Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re Richarlison…..

Guy has been in great form and it would be very harsh on him to be dropped, but if I look at our form over the last 10 games or so (where he has played CF) we been an easier team to press against and have struggled to play through opposition presses as effectively as we did in the first 10 games of the season.

Much of that of course is because of various absences, perhaps most notably Bissouma who is our most “press resistant” midfielder, but I also think a big part of that is Richy’s lack of real pace which allows the opposition to step up and press more aggressively knowing there isn’t really a threat behind from the CF.

If you look at that first set of games, we were excellent against any side that pressed because of our transition attack and we seemed to struggle more with the mid/low block.

Wolves will press high, and with a lack of real pace at CB position I like Son through the middle for this game.

Again I appreciate this would be harsh on Richarlison and I don’t really expect Ange to make this change, but I think it offers a more dynamic tactical option against a team like Wolves (as it would have Brighton).

I am getting fed up reading comments pre match about easy wins which turn out to be nothing of the sort. Wolves were the last PL team we failed to score against last March and beat us at home, This. like Brighton will not be easy and we need to get playing like early season. I expect a tight match with us getting a close win like Brighton. Hopefully not leaving the winner as late. A further weeks training into those still recovering from injuries will see an improved performance. Even a win could see us drop out of the top 4 before we play again with the Chelsea match PP the week after.

Negative Nancy mentality.

We should all expect a 7-1 win as a man once predicted. A lot.

Re Richarlison…..

Guy has been in great form and it would be very harsh on him to be dropped, but if I look at our form over the last 10 games or so (where he has played CF) we been an easier team to press against and have struggled to play through opposition presses as effectively as we did in the first 10 games of the season.

Much of that of course is because of various absences, perhaps most notably Bissouma who is our most “press resistant” midfielder, but I also think a big part of that is Richy’s lack of real pace which allows the opposition to step up and press more aggressively knowing there isn’t really a threat behind from the CF.

If you look at that first set of games, we were excellent against any side that pressed because of our transition attack and we seemed to struggle more with the mid/low block.

Wolves will press high, and with a lack of real pace at CB position I like Son through the middle for this game.

Again I appreciate this would be harsh on Richarlison and I don’t really expect Ange to make this change, but I think it offers a more dynamic tactical option against a team like Wolves (as it would have Brighton).

What?

Richarlison started 7 of our opening 10 games and in one of the games he didn't start, we dropped points...

He then didn't start the next 5 and our record was:

0 wins
1 draw
4 losses

And since he's returned back to the team we've lost just 1 game in 9...

Richy has started 16 games for us in the league and we've lost just 1 game... He starts this.

Re Richarlison…..

Why is pace through the middle any more of a threat than pace coming into the middle from the flanks?

Your post really just reads that you don’t rate Richy so you want an excuse to drop him

Re Richarlison…..

Fair point and not thought of that…. Richys improved form mean he’s still our best left attacker other than Son so u could still start him. Inwould take him all day long over Werner

What?

Richarlison started 7 of our opening 10 games and in one of the games he didn't start, we dropped points...

He then didn't start the next 5 and our record was:

0 wins
1 draw
4 losses

And since he's returned back to the team we've lost just 1 game in 9...

Richy has started 16 games for us in the league and we've lost just 1 game... He starts this.
During those 1 in 9 recently we’ve not looked as dangerous and not played as well. I think it’s a fair point for debate

As we are now thoroughly safe from the drop (so long as the PL doesn't sstart docking us points), and the band is back together after injuries, suspensions and international competitions...I'm going 7-2 win
FFS you trying to jinx us or what?!

We are not safe until the numbers say we are!

People really getting ahead of themselves considering we were one of the favourites for relegation at the start of the season.

One must win game at a time please.

Why is pace through the middle any more of a threat than pace coming into the middle from the flanks?

Your post really just reads that you don’t rate Richy so you want an excuse to drop him
That’s not what he’s saying mate. He’s saying that teams can press us more aggressively because the centre backs can go really high as richy doesn’t offer a threat of real pace in behind. If Sonny plays centrally their centre backs will be a bit deeper and the gaps between the oppositions defence and midfield are bigger so it’s easier for us to break the press. It makes sense to go with sonny centrally.

