Tottenham Hotspur v Brentford (H) | Wednesday 31st January @ 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Odd game. First half we looked really disjointed, our better midfielders on paper Bentancur and Maddison weren’t at the races, thought Skipp was probably our better midfielder in that first half. Some of our others players looked half alseep.

Second half much better tempo and direction. Tactical changes and a huge kick up the arse from Ange worked wonders.

The energy and control that Bissouma and Sarr will bring plus the ruthlessness of Son will upgrade us a lot going forward.

I think we should all spare a thought, and maybe say a little prayer for this poor ickle lamb.
No matter who you support, nobody wants to see a player suffering like this.
We stand with you Nathan Collins.

View: https://twitter.com/sophiebritton_/status/1752787365897089170?t=Yw1KA5BGsDL8J5-TZU13ZA&s=19

Richarlison's disallowed goal looked for all the world to me like a dive as well, that was Collins too, wasn't it?

Thing is, I didn't understand how Richi didn't protest in the slightest, or anyone else for that matter.

One thing I do feel is that Bissouma aside we don’t have any other natural number 6 for our system. Bentancur can do the holding role but he is still a box to box for me, Sarr, Hojbjerg’s and Skipp are also 8’s in this system. I can see why we are linked with that Swedish kid, we need a Busquests or Rodri type player to compete with Bissouma.

We need to stop getting rattled on the pitch, was way too easy to wind us up and get under our skin and I still think we are a bit naive in that sense.

Also we really need to start milking these fouls during the game, surround the ref strategically, like each player take it on turns to speak to the ref and remind him about booking players etc...we need to improve our shithousery and start acting like smart cunts.

City showed us the way to do it on Friday, clever tactical fouls, stop the flow of the game when they were on front etc...
Exactly that killed our title chances this season, with that Chelsea game!

...so,now the dust has settled, what did we all think of the Pre-match light show...?
Alright, it kinda worked, and looked good, but I don't think it has any place at a football match...
Trying to generate an atmosphere like that (when the mood around the ground pre-match was pretty muted anyway) seems like they STILL don't know how to generate a FOOTBALL atmosphere at a FOOTBALL match...
Luckily, Brentford's PLAYERS got it, and did us a favour by spending the first 45 minutes getting the Spurs fans to generate the atmosphere for ourselves... 'cos by half time, I was BAYING FOR BLOOD!!

Luckily, in the 2bd half, we got it!

But for most of last night, I couldn't work out if I was at a Lady GaGa gig or the darts!
I found it cringey and embarrassing to be honest.
Maybe it's an age thing, but that has no place at a football match IMO.
God forbid we do that when we play the scum.

By the way: Where do we see Werner when Sonny comes back?

I assume he will keep playing Sonny down the left!? Will he put Werner on the right or on the bench?

Have liked what i've been seeing from Werner this far. Blistering pace, and is actually taking people on. Our wingers only do that ocassionally.

Last edited:
...so,now the dust has settled, what did we all think of the Pre-match light show...?
Alright, it kinda worked, and looked good, but I don't think it has any place at a football match...
Trying to generate an atmosphere like that (when the mood around the ground pre-match was pretty muted anyway) seems like they STILL don't know how to generate a FOOTBALL atmosphere at a FOOTBALL match...
Luckily, Brentford's PLAYERS got it, and did us a favour by spending the first 45 minutes getting the Spurs fans to generate the atmosphere for ourselves... 'cos by half time, I was BAYING FOR BLOOD!!

But for most of last night, I couldn't work out if I was at a Lady GaGa gig or the darts!

View: https://x.com/tottenhamdj/status/1752822634767647212?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Don’t care what you grumpy old bastards think, I rate it

I keep saying..he's 27 already..drifted around lower leagues all his career, some stupid cunt will buy him for £60mil +
Premier League Football GIF by BT Sport

I think stuff like this is great.

I also think there's a place for Chas N Dave and Manilow.

With the stadium and technology as it is now then let's try these things. Not everything will work. Not everyone will like everything but try stuff.

My only gripe is they didn't show enough of it on the TV. I'd rather watch the stadium build up than pundits.

Richarlison's disallowed goal looked for all the world to me like a dive as well, that was Collins too, wasn't it?

Thing is, I didn't understand how Richi didn't protest in the slightest, or anyone else for that matter.

He did touch him but Collins dived in his own box from at worst a knock on his leg that a 2 year old could do.

Why you would even do that in your own box 5 yards from goal is beyond me if the ref didn't give a soft as shit free kick he looks a twat. Well a bigger one then he already does after yesterday's display

Fucking awful first half. Back to the same slow back to front passing and totally ignorant to the fact it allowed Brentford get to back, pack out the box and easily keep us at arms length.

I'm probably gonna trigger the haters here, but PEH and Johnson absolutely changed the game in the 2nd half. PEH may not be the easiest on the eye and yes, he did make some mistakes, but he was directly involved in the build up for the first and 2nd goals by winning the ball and immediately sending a player on a run.

RUN. Something nobody did in the first half. It was pass pass pass pass pass in the first half. 3 goals in 7 minutes and all of them came because somebody ran at Brentford whilst they were spread out.
I just don't know why it's so obvious to tens of thousands of fans that they need to do this, they need to get from back to front a lot, lot quicker against low block unambitious teams. If we'd have done that from the off, it would have been a massacre last night.

I thought the ref was absolutely appalling last night. There was a conversation on here (maybe not this thread) this week about how refs should get respect, nobody should be able to say anything etc etc etc.
They're fucking dreadful. This match and the Liverpool Chelsea match has again raised the fact they just don't know what they're doing. And they're ruining the game for everyone as a result.

Lastly - all midweek games should kick off at 7.30pm at the latest. Somebody needs to put a ban on the ever later kick offs. Chavs game didn't kick off until 8.15pm ffs, against a team at the other end of the country. Fans should not be expected to travel that late.

With the stadium and technology as it is now then let's try these things. Not everything will work. Not everyone will like everything but try stuff.

My only gripe is they didn't show enough of it on the TV. I'd rather watch the stadium build up than pundits.
I look forward to being one of the old gits in the stadium. I like to think I'm a modern chap who welcomes and embraces change.
Unlike most of todays old gits in the stadium who moan about everything new.

So the absolutely low-light for me last night.

Some absolute imbecilic sitting behind me somewhere.

Comments included

"Is that Maddison mouthing off again, he's shit, send him off"
And not long after that "this is shit, bring back Mourinho"

Odd game. First half we looked really disjointed, our better midfielders on paper Bentancur and Maddison weren’t at the races, thought Skipp was probably our better midfielder in that first half. Some of our others players looked half alseep.

Second half much better tempo and direction. Tactical changes and a huge kick up the arse from Ange worked wonders.

The energy and control that Bissouma and Sarr will bring plus the ruthlessness of Son will upgrade us a lot going forward.
Felt like after the 3rd goal. We reverted back to slow side ways 2 yard passes like I'm the first half. We make more mistakes doing that. Quicker more direct passes needed. It's how we scored those goals. Win the ball and get up the pitch in 2 or 3 passes

Last time I went they didn’t do Can’t Smile. Pissed me off no end.

No need to be old or new school, do both

I’m in full agreement with Ange over Maupay btw. He’s a crap player and the only way he can be effective is by actively bringing opponents down to his level. Poor to let a scrub like him rattle us.

You get into back-and-forths with worthy opponents, a Jamie Vardy, the Wilshere’s, Diego Costa’s etc.

Back
Top Bottom