January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, no-one gets guarantees on playing time. There might be a broad agreement that the player will get minutes, but it won't be a guarantee - no manager or club would provide that. What if he stank the place out and wasn't dropped? It's just not realistic for a relatively unproven player.
I don't think we would even ask for it, it's more likely that we would want him to be given a chance at least...

Not gonna happen but Mathys Tel is a player I'd really like Spurs to sign.

Tottenham have now tried to sign £24m striker who Harry Kane called an 'outstanding talent'

Now, Sport Bild claim that Tottenham have tried their luck again. The outlet reveals that "Spurs are flirting heavily with the Frenchman", and the North Londoners, along with Werder Bremen, asked Bayern about signing Tel on loan.

The German champions, however, rejected advances from both clubs and made it clear that he will not be leaving in the winter window.

Either way, the youngster will remain at his club until the summer, since he cannot sign a five-year contract with anyone until he turns 18, which so happens to be the day after deadline day, February 2nd.
Sweden are only 1 hour ahead at the moment so he'll be 18 at 11pm our time :ange-hands-head:
Not according to Levy time
If we fly him to Finland who are +2h, he would have his Birthday an hour earier so we can get the deal sheet in between 22:00 and 23:00, we would then have 2 hours after the deadline to complete the paperwork and fly him back for the medical but fly him back slow enough that he doesn't drop back under 18.

:paraticiwink:

Yep Ange has been phoning him regularly and whispering “mate” whilst playing ABBA songs in the background, every hour👍👍 fucking mad no🤷‍♂️
Screenshot-2024-02-01-2132550.jpg

Im thinking Kulusevski has gotten into his head with some "Bror..."-talk.

He really talks in a ghetto-swedish kind of way, sounds horrible, but it would definitely intimidate someone from a seemingly posh background like Bergvall. ( I dont actually know where Bergvall grew up, but he looks like a posh swedish youngling)
Youngling...could catch on?
Maybe not, earthling didn't.

Werner already has 3 assists and January hasn’t ended.

Dragusin has played twice and looks ready to start.

Just for the early business and impact already, has to be an 8/10 window.

He we miraculously pinch Bergvall that’s a 9
Where is everyone getting the 3 assists from? He had 1 against United and 1 yesterday. Am I missing something?

You probably move both Gil and Solomon on in the summer. Then that leaves you with:
Johnson
Son
Richarlison
Kulu
Velez
That then gives you the ability to sign 1/2 Forwards in the summer, depending whether we keep or loan Velez.

In Midfield we will move on Hojberg and Los Celso this summer which will allow us to sign 2 midfielders.

In the defence unless we sell Emerson Royale I cannot see how we can strengthen our backline.

We also have to probably move on Sess, Regulon and Ndombele getting very little money for them in the process.

Don't forget that Udogie, Sarr and Dragusin will count as over 21's next season and require to be registered in the squad - this season all 3 are i21's,

Man, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but giving this window a 2 or 3?! Come on now!

Yes, shoulda signed a CB in the summer and no excuse for that, especially as that's cost us big points. But they made up for it with Dragusin, who snubbed mighty Bayern for us. And they got Dier.

Werner flopped at Chelsea. Chelsea. I'll say it again...Chelsea. The home of dysfunction. Where 100s of big time forwards (Torres, Shevchenko, Crespo, Lukaku, Kezman...) ruined their career. Still, he put up decent numbers. As he did at RB, in one of Europe's biggest leagues. And for a major national team in die Mannschaft. You ain't a shit player if you achieve what he has to date. Nope, you're actually pretty fucking good at football. If he keeps performing like he did last night, we could well sign him permanently. He looks perfect for Angeball.

Sure, we could've done more. But when you factor it all in, it's definitely not a 2 or 3 outta 10 window. I get that you're frustrated and pissed off because of what's happened in the past, and that it's hard to now trust things gonna be different...but you still gotta be real about things, my man.

This window is more like a solid 6 or even 7.

Sooo... let me get this straight -

1) You give "2 or 3 out of 10" for window (so among 30% worst windows in context of our own track record OR against our competitors) where we have signed a forward-player that has 2 official assists in 2 EPL games (one might argue yesterday he would have deserved 2 assists) and a center-back with really impressive pedigree?

2) That is two first-team squad members. Radu also has two sub-appearances already. At the same time NONE of our top 6 rivals apart from West Ham (signed Kalvin Phillips on loan) + Chelsea and Newcastle have brought in ANY first squad members.

3) If you say that Dragusin deal "almost took the deal from us" is a negative thing (despite, you know, him actually signing) - then you surely would have to put on the plus side facts that "we almost signed" players like Nusa, Gallagher, Bergvall and maybe some others right. Because of "almost". Or should we actually base evaluation what "actually" happened?

4) And the part you say about Werner and Sonny - so... do I understand correctly - on CB front, whatever we did - it was 0 for you cause "we should have got in summer" and on attacking department it is shit unless we signed someone that would be better than Son, eg who Son would not play to the bench? :D That would be criteria beyond absolute absurd.

Saying that our transfer-window performance is among worst 30% is definition of ignorance or unrealistic expectations.
Again - if everything else was too long read then I repeat most important point - we have signed TWO first-team members that have already made debut for us. While reminder of BIG6 + Aston Villa, West Ham and Newcastle (so in total 8 teams) have ONE first teamer brought in COMBINED.

Timo had a great game yesterday, I will be very happy if he maintains his form and gets a contract.
For me we don't have a squad that can compete in 4 competitions and Ange backs that up. Before January he said we need two more windows, in the pre Brentford conference ,he still says we have a long before we can compete in 4 competitions. It's unlikely that by the end of the summer window we'll have a squad to compete in 4 competitions. I just thought with this new set up we'd be able to push on and make a few more signings, which would mean less burden in the summer.

This window is more like a solid 6 or even 7.
And we should take into account what our rivals did for context. Improving our squad to this degree while they improved dramatically would lose us ground but they’ve done nothing (so far).
In our last two Januarys and this one , we’ve made up ground on our rivals adding three (or more) starters.
Going back to the ‘hard in January’ theme, Spam have been trying to add a winger in this window without success (so far and hopefully it continues) while we added Timo who looked really good yesterday.
Agree: a definite solid window.

Back
Top Bottom