THE MIGHTY SPURS VS WBA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair, I've seen very little melting over this result so far.
...wait till everyone gets home, having had a few more pints!

...it's be like Salvador Dali on here!

The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

Lots of positives for the season but tonight and after we failed to take our chances and then even after we went a goal ahead no plan B.

It was clear West Brom felt they had a chance after the break and came at us. We had little threat. Sure we kept them at bay for a while but we were not threatening them.

Eriksen was both quality and a tad fretful because I thought he could have got the Alli through ball. In saying that Alli was quiet, Lamela back to his unnecessary worst on occasions and Kane too isolated. Striker 2 or Son on earlier to give their defenders something to think about. You don't always have to wait until it happens to react.

And Lloris, super goalkeeper and often we are in his debt. Tonight for me he was overly nervy. It doesn't help and the goal concession was mostly his fault.

Now we have to hope United beat Leicester to give us focus for the Chelsea match.

Well, Pulis knows to sit deep, don't allow any space and on our small pitch it will be hard to created anything.
It's been done before to us at home. Also unlike at Woolwich they turned up tonight and made it very difficult.
However, a little bit more luck and we could have been 2 up.
The ball is not just going in. That's football.
Crowd seemed nervous from the start and we came out a bit flat tbh.
Still, an few inches here or there and we could have been saying what fantastic goals by Kane, Eriksen and Lamela.
I also think this Monday night bollocks was a bit unfair. If they want to create excitement why not put the team defending the lead on Monday's? Historically Monday night football atmosphere is just not the same.
I mean we had to win whatever, yes. But there is a difference to playing at the weekend and knowing that, than playing after everyone else knowing that it's fucking essential if they've dropped points or not.
They could have been going into a poxy Monday night game knowing that we had just reduced the gap or even dropped points and the pressure is on them to increase it.

Anyway, fair play to LCFC they have been the most consistent over the season. Yes they have had their luck and it seemed like they were just destined to win it, but congratulations is in order.
Magnanimous in victory, but also gracious in defeat.

I never thought we were going to win the title, but whilst there was a chance I believed. I think it was lost a while ago. We were taking the EL seriously, and the cups whilst LCFC in a position to concentrate on their title push.
I seriously think Poch thought we were not in the race, otherwise we would have done what we did at Dortmund earlier and maybe rested players in the FA cup.
Yet we were not in the position of LCFC being 7 points ahead and tied top with Woolwich. We had to do so. By the time we knew we were in the title race, at the end of Feb, we'd played 2 more cup and 2 EL games going out of the cup. We then lost away to Spam and then gave Woolwich a draw before Poch then made the decision to do what he did at Dortmund.

I feel a bit disappointed tonight, but it doesn't distract from what a wonderful season this young team/squad has had. Especially as most of them are still learning, as we see with Ali. You cannot let a niggling, sniping cunt like Yacob get your nut. If you ask me, he played right into the game plan.
There have been massive improvements though and they have a lot of time ahead to improve.
MP and staff have done wonders with this small and mainly inexperienced squad to compete on all fronts strongly and be where we are.
I wouldn't have thought it possible.

We have to now concentrate on staying in 2nd/ Automatic qualification and above the scum.
I believe we still have what it takes whether we lose both Dier and Ali.
Proud of my club.

Edit: Just like to add that we have only beaten WBA at home once in 5 seasons, 1-0, the rest have been draws. Tonight had a sense of Deja vu about it from the time Kane shot was saved and came off the post.
We have only beaten them 3 times total in those 12 meetings, losing 1 and drawing 8.

Last edited:
I never expected anything this season .
Tonight we didn't do enough to deserve 3 points. In a way it is was unlikely we were ever going
to catch them considering we fucked up with the West Ham and the waste of time ropey Europa cup games .
Leicester's grit makes them worthy champions .
We are best footballing side in the league . Poch has done a marvellous job and deserves
to be backed financially next season . A very good season and one to be proud of
but not a great one , that is reserved for winners .

I think the Mason sub was totally pointless to be totally honest. Yes Dier was injured but what exactly does Mason do? he literally just strolls around and picks easy passes. Should have moved Eriksen centrally with Mousa and put on Son for Dier. Taking Alli off for Chadli was a really odd sub as well.

