Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea (3rd December)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So happy Walker is coming back, with him and Yeldin to come plus we have Naughton, Dier and Chriches who can play there.

Not against that, but say we play Kane up front and Chadli just behind as they are two phyiscal players, worried that Soldado not being quick or that strong might get eaten by Terry and Cahill. I know everyone loves Bobby after the goal and I was delighted for him just not sure this game is for him. This could be a real physical battle.
I don't know if anyone has spent a lot of time paying attention to Roberto's off the ball interaction with a defense, but when I've seen him, both live and on TV, he's not one who gets intimidated. I've seen him pick a fight (literally) with an entire back line, and against Everton he was constantly giving them little pokes and prods, physically, and with some trash talk after. He's definitely more aggressive in that way than either Kane or Adebayor, so small-sized or not, if I wanted someone to be nasty to John Terry, Bobby Soldier's the guy for me.

Terry will boss Soldado. Cahill is the one we can expose. He has a tendency to back off players running at pace. I reckon Kane could get change out of him if he carries on like he did yesterday.

I don't know if anyone has spent a lot of time paying attention to Roberto's off the ball interaction with a defense, but when I've seen him, both live and on TV, he's not one who gets intimidated. I've seen him pick a fight (literally) with an entire back line, and against Everton he was constantly giving them little pokes and prods, physically, and with some trash talk after. He's definitely more aggressive in that way than either Kane or Adebayor, so small-sized or not, if I wanted someone to be nasty to John Terry, Bobby Soldier's the guy for me.

It's not that he is scare it's the speed, strength factor and thats were I am a little concerned, players like Kane and Chadli will give Terry and Cahill a hard time. Terry good defender that he is, is not quick Kane could do some runs at him. Bobby has great movement but watching Terry over the years its great movement that he deals best with, speed however is a killer for him. I think like Mad Yid Mad Yid said this just feels like an upset if we play our cards right and get some luck. Poch's tactics against Everton were spot on but identical tactics against Chelsea might not work the same.

I do understand people saying that it would be hard to drop Soldado after he got his confidence though.

I don't agree with people saying we should should go for he early attacks/goals and invite them onto us. I perosnaly feel like we have been much better when we are attacking teams from 1-0 down. We still don't look amazing at the back (excluding Hugo :llorisserious:) so I don't think inviting them onto us is a very good idea.

If/when Mikel is part of the game we will know whah Jose is planning. If Mikel is on, he is going for a bore draw willing to sit and absorb pressure if he isn't part of the game then the defence needs to be on point. Unfortunatly I can see Ramires getting a look in on his game and trying to impose himself on the Chelsea scene again as he has been left out a bit recently.

Im also picturing Schurrle socring as people have mentioned how they'd love him to sign for us in Jan (myself included, sorry guys.)

Lloris
Naughton - Fazio - Vertonghen - Davies
Lennon - Mason - Bentaleb - Eriksen
Kane
Ade

Subs @ 65':
if winning: Dembele for Eriksen, Soldado for Ade
if losing: Dembele for Bentaleb, Paulinho for Kane, Soldado for Ade

COYS

Fuck it, same starting 11. It seems stupid but why dent anyone's confidence? Obviously bring Naughton in but Vlad's injured anyway so it's hardly going to hurt his confidence.

We have a winning combination with this 11, lets not halt the progress we've made and lets not give Chelsea the respect they'll want. Some may call it reckless, but if we're going to lose, why not try and make a bloody game of it? And who knows, maybe we'll come away with a historic win!

LETS DO THIS! COYFS!!!

It's not that he is scare it's the speed, strength factor and thats were I am a little concerned, players like Kane and Chadli will give Terry and Cahill a hard time. Terry good defender that he is, is not quick Kane could do some runs at him. Bobby has great movement but watching Terry over the years its great movement that he deals best with, speed however is a killer for him. I think like Mad Yid Mad Yid said this just feels like an upset if we play our cards right and get some luck. Poch's tactics against Everton were spot on but identical tactics against Chelsea might not work the same.

I do understand people saying that it would be hard to drop Soldado after he got his confidence though.
Which is fair, I was more commenting on the argument that Soldado could be easily over-powered. I think willpower and a bad attitude can compensate quite well for that, and Soldado's (on pitch) is probably the worst we have.

I agree pace against Chelsea's back line would be a good thing, but I don't know if Chadli would provide more of that than Soldado.

Either way, it's nice to have a pleasant choice for a change, and to feel a little bit of hope. Now to put our faith and trust in Pochettino and pray...

On a side note does anyone understand why we have not been playing two forwards before. I was surprised to see us play Kane and Soldado against Everton but kind of hoped we would use it against the likes of lower teams who come to the lane to park the bus but we seemed to use just one forward most of the time.

The tactics we had yesterday seem perfect for not just Everton but the likes of Sunderland.

On a side note does anyone understand why we have not been playing two forwards before. I was surprised to see us play Kane and Soldado against Everton but kind of hoped we would use it against the likes of lower teams who come to the lane to park the bus but we seemed to use just one forward most of the time.

The tactics we had yesterday seem perfect for not just Everton but the likes of Sunderland.
I think Poch realises that his preferred system won't always work with the group he has & is willing to be flexible to maximise our capabilities. We had players chasing back from the front for 90 minutes on Sunday which meant that when we weren't in possession all 10 outfield players were harassing Everton. I don't think it matters if you go with one or two up top if everyone is stifling the opposition like flies on shit rather than having one bloke stood on the halfway line picking his nose most of the time hoping for a breakaway chance. Whether we can do that for 90 minutes against Chavski is another matter with the players they have. But why not give it a bloody good go?

imagine what you fear?
lets wait for the reality?
There will be tactical changes as Chadli coming into the team i guess so team will change form Sunday. We will probably struggle what ever team he plays. I just want to see consistency , Poch keeping the momentum going, players competing for places. Against the Chavs a good performance is needed and the result will take care of it self.
don't get me wrong i want to see consistency as well, but for me Chelsea away needs some changes.

football is all about opinion. ?
Only having one forward will not give us an outlet if we are under the cosh for long periods or will it help when pushing forward. They are one of the best teams in the PL so we must respect that but not fear it.
yeah & i respect yours, don't agree with it though.

yep we shouldn't fear them, doesn't mean we should start the same attacking team as that will be suicide imo. guess we'll find out wednesday

At Soton his trick was using the LW like a second striker, and Chadli was doing that very well, but it seemed like it didn't allow the midfield balance to be found. Pushing Eriksen to LW with Kane and Soldado as a pair of strikers seems to let him get the midfield he wanted. I think we're getting hung up on formations when Pochettino cares more about roles on the pitch, rather than the strict number they lined up in.

Back
Top Bottom