January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we should move on from Nusa now.. he wouldn't be ready for a couple of years at least given he doesn't start for Brugge.

Thinking more broadly about our squad; I think our defence and midfield are in a fantastic place.

But the attack gives me concern. Gil isn't a PL player, and Solomon hasn't yet shown much. Richarlison, Werner, Kulusevski and Johnson all have significant flaws. Son is the only proven goalscorer and 31yo.

Imo this summer we should sell/let go of out 3 worst performing forwards, and buy 2 quality ones, perhaps 60m each.
Yeah needs surgery but it won't happen.

Gil will be moved on but other than that I don't really see a major overhaul.

Richy, Solomon and Johnson will all still be here next season. We'll probably end up taking the Werner option because it's peanuts.

We have a bit of an issue now as the only elite attacker we have is Son (and that's only when he's at CF not LW). We need to figure out what Kulu is to become as RW is not really working.

The rest of them are not in that elite category.

For me the best we can hope for would be a ready made LW or RW that goes straight into the first XI.

Son through the middle and the rest of the group battle it out for that remaining spot/provide cover.

It's Amazing how many Spurs Fans are brainwashed by our Bank Balance and Our World Class Stadium.

Non of them have even realised that Keane, Sandringham, Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Walker, Trippier and Kane were all part of a Spurs rebuild. How many of them ended up lifting a trophy with Spurs and how many ended up.doing so with other clubs.

Oh shut up

Not gazumped but definitely pipped.

Well, gazumped would mean a team offered more money which we know isn't true.

Pipped would simply mean a team got their first. Which we also know isn't true or it's certainly not known to be true.

It happens. No point being in denial and also no point getting upset.

Not sure anyone is in denial over anything.

If he’s really world class talent then chances are he wouldn’t have gone to Brentford

Why not?

No one else in Europe has money. The English league has plenty and I reckon it's about to be the league for young talent to come in and develop.

Nusa is the profile of someone who'd typically go to Ajax, Dortmund etc first, get game time and be sold on. But none of them would be offering Brugge the money they asked for like English clubs can.

Ie Guler that went to Real or any of the other wonder kids that went to RB clubs

Nusa wants game time. He isn't getting that at the elite clubs who could have signed him if they wanted to.

I know nothing about him but if Brentford were our rivals for his signature I would be wondering why nobody bigger than them was seriously interested .

Probably because he is on the bench at a Belgian club and they want 30 million euros for him and he is 18. I suspect the only people who really wanted him are those that have signed him on Football Manager. It's be fair, nobody really knows how good he is, but to pay that for such unproven quality is quite mad if you ask me.

Talking of Brentford I'd much rather sign Mbuemo. At least he is proven goals and assists in the PL.

All I'm saying is this. I think we had a chance to get in more signings now and build less during.
I read a report about Lange and our new set up, we have a short list of 5 or 6 players for players in positions we need. All we got is werner, a player down on his luck and Dragsun who we should have got in the summer. it doesn't bode well for the summer transfer window.

I know nothing about him but if Brentford were our rivals for his signature I would be wondering why nobody bigger than them was seriously interested .

He wants to play games and develop.

Not many big teams can afford to give him that luxury and not many bigger teams than Brugge across Europe, that'd been better suited for his development, could afford what Brugge ultimately wanted.

Brentford however could. Whether he ends up getting that game time remains to be seen. I think he will and I think by this time next year, he'll be linked to much bigger clubs.

Nusa is the profile of someone who'd typically go to Ajax, Dortmund etc first, get game time and be sold on. But none of them would be offering Brugge the money they asked for like English clubs can.

I think peeps need to take stock and realise that the likes of Ajax, BVB & RB get such talent cos they can offer a development stepping stone whilst still being an CL environment.

We don't fall into that category cos our week to week fixtures are much tougher and don't afford the same amount of patience (and have higher expectations than the likes of CP, WH or Brentford).

We've done very well getting young players of late:

Sarr,
VDV
Udogie
Dragusin
Kulu
Veliz
Phillips
The Croatian CB lad.
BJ (Yes, I know some have their doubts about him; but pertinent to today's news Brentford wanted him and we acted decisively to get our man.)
Spence (Who the vast majority here wanted!)

....but some will still opt for something different to what we can offer:

i.e.
Eze (QPR > CP)
Olise (Reading > CP)
Bowen (Hull > WH)
Scott (BristolC. > Bmuff)
Nusa (Brugge > Brentford)

Last edited:
Well, gazumped would mean a team offered more money which we know isn't true.

Pipped would simply mean a team got their first. Which we also know isn't true or it's certainly not known to be true.

Not sure anyone is in denial over anything.

Why not?

No one else in Europe has money. The English league has plenty and I reckon it's about to be the league for young talent to come in and develop.

Nusa wants game time. He isn't getting that at the elite clubs who could have signed him if they wanted to.

Either way we wanted the player and another club got the player.

It happens.

Back
Top Bottom