West Ham v Tottenham Hotspur | Premier League | Tues 2nd April | 8:15pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s the modern day game now. It’s like chess. Gone are the days when teams went toe to toe with each other. That’s why I still think the 80s was the best time for football. I think the class,guile and off the cuff stuff is gone for good. The game will evolve again and different formations will become popular again but those things I mentioned are gone or will be few and far between.

Managers like Pep and tactics like tikka taka have fucked the beautiful game up!

If that's the case then why aren't Man Utd winning the league season in season out?
I don't understand what you're getting at here?

They don't win the league because they have a squad full of overpaid players living off former glories, with a mixture of poor attitude, declining abilities, poor management on and off field, and mainly because there are a number of teams better than them.

They do have a number of factors that should allow their fans to expect better than they are seeing right now though.

What should have happened, was the totally invisible Werner, who seemed scared of the touching the ball comes off, Son on the left and Richie through the middle. That should have happened shortly after, if not at HT.

Not sure why we waited until the 70th minute to make changes and got it wrong.

Yes agree with that and again it was similar to Poch who also waited too long to introduce Subs after Plan A wasn’t working!

I can't put my finger on what exactly is the problem, but I'd be inclined to feel that it's something to do with attitude if pressed, I don't know what needs to happen for it to be rectified...

But it's frustrating.

I think - more broadly than pondering why didn't X or Y result happen - this is fair enough..... I think most can relate to this part; cos as per your breakdown, the squad isn't shit and the manager seems competent.

Maybe the much fabled winning mentality is the hardest part of the puzzle to crack; but I'm absolutely not prepared to concede defeat on that front....... There's zero excuse not to be suitably motivated; especially as the players all say how much they love Ange.

The funny thing about Harry's total lack of actual tactics, was that the players could probably decide what to do themselves and go with it. With the squad we have now, a late 00's Redknapp would do well.

Snicker is a chocolate bar. You probably want to snigger.

On the occasion it works and we draw the teams out, what do we do?
Yep, 57 passes allowing them to get back into shape.
There is no way, no way at all the players are doing that game after game after game against orders. No way,
Of course we need to look at ourselves and improve our decisions. Ange said as much last night.

Sometimes though, (not all the time), sometimes you have to just say that the lesser team did their homework, caught the superior team on a day when we weren't quite on it and stole some points.

Woolwich are getting praised for their performance Sunday and they were an awful watch. As the lesser team they picked that gameplan and it won them a point on the day. It happens.

Yes agree with that and again it was similar to Poch who also waited too long to introduce Subs after Plan A wasn’t working!
The only hope, is that after Poch's underwhelimg first season, we suddenly kicked up 2 notches.

The only worry, is that I always felt that was playing staff more than the coaching. Having the starting 11 we had was like a fucking cheat code quite frankly and it should have won things. Plural.

Of course we need to look at ourselves and improve our decisions. Ange said as much last night.

Sometimes though, (not all the time), sometimes you have to just say that the lesser team did their homework, caught the superior team on a day when we weren't quite on it and stole some points.

Woolwich are getting praised for their performance Sunday and they were an awful watch. As the lesser team they picked that gameplan and it won them a point on the day. It happens.

It was a shite game on Sunday

Top of the table clash my arse

That’s the modern day game now. It’s like chess. Gone are the days when teams went toe to toe with each other. That’s why I still think the 80s was the best time for football. I think the class,guile and off the cuff stuff is gone for good. The game will evolve again and different formations will become popular again but those things I mentioned are gone or will be few and far between.
I have a 1550 rating at Chess which is like middling club player and even I can tell you that what we saw last night wasn't Chess.

Waste ham basically parked a bus and waited for a set piece while pumping it long to Bowen and Antonio who ran their granny's out all night.

Pretty similar to what Woolwich did at Man City the other day.

Football isn't as complicated as we try and make out, if we could defend set pieces and actually turn up and give 100% every single week we would be about 10-15 points better off. Sadly we struggle with the former and lack the mentality and desire to do the latter.
I often argue the latter is cultural and stems from the lack of ambition at the top.

This is not even about the result tbh. I actually expected to get beaten by a wounded West Ham last night.
Even when we win it's boring.

It was boring Vs Luton. Boring for 75 minutes vs Palace. Boring for 45 minutes against Villa even.

If this is the default style and we carry on with it, even good teams will see it as easy enough to beat us by just packing out the penalty area and then expose our weak defense, Why wouldn't they? We spend a week planning to go at us full throttle when they could just as easily open us up like a tin of beans from our own attacks.

I don't understand what you're getting at here?

They don't win the league because they have a squad full of overpaid players living off former glories, with a mixture of poor attitude, declining abilities, poor management on and off field, and mainly because there are a number of teams better than them.

They do have a number of factors that should allow their fans to expect better than they are seeing right now though.

Ironically, I think the main thing stopping Man U sinking to a level more fitting for how shit they've been under ETH & OGS is that they're continuing to reap the benefits of the last remnants of their old 'winning culture'...........

There's such a big parallel between them now and post 80s-dominance Liverpool....... If they don't find the right formula soon 6-8th each season will become the norm.

