January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mauriicio`s a great coach. Im his biggest fan. But I wouldn`t take a single word of what he says regarding transfers and transfer policy at face value.
That's fine, you're free to declare that you're convinced he has to be lying, but his words match his actions. So, if he says he thinks Son can be used as a striker, then plays him as a striker, it's rather hard to make the case that he's being disingenuous.

Buying a proper striker is a must and has been for about a year now. This is not something that's just come about last minute. We are lucky that Harry Kane seems to be made of iron but this luck won't last forever. If Harry Kane gets injured and we have no real striker to come in and do a job then don't come on here and moan when our season takes a nosedive. We all want to make sure this dosen't happen.

SUGGEST SOMEONE

Excuses for what? We're playing really well. What do I need an excuse for?
as cover I would take quite a lot of decent strikers to be honest. Berahino, Rhodes, abel hernandez from hull.

I think you're missing the point. We pay scouts a lot of money to identify talent from leagues which we don't even watch and I'm sure they also have names they've suggested so the fact that you're average footy fan might not be able to come up with many doesn't prove that they are not available.

That's fine, you're free to declare that you're convinced he has to be lying, but his words match his actions. So, if he says he thinks Son can be used as a striker, then plays him as a striker, it's rather hard to make the case that he's being disingenuous.
Can't take him at his word...

Like when you and your like were bemoaning the lack of DM bought in the summer suggesting he was being disingenuous suggesting we have Dier who was good enough. That was Levy talking through him apparently.

I take Poch at his word. His track record is far greater than you melters.

And it was all Levy's fault. Harry's actions during the year had nothing to do with it. Harry's inability to find talent had nothing to do with it. It had to be all Levy's fault.

This is spectacular revisionism.
Was any of it Levy`s fault ? Or is he totally blameless ? When we appear to fall away each year due to lack of squad depth can any of the blame be down to our zero net spend policy and brinkmanship ? Is Daniel L£vy above all criticism ?

Holy crap, why are people getting so angry with each other over this?

No, there aren't any first-eleven-improving strikers out there for us to buy (whether down to inflated price or refusal to move until summer) in this window. Nor should any reasonable person expect us to bring that type of player in.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to want a young, fairly inexpensive prospect such as Dembélé to serve as an option in our busy run in (that, at present consists of three separate competitions).

He would not be a Harry Kane beater. However, it'd be invaluable to be able to bring Kane off for an actual striker when we're winning and don't want to fatigue him. If we go further in the FA cup and Europa, you can bet your ass that Kane will be played. That'll end up being a lot of matches and a lot of opportunity to strain himself if he plays for too long.

Is this situation identical to 2011/12? No. A lot of that was down to 'Arry's lack of rotation. But at least then, Levy saw that we could do with a boost in a couple of positions (even if the choices were mixed).

If we signed Dembélé and actually didn't use him a huge amount then I'd be thrilled as it means Kane stays injury free. But I'd rather have him and be a bit less terrified of that risk.

as cover I would take quite a lot of decent strikers to be honest. Berahino, Rhodes, abel hernandez from hull.

I think you're missing the point. We pay scouts a lot of money to identify talent from leagues which we don't even watch and I'm sure they also have names they've suggested so the fact that you're average footy fan might not be able to come up with many doesn't prove that they are not available.
It proves that Poch doesn't want them. If they're in 'leagues which we don't even watch' it wouldn't be hard for us to get them.

Poch doesn't want them, therefore we can deduce that quality of player is not available.

Also, lol @ a vastly unfit Berahino @ 25mil, Jordan Rhodes and Abel Hernandez being better than Son currently. Lol.

Just like how Dier isn't a midfielder and Gareth Bale wasn't a winger?
Dier played DM for sporting and was identified as a DM....God knows what your Bale point is as he played for Southampton and most people thought he was better further forward. A bit different than chadli, Lamela and Son playing in a position they've rarely played.

It proves that Poch doesn't want them. If they're in 'leagues which we don't even watch' it wouldn't be hard for us to get them.

Poch doesn't want them, therefore we can deduce that quality of player is not available.

Also, lol @ a vastly unfit Berahino @ 25mil, Jordan Rhodes and Abel Hernandez being better than Son currently. Lol.
What's lol? I'm not familiar with this terminology. I actually saw a 6 year old type it once and was baffled.
Anyway it's not a case of them being better players..it's a case of them performing more consistently in the striker role than Son which I think both would.

