THE MIGHTY SPURS VS WBA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd imagine the cunt who is Jeremy Peace will be wanting to get his players proper up for this one. Wouldn't surprise me if he told them to roll over for Woolwich then turn up against us..

Then again.. Kane must be licking his lips at the thought of Gareth McAuley and Johnny Evans.

I'd imagine the cunt who is Jeremy Peace will be wanting to get his players proper up for this one. Wouldn't surprise me if he told them to roll over for Woolwich then turn up against us..

Then again.. Kane must be licking his lips at the thought of Gareth McAuley and Johnny Evans.

Peace can say what he wants we should be too good for them. Lets see how Berahino does to try and play for a contract with us? Score hat-trick of own goals?

If we better Utd's result this week then we are guaranteed top 4.

Well, even if we both win, it'll be a 9 point gap, but we have +27 goal difference over them..

Not sure how much sway the chairman has in the dressing room. Yes, he holds the purse strings so could double the win bonus or something like that, but I just don't see anyone from senior management having any real impact in the dressing room. That is Pulis' job. In fact, if I was the manager I would be pretty pissed off if the chief exec was interfering in the day to day running of the team.

It's true that teams when they have nothing to play for can play differently, but generally they still want to win. Table positions do make a big difference to club income too so the club cares usually. The Euros in the summer so several players playing for places. Also it is sometimes easier to play well when not under pressure to avoid relegation or whatever. Basically, we have four games which we will try to take maximum points from and Leicester have four games they will try to take enough points from. But we are on fire and Leicester have been average for weeks and weeks.

I can't help but worry about every game, even if we're playing the local kindergarten team. I'll take that and end up being wowed after all is said and done, compared to a few seasons ago where I felt "this time we'll do it," only to end up being disappointed.

Blimey, when did the Tottenham Under 3's get so good...? They snuck under the radar all the way to the Premier League pretty sharpish?? Must be summit in the Milk!
So, does that mean 2 extra games this season now... at least it's 6 games to catch up, not four...
OK OK... i'm milking the gag a bit much here... sorry, 3 day premature-pre-match nerves!

We just have to make WHL a cauldron on Monday night show that other lot what proper support is all about.
I know it's Monday but let's just get behind the lads even if it gets edgy.Non stop from the first minute to the last.

Spurs v West Brom Preview

It’s getting a little difficult for me to find the motivation for examining this upcoming game from an analytical stand point. It’s much more tempting to take a more poetic and rhetorical angle on our current situation in the style of Spooky's excellent recent piece "Serenading Spurs".

Maybe it’s the brain mushing intensity of the title race getting to me. Maybe it’s the unimpressive negativity of the opposition ahead. Or maybe it’s a growing acceptance that Spurs are now at a level way above the four teams we have left to face that we needn’t be so mindful of them. That we are now in a position where my preview can be summed up in “We’ll play our game, it’ll be great and we’ll win”. Okay maybe not quite so brief:

In recent games against Stoke and Liverpool we played a shape much closer to it is on paper. Eriksen high and on the left. Alli central but still a midfielder. Dier and Dembele tied together and both equal distance between defence and attack. I think that’s because in both games we played very directly, somewhat counter attack, and for that needed well defined defensive roles that allowed us to create two banks of four.

The idea that Spurs would simultaneously have less of the ball than Stoke and win emphatically is laughable when taken from the perspective of the last 5 years.

A large part of that is because Stoke are still tied to the reputation they garnered underTony Pulis. Well now Pulis is now at West Brom and while he hasn’t turned them into the Stoke team he had he is trying to.

They will set up deep and narrow with the intention of frustrating us. They will attempt to impose theirselves on us physically. They will attempt to nick one on the counter by utilising the individual talents of Sessegnon and transfer target Berahino. And they will hope that target man Rondon will cause us problems. But I’m fairly confident they won’t. Not least because, for once, the opposition had to play on a Thursday night and we are the team with the full week’s rest/training. This confidence still feels so unnatural but it’s not undeserved.

Against Liverpool and Stoke I wrote out our line-ups in the 433/3421ish shape that Pochettino has gradually moved us to throughout the season and I was wrong. But I’m doubling down. West Brom will sit back and invite us forward and so Pochettino will likely instruct Alli and Lamela to operate almost as forwards with Eriksen coming deep into the space to dictate our play.

screen-shot-2016-04-22-at-16-22-58.png

Expect errors in my West Brom line-up. Rotation across a packed schedule and an uncertain XI makes guessing them a challenge.

In Spurs team news Clinton N’Jie is fit. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and some Spurs fans are becoming very excited by the return of a winger who, although very promising and exciting, has produced fairly little so far and as Pochettino put it “there are other players in front of him” in the squad. N’Jie’s Lennon-esque pace off the bench could prove worthwhile between now and the end of the season but I doubt that will be the case against Pulis’ West Brom.

Coize

It's true that teams when they have nothing to play for can play differently, but generally they still want to win. Table positions do make a big difference to club income too so the club cares usually. The Euros in the summer so several players playing for places. Also it is sometimes easier to play well when not under pressure to avoid relegation or whatever. Basically, we have four games which we will try to take maximum points from and Leicester have four games they will try to take enough points from. But we are on fire and Leicester have been average for weeks and weeks.

Shame all those sides that rolled over for them, were not taking finishing positions into account!

Back
Top Bottom