Was the right decision made???

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did Daniel Levy make the right decision?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Were better now sorry mick:windy:not that much better
DrunkFinalistsFor2008_02.jpg

Yes, it was the right decision to sack AVB.

BUT the most obvious question that follows and is linked, is who do you replace him with?
He knows the market. He knew from at least the Citeh game that he might sack him, probably before, so he had ample time to pick a target to get in and have things ready or close to ready. Yet, the impression from where the fans are sitting is that he has not been prepared. We start a second game tomorrow without a new manager and it seems like it could take a while longer yet before that decision is made. That seems crazy to me. It makes the decision to sack AVB a bad one not because it was in itself a bad decision, but because we have gone from a bad position to a worse one by then failing to follow that action up with the next necessary action.
:parker:
edit: the bigger picture of course is that Levy has turned our club into an unattractive proposition for many would-be-managers and that is legacy going back at least as far as Martin Jol's farcical sacking and perhaps before.

This is why I simplified the question. Because the question of who do you replace him with, is invariably a massive factor in the ultimate judgement of what to do re: AVB.

We weren't going as well as we would've liked, however things weren't horrific, and with no noticable back-up plan in place, combined with a heap of other factors, I would find it difficult to argue that this isn't the wrong decision.

Don't put words in my mouth - that is neither what I said, nor is it what I meant.
The guy has gone, irrespective of whether AVB was god to you or a clown, he is history.
All that matters now is getting the next appointment right, wasting time, effort and energy at agonising over the nature, reasoning or righteousness of his demise is ultimately pointless and destructive.
- having seen some of your posts on various threads, I can only assume you have been mainlining your grannies sanatogen or you have been snorting toilet freshener.
Think before you post, or you will simply look more childish than your avatar and boring overuse of that particular smiley option would already suggest you are.
With everything that goes balls up, a retrospective has to be conducted to identify what went wrong and if the right decisions were made and most importantly what can be done to try and avoid or minimise this occurring again. Until one is in possession of all the facts, all people can do is reflect and debate what may have happened or gloss over it and move on. (as you are advocating Mick) If Levy or AVB (or others) chose to reveal this in the future who knows? I just get pissed off that these people think that all they need to do is feed the fans bullshit and leave them in the dark and things will be alright. Glossing over stuff is not a healthy thing in the long run, it alienates people against each-other as it is doing here.

For my money, we'll not know if the right thing was done until we know what happens next.

If we kick on from here, then the right thing was done because AVB clearly was not getting enough from the players he had.

If we regress from here, then we know that it was the wrong decision, that AVB should have been given time to complete the project and that any short-term judgement made on the long-term plan was misjudged.

If we had someone lined up, the decision would have been understandable, not everyone would have agreed, but they'd of understood.

However Sherwood has NO experience and I really just don't get the logic.

If we had someone lined up, the decision would have been understandable, not everyone would have agreed, but they'd of understood.

However Sherwood has NO experience and I really just don't get the logic.
If you had a ship with a pissed up captain in charge - would you leave him in charge until you found a new captain - or hand the job over to the next in the chain of command?

For my money, we'll not know if the right thing was done until we know what happens next.

If we kick on from here, then the right thing was done because AVB clearly was not getting enough from the players he had.

If we regress from here, then we know that it was the wrong decision, that AVB should have been given time to complete the project and that any short-term judgement made on the long-term plan was misjudged.
aaarghhh
I hate the fallacy that running a football team is a project - that is citeh babblespeak
sorry, but its terminology that doesn't fit into a sporting context
IMHO

With everything that goes balls up, a retrospective has to be conducted to identify what went wrong and if the right decisions were made and most importantly what can be done to try and avoid or minimise this occurring again. Until one is in possession of all the facts, all people can do is reflect and debate what may have happened or gloss over it and move on. (as you are advocating Mick) If Levy or AVB (or others) chose to reveal this in the future who knows? I just get pissed off that these people think that all they need to do is feed the fans bullshit and leave them in the dark and things will be alright. Glossing over stuff is not a healthy thing in the long run, it alienates people against each-other as it is doing here.
I don't really see the issue
The results were beginning to suck, when teams like Hull and West Ham have your tactics sussed, then the manager is busted.
Who needs an autopsy to work that out?

aaarghhh
I hate the fallacy that running a football team is a project - that is citeh babblespeak
sorry, but its terminology that doesn't fit into a sporting context
IMHO

If it was just the case of running a team, I would agree. Changing the footballing philosophy of a club from the youth team upward, and integrating several new signings...is a project.

If you had a ship with a pissed up captain in charge - would you leave him in charge until you found a new captain - or hand the job over to the next in the chain of command?

A pissed up captain would probably sink the ship..our ship wasn't sinking, we were just struggling to get out of port.

Could be that we have had a pissed up chairman all along!!

Levy has his plus points...he certainly has his negatives too. I do find it strange however that a man who in the transfer market is patient and willing to play the waiting game to the point of no return, cannot have the same patience with the managers he employs.

A pissed up captain would probably sink the ship..our ship wasn't sinking, we were just struggling to get out of port.
I guess that's why we will disagree then, I really thought we were rudderless and with a crew that looked as if it were on the verge of mutiny.
If it was just the case of running a team, I would agree. Changing the footballing philosophy of a club from the youth team upward, and integrating several new signings...is a project.
Again, whilst you see it that way, my impression was more of someone out of his depth taking us nowhere fast.
What did you see that made you believe he was accomplishing things?

Levy has his plus points...he certainly has his negatives too. I do find it strange however that a man who in the transfer market is patient and willing to play the waiting game to the point of no return, cannot have the same patience with the managers he employs.
I agree, would like to know how much freedom of movement AVB had, did he get the players he wanted or was it Levy and co who just decided one day they did not like the "cut of his jib".

I guess that's why we will disagree then, I really thought we were rudderless and with a crew that looked as if it were on the verge of mutiny.

Again, whilst you see it that way, my impression was more of someone out of his depth taking us nowhere fast.
What did you see that made you believe he was accomplishing things?
Until people know exactly what went on Mick its all speculative, but AVB has won silverware whereas Arry won fuck all, despite his 'extensive' managerial experience. On the face of it, it could have been fairer to let AVB continue longer, but maybe he pulled the pin and told Levy to get fucked who knows?

Back
Top Bottom