Exactly this. Too many ‘not quite’ good enough or who we hope might come good/have potential. Werner particularly for me tonight is a shining (or not so)example of this. He show’s quality, can beat a man, gets in good positions and then when a decent cross comes in at the far post, he’s not expecting it at all. Could’ve had at least another two goals tonight with proper quality in his position.

I mentioned during the match that had he thrown himself at a couple of crosses that came his way he could have scored at least one of them but he just doesn’t have a striker’s instinct

He has pace
Full stop

I think - more broadly than pondering why didn't X or Y result happen - this is fair enough..... I think most can relate to this part; cos as per your breakdown, the squad isn't shit and the manager seems competent.

Maybe the much fabled winning mentality is the hardest part of the puzzle to crack; but I'm absolutely not prepared to concede defeat on that front....... There's zero excuse not to be suitably motivated; especially as the players all say how much they love Ange.
Personally, I'm not so fussed about results as such, I'm bothered about what I'm spending 2 hours of my week watching for "entertainment".

My run through of the games, one of the few that I had down as enjoyed was the Villa defeat at home, because I liked what I saw for a lot of it, I could come away from that despite the result and think we are going somewhere. If I'm coming away from a win thinking that was lucky, and not seeing anything that gives me confidence going into the next game, then I find that less enjoyable. And that's how I've felt about more and more of our games as the season has gone on, despite taking the points in quite a few of them.

If we'd have nicked a winner last night, I wouldn't be any more satisfied this morning than I am now, because the performance did nothing to make me think this team was on the right track, and because I'd been bored shitless by it.

On a broader note though, and not exactly in line with what I've just said, 1 point from 4 games against Wolves and West Ham this season is not acceptable in the slightest for any side serious about doing anything of note.

I think we have one in BJ on the right but Timo isn’t the answer and Sonny isn’t going to improve and was poor last night I thought

Brennan could join the list for sure but still a fair amount of development to go. Werner is a depth piece for sure but never a starter for the level we are aiming for.

Son doesn't need to improve, he needs chances to finish or to go and the ball and have a fucking crack. He's the best 2 footed shooter I can remember at Spurs, be a leader and go and fucking score. Smash one from 25 yards, we know he can do it.

How does Ange improve the team next season in your opinion?

Learn to defend.
Learn to take advantage of space by playing quick, incisive football when the chance arises.
Learn to rotate the squad. Especially in cup games. You don't make 9-10 changes in one go. Likewise, you don't stick to the same 11 game after game.
Learn to make changes to both tactics and players in game at an appropriate time.
Sign a CM that can control a game.
Long term successor to Son and ease that player into regular football. I can't see Son sustaining his best football for more than a year or 2.

There's a lot of work to do.

No,

It is boring.

And you will get there too, eventually.

I actually prefer quick, counter attacking football to this fucking shite.
Give me Jolball or Harryball.
How do you counter attack when your opponent isn't attacking in the first place.

End of the day, it doesn't matter which style you play as long as you play it well and that doesn't happen over night. Can't just stay addicted to the hit of new manager bounce everytime with the system changing and the football feeling fresh and new. We have to stick to something and fucking master it.

Took Klopp 3 years to win a trophy and they were comparably inconsistent in his first season or 2.

Personally, I'm not so fussed about results as such, I'm bothered about what I'm spending 2 hours of my week watching for "entertainment".

My run through of the games, one of the few that I had down as enjoyed was the Villa defeat at home, because I liked what I saw for a lot of it, I could come away from that despite the result and think we are going somewhere. If I'm coming away from a win thinking that was lucky, and not seeing anything that gives me confidence going into the next game, then I find that less enjoyable. And that's how I've felt about more and more of our games as the season has gone on, despite taking the points in quite a few of them.

If we'd have nicked a winner last night, I wouldn't be any more satisfied this morning than I am now, because the performance did nothing to make me think this team was on the right track, and because I'd been bored shitless by it.

On a broader note though, and not exactly in line with what I've just said, 1 point from 4 games against Wolves and West Ham this season is not acceptable in the slightest for any side serious about doing anything of note.
Honestly, I think some fans totally forget the shite we play if we win.
The best example is Wolves away. Had we won that game, fans on here would have gone up another level in the cult of Ange. We were fucking shocking and didn't deserve to win that at all. But right up until they equalized and scored in injury time, the commentators and fans on here were all lauding the performance.

Some may recall that I posted on about 82 minutes that this had loss written all over it. It wasn't just a silly comment, I could see it coming. I think we got away with a point last night tbh.

Learn to defend.
Learn to take advantage of space by playing quick, incisive football when the chance arises.
Learn to rotate the squad. Especially in cup games. You don't make 9-10 changes in one go. Likewise, you don't stick to the same 11 game after game.
Learn to make changes to both tactics and players in game at an appropriate time.
Sign a CM that can control a game.
Long term successor to Son and ease that player into regular football. I can't see Son sustaining his best football for more than a year or 2.

There's a lot of work to do.
I'm surprised we haven't learnt most of that already.

Do you think we need a £100m midfielder to control games?

It's just that Ange has already stated that he'd rather spend £100m on two £50m players.

Back
Top Bottom