FA Cup 4th Round - Man City [H] - Friday 26 Jan 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How similar was it to the league game? Because I did watch that and despite all the positivity after, I thought we were fucking dreadful and it was pure luck we escaped a 3 or 4 nil loss. Were just incredibly clinical.

It seems likely that what we're getting quite good at it, they're just better at. Which is fair, but to have one shot at home is really fucking poor by any marker.
It wasn’t like the league game.

League game they should have put us to bed first half and we were the better team second half and punished them.

They were better the whole game tonight. They destroyed any chance of the game getting into rhythm with cynical fouls and relied on their press to dominate possession and territory. They didn’t create shit bit neither did we and they punished us with a veteran Corner kick routine,

Tbh it was more of a Jose style win from them than a Pep one

This is such a big part of it. Can’t stand the fact that these international competitions are stuck right in the middle of the season. Play them in the summer FFS

Heat probably an issue - but its really frustrating

However, we are one and a half transfer windows in. Our squad is only going to get stronger so that in future these issues have less of an effect.

How similar was it to the league game? Because I did watch that and despite all the positivity after, I thought we were fucking dreadful and it was pure luck we escaped a 3 or 4 nil loss. Were just incredibly clinical.

It seems likely that what we're getting quite good at it, they're just better at. Which is fair, but to have one shot at home is really fucking poor by any marker.
Different.

It was a very typical City performance. Held onto the ball, moved it very quickly. Kovacic had his best game for them that I’ve seen.

I like a melt as much as the next man but there was a very fundamental gap in technical ability on display. They shut down Kulu. The rest of our attack run in straight lines.

To be honest, even one nil flattered us, as irritating as that is.

Doped up cunts.

Have to concede we weren’t great today and didn’t deserve a replay.

We didn’t deal with their press particularly well, didn’t play through it effectively much at all and really struggled to get the inverted full backs on the ball as much as we normally do.

I guess the real frustration is when we did mange to get ourselves into nice positions, we were very slow with the final pass / wasteful with final ball. If I were Werner I’d be pretty pissed in the dressing room about the amount of times he wasn’t played in.

I had thought earlier in the game that we should have been marking the guy on the GK at corners, it’s never easy when there’s a bloke on your toes. We needed someone to shift him.

Still lots more to come, Maddison didn’t look fit yet, Bentancur still coming back (his passing was very poor today) and the Afcon players + Son to return.

Pretty deflating as had a good feeling about a cup run but fair play City were good today and really strangled our play.

Let’s string some wins together in the league now.

See my post #1816

Obviously we miss our Sonny, our heart, our captain.
Hes not getting any younger though. 70 minutes and hes burnt out now. We need to add more quality. Top striker priority. Lets be honest playing city is like going to a high stakes poker game with 100 quid and city have an embarassement of riches as stake money. Emphatic theyve bought it. City arent bigger than us. Weve let shit teams overtake us.

It wasn’t like the league game.

League game they should have put us to bed first half and we were the better team second half and punished them.

They were better the whole game tonight. They destroyed any chance of the game getting into rhythm with cynical fouls and relied on their press to dominate possession and territory. They didn’t create shit bit neither did we and they punished us with a veteran Corner kick routine,

Tbh it was more of a Jose style win from them than a Pep one

2.35 xG to our 0.27xG says they created at least ... something. I assume their goal was a very high xG chance?

Again, I wasn't able to watch so can't really say. I'd say less Jose style by your description and actually very Pep, he's definitely tactically very capable of mixing it up and having games where his team are cynical but dominant and limit/frustrate teams in a very different way. CL final was a bit like that aside from I think they were a bit nervy that night so Inter created a few chances.

Guess if we're taking positives. We get a free run in the league to finish as high as possible.

And Villa drew tonight so they'll have a replayed match pencilled in somewhere. More games for a pretty thin squad on top of the Conference League coming up for them.

Yup

We don’t have a right to beat the best team in the world. We had a chance but it was a free hit really.

Early on in the Ange project and this team is still learning to play together.

Need to get angry and fucking destroy Brentford

Back
Top Bottom