Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You either think he can be the guy or you don't IMO. If we are worried about what is going to be available in October then we are playing the wrong game. You have to let a manager go through the growing pains. We would have fired Arteta 2 years ago when they started 0-3 and then wonder why we are stuck on the same cycle. I don't know if Ange is the guy or not. I think he can be, but people who act like they know he isn't are dumb. He hasn't gone through anything that EVERY top manager hasn't gone through. This is part of the process. It's mind-boggling how incapable some fans are of actually going through the pains. EVERY single fan would have deemed 5th as a success in the preseason. I'm as disappointed in the results and recent performances as any, but you can't skip this part. We have to give him 2 full seasons to work through this or we will never have success.
Yes. Every top manager has gone through growing pains in the early stages of a new club and patience during that period is needed. However, I think nearly all fans that are concerned would be willing to go through rough periods if there were even any small signs that there is good work being done. I don't remember Klopp at Liverpool or Pochettino with us going 6 months without a good 90 minute perfomance apart from Villa away (and I'm being kind by calling the WHOLE 90 good). I don't remember Klopp and Pochettino reeling off 4 consecutive defeats where they didn't even compete in any of them (these mad late flurries in the last ten minutes doesn't count as competing).

Yes, Arteta rode his way through a really prolonged period of shit, but he's one of the only examples of that I can think of in my lifetime. For every Arteta who came throught it, there's 50 others that had no chance of turning it around, so he's just not a template to follow.

And even if i felt he was the right manager (because I don't know how I feel right now). Dream on if you're thinking he can get 2 full seasons no matter what happens. Arteta benefited from there being no fans in the ground. They'd have forced him out had they been in there. Some of our matchgoing fans are already getting restless. Much more of this and we might not be too far off of a repeat of Nuno's last game vs Man Utd.

But.. I do really agree with your point that we can't have any half measures. We need to be all in with him or not at all.

It's amazing how two competent touchline wingers, and more technically astute midfielders (and a better defensive 6) would essentially see us resolving all of Ange's issues in one go.

Surely we're not above giving the man one extra season with three excellent buys? We got VdV with an eye to his system - are we upset that we did if he leaves?
I thought Levy did ok in January, first time I felt like that in many years . However it is apparent our summer needs are going to be massive , do I believe he will do the necessary? Absolutely not .
Fully expect the usual claptrap on here about not having patience for a rebuild . I could have single handedly rebuilt the Great Wall Of China twice in the time Levy has been in charge

I'm one of the Ange out, the reason for this is
he says set pieces arn't important -- they are and he has had lots of free midweeks where he could have worked on defending/attacking set plays
he only plays one way --- no change to 3 at the back, or 4 man midfield, NO change in formation when we don't have richy as CF (Son has never been a CF, he is good at running or cutting in from left, but NOT a CF)
he won't look at other seasons video's to see what is players natural way of playing, so he can put them in right position (see above re-Son)

for those that have watched the Video re- "why its going wrong"
he suggests that the opponents are defending between the sides of the penatly
So even if we had top draw wingers why would the defenders come out to mark them ?
also we would need a CF that is king of 6yd box to put in crosses or midfielders good at hitting shots from edge of box

It's amazing how two competent touchline wingers, and more technically astute midfielders (and a better defensive 6) would essentially see us resolving all of Ange's issues in one go.

Surely we're not above giving the man one extra season with three excellent buys? We got VdV with an eye to his system - are we upset that we did if he leaves?

It's not about the wingers. Players lpse fprm. It's how you overcome the fragility within the team.

More than bloody wingers, we need an out anc out striker and a proper central midfielder, the quality of which we have not had since the imperious Dembele.

I have my doubts and the last few months (especially the last 5 games) have been pretty galling but fuck me - some of the chat from our fans is mental, we can't be sacking the guy now and changing Manager AGAIN within one season.
Absolutely up for him playing another season with hopefully better tools on the pitch - it really does come down to who we recruit and sell this summer IMO.
Hes trying to completely change the football after the everyone defend and counter shite we have been subjected to now for years and its only been a 30 something games - new players, young squad and some declining or unsuitable players who need to go.

Conte and Mourinho knew what they were doing? Two negative, incendiary chequebook cunts who should never have been at Spurs. Short memories of how crap it has been the last 4 years lads.

We need to sack Big Ange, let’s get Big Sam in, he will keep us up, real men’s football.

I wouldn't get rid of Ange yet, I want to see him get more of a chance to turn things round.

If we do get rid I think De Zerbi or Iraola are the obvious shouts from within the PL. Maybe Marco Silva. Will defer to others on the Bundesliga/La Liga. I'm less hot on Potter tbh, could be Ange all over again.

Good, because that would be ridiculous.

Also, we're in a european spot. It's not about 'turning things around'. It's about building upon the foundations he's been laying this season, being ruthless in the transfer market in terms of selling (and upgrading), and getting his tactics implemented correctly over pre-season.

We absolutely do not need to get rid, so I don't want to hear any more shite from any cunt talking about replacement managers.

(P.S Anyone who disagrees with this post isn't a spurs fan. Fact, not opinion).

(P.P.S You're blocked John Thomas & friends, so don't even think of involving yourself in my business, boys.)

good call, 100% record as England manager, better than Ange management of Australia (45%)

The numbers speak for themselves

Passion, commitment, brown envelopes.

Big Sam for Spurs

Premier League Sam GIF by Play Sports

Sam Allardyce England GIF

Just watched this.

Was very good. As usual with that guy.

Just so I can work out what kind of people we were dealing with in the Ange Out crowd:

How many of you really think the Premier League is the only place in the world with the master tacticians that came up with the idea of a deep narrow block in their own third and jump pressuring in the attacking third?

You guys REALLY think that this is the first time in any PROFESSIONAL league anywhere in the world that Ange has seen teams try this against his system?

The level of athleticism the players have in the Prem to execute this tactic is undoubtedly higher but also so is the relative level of player Ange can sign to beat it.

End of the video Adam Clery says that we can all see that these issues can be fixed with transfer windows and time learning how to adjust the system against different tactics. It’s not about Ange knowing the way to adjust to each counter tactic, it’s about the team having experience and individual capacity to adjust to each counter tactic. That takes time and transfer windows.

I'm one of the Ange out, the reason for this is
he says set pieces arn't important
-- they are and he has had lots of free midweeks where he could have worked on defending/attacking set plays
he only plays one way --- no change to 3 at the back, or 4 man midfield, NO change in formation when we don't have richy as CF (Son has never been a CF, he is good at running or cutting in from left, but NOT a CF)
he won't look at other seasons video's to see what is players natural way of playing, so he can put them in right position (see above re-Son)

He didn’t say that. He said he knows the reason for them going wrong but has other more pressing areas to deal with first. I want him to address them obviously but it’s obvious that we need to be working harder attacking as a team and defending as one too. I suspect he wants us to keep the ball better and in the opposition’s half. Do that and it minimises defensive set pieces straight away.

Back
Top Bottom