, delivery even. Tackles back.

Last season? Got a goal at Everton which got us a draw. Missed a pen v Citeh at 2-0. He was lucky that they didn't score after that, they had about 5 chances. Gave away a pen v Liverpool.

He was bought as a nailed on starter. Since then:

superceded by Eriksen, who is THE nailed on starter;
was even overtaken in the pecking order 2015-16 for a bit by Chadli;
Son overtaken him;
Dele overtaken him.

His best season, 2015-16, he scored 5 in 34. Only one of those (Watford) was a game changer or points winner. Last season he missed almost all and we were the division top scorers.

He's not what we need. Right now we need someone we can rotate with our creative players. Lamela's just not good enough. Our best XI/XII is as good as anyone's, but we havent got the squad.

I'd cut him more slack if he was professional enough to improve his right foot, or if he scored more goals. Right now I'd say let's sell him and Sissoko, and find someone who can genuinely rotate not just come on as sub. Their pre-inflation transfer fees amount to £55m, in real terms maybe up to £70m. Nkoudou, another £20m.

8 PL goals in 93 games is just really poor.

Lamela has more going for him than that useless sack of shit that is Sisokko who left aurier exposed time and again down our right flank yesterday.

I want to see lamela given more time, since joining in 2013 he has missed two years through injury, it's not just about getting his physical fitness back but his mental toughness as well. I like his work rate and his attitude and know there is a good player who will do well in a spurs shirt.

The guy has been out for a year and is yet to play more than 60 minutes in a match since his return.

Remember when walker was out for months, his first dozen games back were not great and then he found his form.

Lamela needs time to slot back in.

People are all over the place mate, I wouldnt bother.
A player cant be critiqued because "hes only 21" (even though Onomah was deemed shit but thats ok), and Lamela, under all the circumstances you just mentioned is also fair game for a good kicking.

He was our best player that season prior to his injury - don't let buffoons re-write history

He's a good player, but don't over egg it. We played 3/4 of the season without him and had our best league placing since the double season in 1961. So we hardly missed him. He's not in our best XI, whatever the formation. If everyone's fit, he'd need to improve on his best form of 2015-16 to be in it.

The player we can't do without is Eriksen. Can we get a similar there through selling Lamela, Sissoko and Nkoudou? I'm not a scout and don't watch enough non-Spurs footie to know.

In the past few years we've managed to buy/promote well enough to mitigate losing:

Dembele
Toby
Kane

Need to do likewise with CE imo. (and on another issue, imo at some stage in the next 2 years we'll have Barca calling for him).

I hope so. He has all the attributes and I thought his form was good in the early part of last season, was scoring goals and creating chances.

I thought he was OK, but never really all that special, plus he had that wild eyed loose canon feel about him, he always looked like he was a tackle or two away from a red card.
He did improve massively from his first 10-15 games though.

People are all over the place mate, I wouldnt bother.
A player cant be critiqued because "hes only 21" (even though Onomah was deemed shit but thats ok), and Lamela, under all the circumstances you just mentioned is also fair game for a good kicking.
Do you think he justified his transfer fee?
At his best - would you play him if everyone we have was fit and on form?

Lamela is our Wheelchair you'll occasionally see glimmer of a player that could a bit special and enjoy his commitment and appetite for the game , he will enjoy good form in fits and starts and you'll always wonder what could be but ultimately he will never live up to his potential and step up a level and find consistency . Woolwich harbour or have harboured quite a few of these over the years Walcott, Ramsay, Wheelchair , Welbeck and others I'd rather we cashed in Lamela now instead of keeping around the fringes for another 3 or 4 years to play sporadically doing a woolwich.

Last edited:
I think "too easily" is harsh
We are at the upper end of the league and only one team has turned us over all season
If we had maintained a fit team all season we would be even higher. My personal feeling is Lamela wouldn't get much playing time.

Back
Top Bottom