Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea (3rd December)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we are just hoping for a performance, there's a big difference between a good team struggling for consistency and a team who haven't lost yet this season.

I really don't know on Right back, I kind of discounted Naughton for Dier but they both come with their risks, that is our achilles heal, if you were the oppo, it's where you would go for and while I thought Fazio looked good on Sunday, I still think he's liable to get a red card, we have players who can easily fall in to the 'loose cannon' and 'inconsistent' labels.

I would not put Lamela on for this game as I can see him either putting in a petulant challenge or being muscled off the ball, he will get better but he's not the finished product, if we're in the last 15 and drawing then I would happily throw him on to add an attacking dimension. I do think Lennon had to be an option as added cover and I really think his pace still frightens teams.

The question of changing the midfield mix is an interesting one, I am not sure about Dembele, we still don't know where to use him in the current system. Capoue is an odd one too, somewhere in there is a deadly defensive midfielder but we haven't seen the best of him yet. I definitely think Chadli should have some kind of role in this game, probably as a sub, if we need to use a 5 man midfield then you have to have him in there.

On Soldado, while he looks much brighter, if we're playing 1 up front, I think it has to be Kane, he has the confidence, energy and sheer force of will to frighten defences and while I wouldn't want to hit Soldado's good form we have to play the right system because Chelsea will capitalise on any weakness.

Thinking about it, I really wouldn't mind if we parked the bus again!

I really don't know on Right back, I kind of discounted Naughton for Dier but they both come with their risks, that is our achilles heal, if you were the oppo, it's where you would go for and while I thought Fazio looked good on Sunday, I still think he's liable to get a red card, we have players who can easily fall in to the 'loose cannon' and 'inconsistent' labels.

I think for the first time in a long while, our back four looked good as a unit. I'd hate to see him change it for Wednesday, they're without Costa and will most likely start Drogba. I'd much rather Fazio dealt with him than Dier or Kaboul.

[formation=442, Lloris, Kaboul, Vertonghan, Fazio, Rose, Lennon, Mason, Bentalab, Eriksen, Kane, Soldado][/formation]

I reckon we basically start the same team we did against Everton and since Naughton still suspended and Vlad injured I would go for Kaboul at right back rather than see Dier destroyed by Hazard or Willian.

If Costa were playing would definitely pair Fazio against him just for strength but looks like he's injured.

I cant honestly see us winning. Maybe Townsend will be back from injury and can inject some pace down the left.

I see the "Chelsea Invincibles" press packet is starting to make the rounds.

C'mon, they're not going to finish the season unbeaten. They look excellent and like they're going to run away with the title, but finishing a season unbeaten is 10x harder now than back when those cunts down the road did it.

I don't care if Poch plays Lloris and Kabul up top with Kane in net, as long as we beat those cunts. Hopefully Soldado goes head to head with Terry and teaches that cunt a lesson. Bobby seems like he has a short fuse and judging by his eagerness to fight Benteke he isn't scared of anyone.

:soldadowatch:
Prediction 0-2 win for Spurs.
Soldado and Lamela to score, Kane to assist both.

:smesh:

:dude::freundgoal::dude:

Naughton is definitely available and I think is our best option on the right against Hazard. I also agree with lots of others here that Hazard needs some double-teaming, so Lennon in RM makes sense. Lennon also brings pace to counter-attack.

Midfield - I think we need to be realistic that we'll be doing lots of defending, so we need players who can break up play and keep the ball. I watched Benji with horror against Partizan. Just too slow. Not sure how close Capoue is to being fit but it'd be good to play him. I'd take a punt on Bentaleb too.

4-4-1-1 again works for me: We need that width to counter Chelsea's wing-play.

I'd like to see:

. . . . . . . . Lloris
Naughts Fazio Jan Rose
Lennon Capoue Bentaleb Chadli
. . . . .Kane
. . . . . . . . .Bobby

Chelsea's midfield of Fabregas, Matic, Oscar, Hazard + Willian or Schurle is not all powerful.

They are technically much better so we desperately need the work rate shown v Everton.

Lennon, Bentaleb, Mason and Kane all have that. If the Eriksen from the last game turns up then the same midfield can hold its own.

Chelsea's midfield of Fabregas, Matic, Oscar, Hazard + Willian or Schurle is not all powerful.

They are technically much better so we desperately need the work rate shown v Everton.

Lennon, Bentaleb, Mason and Kane all have that. If the Eriksen from the last game turns up then the same midfield can hold its own.

Yeh you got, work rate is the key, we need to want it more than their players, hopefully the spirit from the Everton game will carry on.

Heart says; We've collectively turned a corner, haven't won there since 1990 and they are (Chelsea) are due a defeat (+ added bonus of missing Costa) = CFC 1 - 2 THFC

Brain says: Fabregas pulls the strings and Hazard runs circles around our defence = CFC 3 - 1 THFC

Better than Dier I think, at least he can run and dribble a bit.
Sure, he can run, just at about 1/4 the speed of Hazard. I'm not saying that I feel comfortable with Dier or Naughton in that position, but I just can't imagine Kaboul doing anything but chasing Hazard from behind the entire game.

Naughton, although he can be a complete mess, is fast enough to where he can at least put up a little bit of a fight when it comes to a foot race.

Sure, he can run, just at about 1/4 the speed of Hazard. I'm not saying that I feel comfortable with Dier or Naughton in that position, but I just can't imagine Kaboul doing anything but chasing Hazard from behind the entire game.

Naughton, although he can be a complete mess, is fast enough to where he can at least put up a little bit of a fight when it comes to a foot race.

He's injured tho :pochfacepalm:

According to FM Capoue might be able to play right back!

Back
Top Bottom