Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this conversation still happening?

Genuine question: Can anyone calling for Lamela to go care to suggest a replacement that:-

A. Is an elite level chance creator (i.e. in the top ten in the league when fit).
B. Is happy to sit as an understudy to Eriksen and Alli when our strongest 11 is fit.
C. Will sign for less than 65k a week.
D. Is not only already conditioned to the pace / defensive duties required under Poch's system - but will excel at it / them.
E. Is financially viable to purchase considering the clubs position with building the new stadium.

This is and always has been our position within the market. We are ALWAYS better off keeping our proven assets than we are taking a gamble in a market that we will always struggle to complete in financially because of our current commercial shortcomings.

I do appreciate that in 4 seasons Lamela has only made 119 appearances. Its not great, but its not terrible either. I think we owe him at least one more year to get his shit together based purely on his performances last season.

I read those rumour / speculation pieces as exactly that. If Lamela really is demanding double his wages then there isnt much that can be done, but i think a years extension with performance / appearance bonuses is certainly viable.

Last edited:

Genuine question: Can anyone calling for Lamela to go care to suggest a replacement that:-

A. Is an elite level chance creator (i.e. in the top ten in the league when fit).
B. Is happy to sit as an understudy to Eriksen and Alli when our strongest 11 is fit.
D. Is not only already conditioned to the pace / defensive duties required under Poch's system - but will excel at it / them.
E. Is financially viable to purchase considering the clubs position with building the new stadium.

This is and always has been our position within the market. We are ALWAYS better off keeping our proven assets than we are taking a gamble in a market that we will always struggle to complete in financially because of our commercial shortcomings.

I do appreciate that in 4 seasons Lamela has only made 119 appearances. Its not great, but its not terrible either. I think we owe him at least one more year to get his shit together based purely on his performances last season.
I read those rumour / speculation pieces as exactly that. If Lamela really is demanding double his wages then there isnt much that can be done, but i think a years extension with performance / appearance bonuses is certainly viable.

Listen, what your opinion is or my opinion is of Lamela is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is Poch's opinion. And Poch articulates his opinions in contracts. Kane and Alli must have been given half a dozen new contracts between them. Winks is on his 2nd or 3rd. Every player at the club is on a contract given by Poch. The exception? Lamela. He's still on his AVB contract! Surely you cannot ignore this and insist Poch rates Lamela highly?

Everything points to the fact the he doesn't see Lamela in his long term plans.

A) elite level chance creater? He just needs to be direct with the potential to offer something that is different to what we have.

B) doesnt need to be an understudy. If he is good enough we could try various variations of the 3 at the back formation that involves playing an extra attacking midfielder in place of maybe Dembele. Depends really.

C) eh?

D) what?

E) shift a few to bring in the necessary income. We have done it before...and tbh the sales of Lamela and Sissoko alone would finance the arrival of a very good calibre attacking midfielder.

Listen, what your opinion is or my opinion is of Lamela is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is Poch's opinion.

I agree, in fact i say the same thing on here fairly regularly.

And Poch articulates his opinions in contracts. Kane and Alli must have been given half a dozen new contracts between them. Winks is on his 2nd or 3rd. Every player at the club is on a contract given by Poch. The exception? Lamela. He's still on his AVB contract! Surely you cannot ignore this and insist Poch rates Lamela highly?

You're still putting one and one together and getting three. Lamelas not been given a contract because hes not been classified as fit (for whatever that reason is). You have no idea whether Poch rates Lamela, but its clear that you don't.

You're still putting one and one together and getting three. Lamelas not been given a contract because hes not been classified as fit (for whatever that reason is). You have no idea whether Poch rates Lamela, but its clear that you don't.

Except that we have 119 reasons to suggest Poch does like Lamela. He's been missing for months and has 20 minutes less time than Jansen on the pitch. It's pretty clear to me that Poch doesn't rate him. He's not played him for months the useless Argentinian bastard :pocheyes:

To put that in context, Moussa Sissoko has 30 minutes more match time in the PL than Lamela this year. 30. And the season is nearly over.

He's not been offered a new contract yet so Poch doesn't rate him....

:dembele:

Listen, what your opinion is or my opinion is of Lamela is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is Poch's opinion. And Poch articulates his opinions in contracts. Kane and Alli must have been given half a dozen new contracts between them. Winks is on his 2nd or 3rd. Every player at the club is on a contract given by Poch. The exception? Lamela. He's still on his AVB contract! Surely you cannot ignore this and insist Poch rates Lamela highly?

Means nothing at all. I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Toby hasn't been offered a new contract yet. Do you reckon Poch doesn't rate him either?
The fact is, Lamela was an ever present in last year's squad. If Poch didn't rate him, he wouldn't have been near the first team, let alone a regular.

If he's a gonner in Poch's eyes, then I won't lose any sleep. I trust Poch to judge it all better than you...or me. But all this bollocks talk is getting weary. We get it, you don't rate the guy. Some of us do though. If he's salvageable as a player, then he's a very valuable asset to Spurs in my opinion.

Bit premature to call time on him though, when the club hasn't said anything to suggest he's burnt his bridges at white hart lane.

Do you need me to throw you a life jacket? As it sounds like you're in de Nile.