For the record I would not take Richy out of the central spot because 9 in 9 is very good and he’s offering more than that as well. Yes he gives the ball away with slack passing lay offs at times but his all round game is a lot better than it was early in the season. He is contributing positively in every game he plays so he must start at centre forward.

During those 1 in 9 recently we’ve not looked as dangerous and not played as well. I think it’s a fair point for debate

Nothing to with the numerous absentees we've had at all of course.

Richarlison and the way we've played isn't a fair point for debate. Because he played when we WERE playing well and looking dangerous.

Bissouma missing is much more of a debate. Just as is missing Maddison, Sarr and Bissouma as a midfield three over those 9 games, which we haven't had...

Richarlison and the way we've played isn't a fair point for debate. Because he played when we WERE playing well and looking dangerous.

Bissouma missing is much more of a debate. Just as is missing Maddison, Sarr and Bissouma as a midfield three over those 9 games, which we haven't had...
The constant changing of the midfield has been the main reason we haven’t had any real dominant games. Yes we’ve had more possession in most games but when we had Biss sitting,Sarr bombing around the pitch and maddders dropping into those inside left positions that’s when we were at our best and teams couldn’t handle us. That’s the 3 I would start against Wolves.

The constant changing of the midfield has been the main reason we haven’t had any real dominant games. Yes we’ve had more possession in most games but when we had Biss sitting,Sarr bombing around the pitch and maddders dropping into those inside left positions that’s when we were at our best and teams couldn’t handle us. That’s the 3 I would start against Wolves.

100%

Richarlison is the least of our worries when it comes to our difference in play since the beginning of the season. Considering he was starting those anyway.

It's the midfield three we've missed. We've finally got our back four back. Now lets get that midfield 3 back and start playing Ange Ball for the first time in months

That’s not what he’s saying mate. He’s saying that teams can press us more aggressively because the centre backs can go really high as richy doesn’t offer a threat of real pace in behind. If Sonny plays centrally their centre backs will be a bit deeper and the gaps between the oppositions defence and midfield are bigger so it’s easier for us to break the press. It makes sense to go with sonny centrally.

For the record I would not take Richy out of the central spot because 9 in 9 is very good and he’s offering more than that as well. Yes he gives the ball away with slack passing lay offs at times but his all round game is a lot better than it was early in the season. He is contributing positively in every game he plays so he must start at centre forward.

I get that but a high line isn’t just the CBs it’s the FBs too no?

Surely Johnson and Sonny can and have punished high lines from wide as well?

Need to win our second penalty again soon? Surely

Will be at home so Wolves should get away with less GBH as well. Dawson literally slapped Son to the floor last time. We also had a shocking back 4.

I get that but a high line isn’t just the CBs it’s the FBs too no?

Surely Johnson and Sonny can and have punished high lines from wide as well?
If we are playing out from the back our wide players are not on the half way line so the opposition full backs can play higher. When someone like Richy who will be our furthest forward player it’s easier for the centre backs if they are quick to play even 5/10 yards in their own half if they are brave enough.

If you get the chance watch Romero and VDV and where they are when we go pressing when the opposition try play out. They are not worried about anything in behind because they know (especially VDV) they can recover if it gets smashed over their heads from really deep. And we also have a keeper that plays high too. Its a very brave way to play.

Poch used to do it with Toby and Jan when we were at our best under him. When our performances under him started to wane a big part of that was because they weren’t as quick and couldn’t cover the ground if it was played in behind.

All factors IMO - you also forgot the Cb’s!

c7f2a582934476d2ba0cbde741f86077.jpg

I know 1981 had it's own separate safety issues at Hillsborough, (which never really came to light for another 8 years, 'cos it happened to Spurs, not Liverpool...)

But aside from that, my abiding memory of that semi final as a 9-year old watching on TV was this image of Archibald toe poking in this goal...

I thought that was how ALL goals should be scored...

Then I saw Ricky Villa do his thing in the FA Cup Final replay...
and then I realised THAT was how ALL goals should be scored from then on!

Saturday, 3pm...
Tottenham v Wolves.

ALL WHITE kit...

Can't fucking wait.

Feel like Wolves are our bogey team. I'll be nervous for this one
Styles make fights and their style is tough for us to deal with for some reason.

Also think they have a few really good players who are inconsistent and probably raise it vs bigger teams eg us but can’t do so every week eg Brentford

Back
Top Bottom