I wanted the exact sub as you did. But I think that's harsh on Mason. As it were, the call was made by Poch not to go all-out attack, but try to win the midfield battle - which we were losing at the time of the sub - and build from there. No point in putting on another forward if we're not winning the battle in the center. As it were, he came on to fulfill Dier's role (and maybe add a run or two more forward than Dier would have), so how do you scapegoat him for doing the role, he's asked?

Who would you guys start vs Chelski if both Dier and Alli are out?

If their mental states are good and Poch expects to utilize them next season, I'd love to Bentaleb and Son given a full 90. If not, I'd give the nod to Wimmer with whichever of the three CBs, Poch feels best equipped for DCM played there to try it out, and Chadli or Onomah (again dependent on who Poch feels will be closest to pushing for a starting position next season).

I wanted the exact sub as you did. But I think that's harsh on Mason. As it were, the call was made by Poch not to go all-out attack, but try to win the midfield battle - which we were losing at the time of the sub - and build from there. No point in putting on another forward if we're not winning the battle in the center. As it were, he came on to fulfill Dier's role (and maybe add a run or two more forward than Dier would have), so how do you scapegoat him for doing the role, he's asked?
he didn't fulfil Dier's role though did he? they looked the team likeliest to score the winner and it was all coming through the middle. He's a nothing player that doesn't offer much both in an attacking and defensive sense.

I genuinely do think MNF has killed it... not just 'cos of tonight, 'cos we won last Monday at Stoke at a canter... but in terms of excitement for the all important fucking neutral (apparently) what did that bring? We closed the gap back to 5 points... which we had to, so it was as you were... and we had to wait till Monday night to find that out?
Swap our game with Stoke for Leicester's with West ham last week, and you have yourself a bumper 2 days of drama... as it was, we were just playing catch-up on a lead that was 8 points... so where's the drama? Leicester
having to win on Monday 'cos of our result the day before woulda made much better viewing...

Tonight was different 'cos we didn't do that... but think (from a Sky tv perspective) if our game had've been on Sunday... yes, we dropped points, so the pressure/atmosphere/relief at watching Leicester v Swansea tonight would've been amazing, and TV gold (taking my Spurs hat off for a moment!)

But I guess Sky/BT bollocks don't see it that way, 'cos they've invested so heavily already in The Leicseitertsreictershire (as the US Film franchise will call them) fairytale... so why ruin things by actually applying a bit of pressure when most needed... ie; them needing to win to extend the gap we closed 24 hours earlier?

Oawwwwwh fuck it, it's all pre-packaged soundbite bollocks anyway.
...I guess we'll be remembered for the being the best team that didn't win the League this season!

he didn't fulfil Dier's role though did he? they looked the team likeliest to score the winner and it was all coming through the middle. He's a nothing player that doesn't offer much both in an attacking and defensive sense.

At the level of being in a team pushing for titles, I agree (though I think he'll have a good PL career).

That's not what I replied to though. You had at Mason based on his choice of passes, and that's what I responded to. If you change the subject of debate halfway through, it's kinda pointless.

Unbelievably we are still not yet sure of a Champion's League place so that has to be priority one.

Still gutted about last night. Worst I have felt for a long time. Worse is that it just gives Leciester so much leeway and us with more to do to ensure a top 4 slot. Still not guaranteed but come the United/Leicester game it is still angling for a United victory.

I think Pochettino and 2/3 players had an indecisive evening if I can be critical.

And I thought that once again and mostly at home it showed that if teams suss us out we find it hard to change our style of play because our options are not there. Next season it has to be different.

Lloris was at fault for the goal.

It didn't look good, but if you watch the replays you'll see Sessegnon using his arm to stop Lloris from reaching the ball. Should've been a free kick for Lloris.

But alas, we're no Leicester. We need to win by outplaying the opponents, can't win by getting decisions or by hitting the net on all of our chances.

Cg7BEO9WIAM5W2O.jpg

This is why my love for Sandro will never wane.
Hugging Vertonghen isn't gonna bring those lost 2 points back though, is it??