Poch made sure to get all the players he saw important tied to contracts earlier this season - why would Lamela have been left out? He wasn't injured then, and his injury was not considered serious at first, so how would it have prevented him being offered a contract?

Means nothing at all. I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Toby hasn't been offered a new contract yet. Do you reckon Poch doesn't rate him either?
The fact is, Lamela was an ever present in last year's squad. If Poch didn't rate him, he wouldn't have been near the first team, let alone a regular.

If he's a gonner in Poch's eyes, then I won't lose any sleep. I trust Poch to judge it all better than you...or me. But all this bollocks talk is getting weary. We get it, you don't rate the guy. Some of us do though. If he's salvageable as a player, then he's a very valuable asset to Spurs in my opinion.

Bit premature to call time on him though, when the club hasn't said anything to suggest he's burnt his bridges at white hart lane.

The noises about Toby are that he's been offered a contract but is stalling. Plus he's not entering the final year of his contract like Lamela.

The noises about Toby are that he's been offered a contract but is stalling. Plus he's not entering the final year of his contract like Lamela.
"The noises". Jesus Christ. You rely on "the noises"...from who exactly? Are these reliable sources or just somebody after clicks on social media?

How do you know that Poch doesn't rate Lamela? Why was he a key player last season in Poch's teams?
How do you know that Poch does rate Toby?

Sorry, but you're over thinking the Lamela situation. What if he's got cancer and it's all being kept private? Carries the same weight as any other theory being spouted out on here...feigning injury, serving a drugs ban, head gone west because his dog died, misses home etc etc etc.

If he was playing & playing shit every week, then fine, get rid. But it's crazy talk to go along with any speculation on social media & conclude he's finished here. The lack of patience is amazing. Let's wait & see what the club says, when the time comes. The fact our results haven't suffered says more about the quality of the squad & the manager, rather than the fact that Lamela has no quality.

Do you need me to throw you a life jacket? As it sounds like you're in de Nile.

Poch made sure to get all the players he saw important tied to contracts earlier this season - why would Lamela have been left out? He wasn't injured then, and his injury was not considered serious at first, so how would it have prevented him being offered a contract?

Ill throw you a life line: - what if its Levy that's held the contract up until Lamela can prove he's fit. It's still pure speculation buts its more plausible than Poch suddenly going off his fellow countryman and someone who has clearly embraced his philosophy more than anyone else in the team.

We'll probably never know but, the point is that this disagreement started over you not thinking Lamela offered much to the team when he was fit and that's why you wanted rid of him. You still haven't got anything to back that statement up other than your own opinion.

Last edited:
A) elite level chance creater? He just needs to be direct with the potential to offer something that is different to what we have.

B) doesnt need to be an understudy. If he is good enough we could try various variations of the 3 at the back formation that involves playing an extra attacking midfielder in place of maybe Dembele. Depends really.

C) eh?

D) what?

E) shift a few to bring in the necessary income. We have done it before...and tbh the sales of Lamela and Sissoko alone would finance the arrival of a very good calibre attacking midfielder.
:avbfacepalm:

C) eh?

D) what?

Listen; it's not difficult, no matter how deliberately obtuse you decide to be about it.

Lamelas numbers are there for anyone who cares to look at them or doesn't choose to ignore them because they don't support their assumptions.

If Lamela can get over what ever issues he is having (mental or physical or both) then he is a better option IMO than taking a gamble on an unknown quantity, regardless of how much money we spend on said quantity. Spending money is no guarantee of a player who will deliver as we well know.

I feel like he deserves one more shot at it, and its not beyond reason that he could be offered a years extension.

Press have started (just to keep this thread off the circular reference of "he's druggy" "no he's not")

INTER WANT CUT-PRICE LAMELA DEAL

Inter Milan want to sign Spurs forward Erik Lamela in a cut-price €10m deal this summer, reports La Corriere dello Sport.

Despite still having three years left to run on his deal in north London, the Argentina international may leave White Hart Lane at the end of the season after struggling to cement a regular first-place at the club.

Note how the press think that you should cement a first team place if you're unavailable for selection. Do these people even follow football?

I'm starting to think that Lamela has actually died in an horrific training ground accident, and the club are too embarrassed to say anything... so will keep this 'injury' line stringing along until such time we simply forget about him altogether, and they say they eventually sold him to some obscure, remote, regional Argentinian 4th division team!

I'm starting to think that Lamela has actually died in an horrific training ground accident, and the club are too embarrassed to say anything... so will keep this 'injury' line stringing along until such time we simply forget about him altogether, and they say they eventually sold him to some obscure, remote, regional Argentinian 4th division team!

Nah, he's still kicking around...

JTqvYeKSqWndmpradtiA_capture.jpg

Listen; it's not difficult, no matter how deliberately obtuse you decide to be about it.

Lamelas numbers are there for anyone who cares to look at them or doesn't choose to ignore them because they don't support their assumptions.

If Lamela can get over what ever issues he is having (mental or physical or both) then he is a better option IMO than taking a gamble on an unknown quantity, regardless of how much money we spend on said quantity. Spending money is no guarantee of a player who will deliver as we well know.

I feel like he deserves one more shot at it, and its not beyond reason that he could be offered a years extension.
As I said, I think Poch will shift him in the summer but we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom