Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re Richarlison…..

Guy has been in great form and it would be very harsh on him to be dropped, but if I look at our form over the last 10 games or so (where he has played CF) we been an easier team to press against and have struggled to play through opposition presses as effectively as we did in the first 10 games of the season.

Much of that of course is because of various absences, perhaps most notably Bissouma who is our most “press resistant” midfielder, but I also think a big part of that is Richy’s lack of real pace which allows the opposition to step up and press more aggressively knowing there isn’t really a threat behind from the CF.

If you look at that first set of games, we were excellent against any side that pressed because of our transition attack and we seemed to struggle more with the mid/low block.

Wolves will press high, and with a lack of real pace at CB position I like Son through the middle for this game.

Again I appreciate this would be harsh on Richarlison and I don’t really expect Ange to make this change, but I think it offers a more dynamic tactical option against a team like Wolves (as it would have Brighton).

Such an obvious thing but people have blind spots for Richy because of sentiment and his comeback story, it's incredible lol

Then you won't have a LW on the bench, unless you want to have Gil there instead of Johnson or Kulu.
Move timo to left if necessary after? That’s assuming son has to come off is subbed. Anyways why can’t deki play left his got a left which he never uses anyways to cross or shoot.

I mean that’s a really silly point.

Most full backs are quick to combat pacey wide players.

Most CBs aren’t as quick / nimble, and they also dictate the height of the defensive line. It’s clear they’re going to be more worried about Son as a CF than Richarlison when deciding to play high or not.

I think it’s horses for courses between the 2, but when playing a potential high pressing team I think it’s advantageous for us to play with Son through the middle.

The “you don’t like Richy” argument is childish and unnecessary. If you don’t agree refute the tactical point I’ve made, pointless just resulting to that.
What diff does it make of son play wide or in the middle? His pace is still there so defenders will be wary regardless.

It takes longer to run towards goal from the wide positions then the central areas.
It’s not necessarily about running towards goal though is it. It’s about getting behind on the flans like teams do to us. Go down the wide areas and your in to square the ball back. Like the winner on Saturday.

It’s not necessarily about running towards goal though is it. It’s about getting behind on the flans like teams do to us. Go down the wide areas and your in to square the ball back. Like the winner on Saturday.

It kinda is though, pace in behind CB's is more dangerous than pace in behind full backs.

If you have a striker who specializes on playing off the shoulder and stretch defences then it makes more sense playing him in the central areas.

Move timo to left if necessary after? That’s assuming son has to come off is subbed. Anyways why can’t deki play left his got a left which he never uses anyways to cross or shoot.
You still won't have a LW on the bench. There's a difference between subbing on a fresh player and moving around a player who already sprinted for 70 minutes.

Richy shouldn't be dropped. He's playing with so much confidence and he's so effective with his press from the front whole game. I'll start Son and Werner to keep the running at wide areas and put those balls in. Werner despite not scoring yet had been at least positive in his runs that Kulu and Johnson haven't been able to do so consistently.

I just don't understand why Son and Richy couldn't interchange their position every now and then. It shouldn't be so set in stone that Richy is forward and Son is attacking winger or vice versa. Although if Son is put in the forward role with Richy on LF, I'll start Kulu on the right ahead of Werner.

All in all we have some good problems to have.

BYVRz3v.jpeg

Forster, Emerson, Davies, Dragusin, Skipp, Bentancur, Lo Celso, Kulusevski, Johnson

CB sets the defensive line. They’re going to be more worried about what comes through the middle.

Plus full backs are generally quicker than CBs. To contextualise this, for Wolves the difference would be Son playing on the shoulder of Samedo or Dawson.

I feel pretty sure Dawson doesn’t want Son making runs in behind him if he’s being asked to play a high line to squeeze the pitch.

I’m not precious about this and I get how harsh it would be to take Richy out the starting CF spot right now. But if I look at the weekend I’m pretty certain Dunk and Van Hecke aren’t as aggressive with their defensive line if they’re worried about Son in behind.
What diff does it make of son play wide or in the middle? His pace is still there so defenders will be wary regardless.

Such an obvious thing but people have blind spots for Richy because of sentiment and his comeback story, it's incredible lol
...and the 9 goals in 8 games only adds to the 'sentimental blindness' ...I guess I'm just mushy!

Richy shouldn't be dropped. He's playing with so much confidence and he's so effective with his press from the front whole game. I'll start Son and Werner to keep the running at wide areas and put those balls in. Werner despite not scoring yet had been at least positive in his runs that Kulu and Johnson haven't been able to do so consistently.
I just don't understand why Son and Richy couldn't interchange their position every now and then. It shouldn't be so set in stone that Richy is forward and Son is attacking winger or vice versa. Although if Son is put in the forward role with Richy on LF, I'll start Kulu on the right ahead of Werner.

All in all we have some good problems to have.
Agree... Plus I think that's why Ange prefers versatile players, (be it in the attacking third, midfield, or wing back) so that they CAN be fluid. and interchange at certain times throughout a game, and as such, be harder to pick up...

I think that's one of the vital components of 'Angeball'

...and the 9 goals in 8 games only adds to the 'sentimental blindness' ...I guess I'm just mushy!

Agree... Plus I think that's why Ange prefers versatile players, (be it in the attacking third, midfield, or wing back) so that they CAN be fluid. and interchange at certain times throughout a game, and as such, be harder to pick up...

I think that's one of the vital components of 'Angeball'

Quoting hod goals and his current form misses the point, his overall play just isn't good enough and can be improved on

I am fairly confident he is not going to move Richy from the 9. A couple of games before Son left Ange moved Sonny back wide and stated he did so because he wanted more goals from wide areas and son is our best finisher.

Besides, we aren’t playing exactly the same way as we did at the start of the season. That’s just because of the obvious reasons of injury and form.

Whilst I think kulusevski was disappointing on Saturday I think he will start Son Richy Kulusevski. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if after 60/70 minutes we have a forward line of Werner Son Johnson.

Either way, it’s nice to have some options at last even if there are questions over its actual quality.

CB sets the defensive line. They’re going to be more worried about what comes through the middle.

Plus full backs are generally quicker than CBs. To contextualise this, for Wolves the difference would be Son playing on the shoulder of Samedo or Dawson.

I feel pretty sure Dawson doesn’t want Son making runs in behind him if he’s being asked to play a high line to squeeze the pitch.

I’m not precious about this and I get how harsh it would be to take Richy out the starting CF spot right now. But if I look at the weekend I’m pretty certain Dunk and Van Hecke aren’t as aggressive with their defensive line if they’re worried about Son in behind.

Van Hecke was chasing Maddison around and that’s how we created the winner, with Richy at CF.

Not many teams really play an offside trap that much. Villa is the only team I can think of right now where a CF with extra pace to beat the trap makes that much difference.

Right now we have Son scoring and assisting LWF and Richy scoring at CF. It would be madness to trade that for just the possibility of Son beating an offside trap.

Van Hecke was chasing Maddison around and that’s how we created the winner, with Richy at CF.

Not many teams really play an offside trap that much. Villa is the only team I can think of right now where a CF with extra pace to beat the trap makes that much difference.

Right now we have Son scoring and assisting LWF and Richy scoring at CF. It would be madness to trade that for just the possibility of Son beating an offside trap.

Son playing as a striker isn't just about beating the offside trap lol

Pacy forwards keep CB's guessing, they stretch defences which leaves space for the likes of Maddison/Udogie/Porro, what's more playing in the centre means you're more in the game so therefore if you're being marked tight it gives space to other players around the same area (Vast majority of our play goes through the middle)

I bet you that Brighton would have found it more difficult to press us if Son was playing because Van Hecke wouldn't dare have the confidence to leave Dunk 1on1 with Son, he could take liberties with Richy because that's not his game.

Anyway have always said that Son should be playing against teams that defends high up the pitch because CB's need to think about what's in behind them, Richy just doesn't offer the same threat he's more suited to low blocks.

Back
Top Bottom