January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not a huge fan of loans. In recent times they haven’t served us well (with one obvious exception). But hopefully Veliz bags a few.
I assume you are referring to Kane, but Udogie and Sarr stayed put on loan. Skipp had a great loan spell @ Norwich and all of Ndombele's loans should be counted as successful because it means he wasn't here.

Probably a good move all round - providing there are assurances he gets playing time.

With Son, Richarlison, Werner, Johnson . Solomon and Kukusevski, playing time would be restricted at Spurs.

The few minutes he might have got will now be shared between Scarlett (who Ange seemed to like in pre-season) and Donley who has now had a few appearances with up to 15 mins/appearance and maybe Santiago who has now been on bench quite a few times.

I imagine Gil will be out on loan for similar reasons

Timo had a great game yesterday, I will be very happy if he maintains his form and gets a contract.
For me we don't have a squad that can compete in 4 competitions and Ange backs that up. Before January he said we need two more windows, in the pre Brentford conference ,he still says we have a long before we can compete in 4 competitions. It's unlikely that by the end of the summer window we'll have a squad to compete in 4 competitions. I just thought with this new set up we'd be able to push on and make a few more signings, which would mean less burden in the summer.

But... we are talking about January 2024 transfer window here. After which we play 1 competition and 16 games... until next transfer window. In fact we are rightly working on decreasing our squad (Veliz and Gil to loan when they cannot get minutes for us anyway) with so few games remaining.

I honestly believe we wanted to do more (PEH out, new midfielder in) this window, but you have to look at the context. Very minimal activity all around the Europe and Saudi league. But in this very limited situation we still brought in two first-team members. Which is, again, more than all our domestic competitors have done COMBINED.

Sure, always could have done better here and there. But 2 or 3 on 10 point scale does not translate to "less than ideal". It is more like "almost complete failure", which is absolutely off the mark. I'd say that it was solid 7 if not weak 8.

P.S thanks for honest reply and explanation of your view. We might not agree, but always better to understand where other posters are coming from (instead of cunt-offs) :angehug:

Timo had a great game yesterday, I will be very happy if he maintains his form and gets a contract.
For me we don't have a squad that can compete in 4 competitions and Ange backs that up. Before January he said we need two more windows, in the pre Brentford conference ,he still says we have a long before we can compete in 4 competitions. It's unlikely that by the end of the summer window we'll have a squad to compete in 4 competitions. I just thought with this new set up we'd be able to push on and make a few more signings, which would mean less burden in the summer.
As long as we start really competing in the league and the FA Cup, that'd already be a major improvement. Unless you're Dirty City, you don't all of a sudden go challenge for every comp you're in, it just don't happen overnight in 99.9% of cases.

Get 3 or 4 wise recruits in the summer, few more undesirables out the door, bit of luck with refs & injuries (will be hard not to better this season's)...and I genuinely believe we can bag the FA Cup and why not even the Europa League. Fuck me, even winning the Cacabooboo Cup and the Conference League would be a feat.

Gotta keep the faith, my brother...otherwise may as well pack it in and not watch anymore.

Sevilla don't seem to have any fit strikers. They've been playing wingers up top.

Problem is, Veliz himself isn't fully fit either is he? And once El Nesyri is fit I imagine he goes back to being their first choice striker.

It's being reported in ABC Sevilla, probably the best source for stories regarding Andalusian teams (the paper has journalists "embedded" in Sevilla and Betis for example).

They say they have confirmed it with Sevilla and reckon it's a Plan B in case they don't sign Róbert Boženík from Boavista.

Here's the link - it's in Spanish but you can run it through Google Translate. The only real new detail is what I've put above though.

Alejo Veliz, el plan B de Bozenik
Who said Bill was in Spain solely for cervezas and la playa? Man is TFC's very own La Liga mule.

Now donate, you mugs.

Our squad as of today is actually too LARGE to give as much game time to the players we have as they would like. That is why the likes of Veliz and Gil are being sent on loan.

We have 16 games left mainly playing once a week. 11 starters and up to 5 subs per game - that's the maximum once a week. And we currently have about 26 players !

So what would we do with more players now - send them on holiday ?

I'd love us to do just two more deadline day deals:

I'd love us to get Maupay and Matty Cash in on a half-season loan, and let Romero, Bentancur and Dragusin loose on them in training...

I don't mind if neither get any gametime or not... I just wanna see them in TRAINING!!

Maddison and Richie can also use Maupay's face as target practice!

Last edited:
I'd have it as a low 7. We desperately needed centre back cover and someone on the left wing that was better than Gil and probably Solomon and we've done both. Remains to be seen how they do overall but we did the neccessary. Good to get Lloris, Dier and Perisic gone 6 months early and good loans for Phillips and Devine. Could maybe have done more but we've done better than our competitors.

I do feel we are storing up some issues with a big clearout needed in the summer though. A lot to do with Requilon, Sess, Rodon, Tanganga, Spence , Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Gil maybe Solomon to be moved on. Would have been good to make some headway on that but no one has got a pot to piss in.

Last edited:
Amen!

Biggest proof of that is Newcastle.
Owned by oil-barons, team has 0 depth, many long term injuries + Tonali ban - and NOTHING. Absolutely no reinforcements.

Feels like change of motus operandi for sure.

Now we have double advantage -
1) In terms of buying younger promising players, we have good experience and brilliant track record of late (U-dog, Sarr) ; PLUS our youth teams are flying very high - we are on 100% win ratio in U21 EPL and we also top U18 EPL.
2) When others play their cards with hands tied to their back, WE actually do have FFP wiggle-room to also tap into more expensive and established players market.
Funny how some people on here were claiming just this past summer that Newcastle will overtake us because they have deep-pocketed owners. Failing to understand that you could be owned by a Musk-Bezos-Gates consortium, but it's still the money the club generates that determines how much it can spend.

imo barca is a bad choice for a 17 year old, he can always play for them down the line if its his dream
The counter argument could be that:

a. they have a history of playing talented youngsters
b. with how hamstrung they are in bringing in established players, they may have to play talented youngsters even more than before

I do feel we are storing up some issues with a big clearout needed in the summer though. A lot to do with Requilon, Sess, Rodon, Spence , Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Gil maybe Solomon to be moved on. Would have been good to make some headway on that but no one has got a pot to piss in.
I'm quite positive we'll clear a lot of our remaining deadwood out in the summer, Ange will insist we do and he'll get his way.

Was great to get rid of Hugo, Perisic and Dier this month. With Harry also gone, that's a lot saved on wages already.

Rodon will defo have suitors after his Leeds stint. If we ain't too greedy, Reggy, GLC and Bryan will get interest from Spain. I think Hoj will have a fair few teams after him too.

The tough ones will be, as usual, Sess & Japh cause of injuries, Spence cause of his attitude (but fingers crossed Genoa keep him), and of course the fat bastard.

Solomon is worth keeping round for another season. Hopefully he stays fit and can contribute off the bench. The kid has got some skills, could help us unlock tight defenses. He's on a five-year contract anyway.

Back
Top Bottom