Pushing hmm over in the box on 89 mins to 'earn us' a penalty may have helped!!!

Everyone else seems hell-bent on seeing Leicester win the title, we really are the Panto villains here... even if we've been acknowledged as being the side who plays the best football.... that's scant consolation when you realise EVERYONE outside of N17 doesn't want to see us win it this year!
(They would had it been Utd, Chelsea or Arse we were chasing... but that's a story for another season...)

GAAAAAAAHHHHH this morning hurts real bad now!

I genuinely do think MNF has killed it... not just 'cos of tonight, 'cos we won last Monday at Stoke at a canter... but in terms of excitement for the all important fucking neutral (apparently) what did that bring? We closed the gap back to 5 points... which we had to, so it was as you were... and we had to wait till Monday night to find that out?
Swap our game with Stoke for Leicester's with West ham last week, and you have yourself a bumper 2 days of drama... as it was, we were just playing catch-up on a lead that was 8 points... so where's the drama? Leicester
having to win on Monday 'cos of our result the day before woulda made much better viewing...

Tonight was different 'cos we didn't do that... but think (from a Sky tv perspective) if our game had've been on Sunday... yes, we dropped points, so the pressure/atmosphere/relief at watching Leicester v Swansea tonight would've been amazing, and TV gold (taking my Spurs hat off for a moment!)

But I guess Sky/BT bollocks don't see it that way, 'cos they've invested so heavily already in The Leicseitertsreictershire (as the US Film franchise will call them) fairytale... so why ruin things by actually applying a bit of pressure when most needed... ie; them needing to win to extend the gap we closed 24 hours earlier?

Oawwwwwh fuck it, it's all pre-packaged soundbite bollocks anyway.
...I guess we'll be remembered for the being the best team that didn't win the League this season!

Got to agree. Surely a mix and match approach.

Every conceivable advantage has gone Leicester's way. They have taken it but I suspect if Pochettino had Ferguson type savvy we would have seen a different sort of chase. Not being judgemental but highlighting a subtle something that Ferguson and Mourinho have like no other.

I just hope Pochettino has picked up some valuable tips on how to manipulate the powers that be for next time round to suit our needs somewhat more fairly.

Well this is depressing.

I could accept it if we failed to bring down one of the big guns. Someone with experience of a title run in.

But Leicester? Sorry not having it.

The worse thing about it all is the round robin circle jerk amongst "neutrals".

Oooooh plucky little Leicester. With their billionaire owner and racist rat of a striker. Fuck em.

Our success (or apparent lack there of) has been built on years of gradual improvement and investment of the fans money.

If all they had was that to support them they would still be scraping by in the lower leagues.

As you can tell, I'm not "over it" yet.

Cunts. All of them. And all of you. And most of all me for believing the curse had lifted. I'm off to punch someone in the throat at work. Have a nice day xx

The problem for me is that this is just typical Spurs, not new Tottenham, but Typical "let's allow the world to laugh at us again" Tottenham. It's West Brom @ home and we come up short in the one of the biggest games we have had, there is simply no comfort.

Then realise that we are not guaranteed Champions league, we are not safe from the scum and we have Chelsea next without Dier & likely Ali.....all of a sudden a clogger like Craig fucking Dawson has spun everything on its head. I am less fucked off about the league than I am looking down and realising that "holy shit" this could still go badly badly wrong, when it should have been over ! Got to get 4 points from 9, but anyone see an issue with winning at Chelsea or away to a revitalized and desperate Newcastle, or which team would love to stick it to Poch most ? Oh ok play them at Home !

As for why we came up short. Well to be fair, 1 striker is likely to be the short answer, so many draws suggests a lack of cutting edge, despite stats.

Fuck me, this place has fallen apart! Ok, we drew at home to West Brom which isn't ideal, but we are still 5 clear in 2nd! We might have slim title hopes now, but back in August we were predicted to finish 8th!

It's been an amazing season, and with improvements and potential still to be met the future can only get brighter! We might not be guaranteed CL football, but it's in our hands! The squad is more than capable of winning all 3 games.

There are some dreadful 'fans' on here.

Back
Top Bottom