Dier played DM for sporting and was identified as a DM....God knows what your Bale point is as he played for Southampton and most people thought he was better further forward. A bit different than chadli, Lamela and Son playing in a position they've rarely played.

My point is pretty damn obvious actually. Eric Dier isn't a DM. He's a CB. But he has been moved to DM and it's worked out fine. Gareth Bale started out in Left back for us, moved forward and became a world record player.

The point is that just because someone isn't always played in a position, doesn't mean they don't have the skills to play in that position. You can try and argue that Son and Chadli aren't strikers all you want, even though my point was aimed at Don Corleone and not you. But that doesn't mean they don't have the skills to play up front and to play well up front.

The fact I've had to go into detail to explain that is frankly embarrassing however.

Edit: Want some more? How about Mascherano as a Champions league CB despite having been a DM his whole career before that?

You're acting like DM to CB is no big deal yet "wide forward" to "centre forward" is fucking witchcraft!

Who's saying we are going to get relegated if we don't sign someone? That's not what people are saying. People are worried and have every reason to be because we have just 1 striker on our books. Nacer Chadli and Son are not strikers!!! They never have and never will be. They will come in and do a job if we are desperate but we need a natural striker to come in just Incase shit hits the fan. Why is everyone acting like a bunch of clowns and calling people " cunts" for a perfectly reasonable request.
Fine, since non of your lot will answer the question, I'll pose it to you.

Who in the market, that is currently available from their current club*, that is within a price range Levy is willing to purchase*, will guarantee us a title and/or keep us from getting bumped out of the top 4?

*We don't know shit about who is truly available to purchase and at what price. We actually don't know shit about anything, just what the media lies to us about or what we make up in our minds.

What's lol? I'm not familiar with this terminology. I actually saw a 6 year old type it once and was baffled.
Anyway it's not a case of them being better players..it's a case of them performing more consistently in the striker role than Son which I think both would.
Hernandez has already not cut the mustard in the prem. Berahino would need a month to get up to speed and Rhodes is never good enough in a month of Sundays.

Even then, they won't be the difference between CL or not.

We all know Poch likes to bed in players slowly, so the likelihood is, whoever we get in won't have too many opportunities to be that influential this year anyway.

If the quality is found, I'm all for it. But buying for buying's sake I'm really not up for.

Was any of it Levy`s fault ? Or is he totally blameless ? When we appear to fall away each year due to lack of squad depth can any of the blame be down to our zero net spend policy and brinkmanship ? Is Daniel L£vy above all criticism ?
Is it all him? Harry was incapable of finding suitable talent that didn't have an agent he knew personally attached to it. He's the one that turned down Suarez. He didn't find VDV, in fact, I am struggling to think of a single decent player who joined Spurs as a result of Harry, rather than someone forcing them on him.

Juande Ramos complains Levy refused to back him, because he wouldn't sign Eto'o. He literally refused to entertain alternatives.

It's all Levy's fault that AVB's requests all either were overpriced, or hard third-party issues at Porto, because he was unable to run a competitive team which didn't use those exact players.

Levy has been tight-fisted, he has refused overpaying, and he has been overly hard on at least one occasion (Aubameyang).

Yet to claim that our falling away every year is solely down to a lack of signings, rather than managerial errors which have clear evidence is more than a little silly. And to then say that all is lost, this year, because we're not signing some unknown player, even though the coach has said he has alternatives already, and has successfully used said alternatives is an argument which has no evidence, as far as I can see.

Holy crap, why are people getting so angry with each other over this?

No, there aren't any first-eleven-improving strikers out there for us to buy (whether down to inflated price or refusal to move until summer) in this window. Nor should any reasonable person expect us to bring that type of player in.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to want a young, fairly inexpensive prospect such as Dembélé to serve as an option in our busy run in (that, at present consists of three separate competitions).

He would not be a Harry Kane beater. However, it'd be invaluable to be able to bring Kane off for an actual striker when we're winning and don't want to fatigue him. If we go further in the FA cup and Europa, you can bet your ass that Kane will be played. That'll end up being a lot of matches and a lot of opportunity to strain himself if he plays for too long.

Is this situation identical to 2011/12? No. A lot of that was down to 'Arry's lack of rotation. But at least then, Levy saw that we could do with a boost in a couple of positions (even if the choices were mixed).

If we signed Dembélé and actually didn't use him a huge amount then I'd be thrilled as it means Kane stays injury free. But I'd rather have him and be a bit less terrified of that risk.

That's a very well thought out and logical post, brother.

Can we go back to calling each other cunts now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom