January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is fucking simple.
It’s the same people that get credit or take blame.
You figure out who it is but be consistent.
If you’re one of those people who says ‘The Buck stops at Levy’ then it’s his credit. It’s an excellent deal whoever negotiated it — beating bigger clubs and giving away less than they offered.
Let’s hope the scouts (put in place by the management team) are right about the player being able to adapt to AngeBall.
It’s never black or white o guess. Some have pre built agendas and bias. I’d say on the drag deal the football people problem told / recommended to levy to stump up or we miss out. Which if true is great as we all know what happens when levy is doing the football people’s job and being the cashier at the same time. So I would say praise to Lange, Munn(?), scouts and Ange more than levy. As basically we do have the money and we have a big margin for FFP so should never be an issue stumping the extra euros. It’s always been levy being tight.

That's an excellent summary of the period, can't disagree with a word of it.

I was curious about this bit - "certainly Haringey council politics screwed the stadium development by a decade". Although living 1,000 km away, I sort of knew that they weren't helpful at times but didn't know it was so prolonged and harmful. Could you summarise briefly what you know?

In broad terms (and not to upset certain politically active fans), Haringey were under a Corbyn like council for years who seemed to never improve the area around Tottenham with almost zero new builds despite a swelling local population. Tottenham area used to be 'gentile' and even middle class to look at the older buildings around the area when Spurs first joined league in early 1900's but was largely rebuilt post war (mainly I think in the 60's) as a 'concrete' jungle with little social space and had become an area inhabited by less well off people, many not working and others in low paid jobs tending to be cramped in deteriorating housing/area....... and nothing changing as local council didn't believe in changing people's lives for the better (sad but true - politically better to let people complain and local Cotrbynist council blame government whether labour or conservative) .

Spurs wanting to rebuild a stadium was proposed but was totally against the political requirements of the local council (private company, change, rebuilding in the area etc) from the earlyish 2000's onwards.

There was a rude awakening in 2011 for both local council and national government with a major riot, looting of shops etc over a few days and nights - the demands of the locals very quickly became focussed on 'change' - more and better housing, more employment, better chances in life and (I think) they had seen many areas boom in the last 20 years, but their area going downhill.

The riots set in motion a realisation for the council that things needed to change, Levy re-put forward the prospect of hundreds of millions investment in a local stadium (with big crowds spending money in the local area) plus a commitment to build housing in the area with several early developments being 100% for social housing with amenities such as school, medical centre and other amenities (much of the list reflecting the type of changes demanded by locals and rioters).

The first major housing build (before the stadium) was Brook House (some 100+ flats finished to a good standard (almost zero complaints from new residents - sadly unusual these days where new build quality is often poor) and all 100% social housing together with a primary school, leisure area and some business space to employ locals. More housing has followed to a similar standard, typically 80% (ish) social housing, rest private. I believe Spurs have mow enabled more homes built in the area than the previous 40 years and indeed have still built more than Haringey and its partners.

You will know all about the stadium build which actually commenced building in 2015 ish and completed in 2019. But in a different political environment, the stadium could have been built almost a decade earlier - and the changes stemming from the new stadium, new housing, new employment and enhanced education might have prevented the Tottenham riots.

There's a lot that fans can say about the football club, but one thing we should all be proud of is the changes Spurs have and are making in the area with huge improvements in housing, employment (thousands employed though Spurs initiatives) as well as education ( London Academy of Excellence Tottenham (LAET) - results are staggering for a disadvantaged area including local pupils going to universities including Oxford and Cambridge) together with Spurs Foundation providing other social initiatives.

Munn and Lange have a budget they need to work within. If the player valuation and/or salary demands fluctuate, that has a ripple effect on the budget and will affect other transfers. So someone has to either give the thumbs up, or work out payment structures to minimize the impact on the current budget. Which is where Dan comes in. It seems to me that he is now more in the role of facilitator than negotiator, as was evidenced in the Porro transfer.
Most likely but I think he can now get his arm twisted by the football people a bit more as he was given them the power. Which is good!

How so?

Looks a bit more feisty Vs Hackney more silkier, happy with either.

Edit : A few of these suggest £10-15m today… want.

Get both and we are hopefully sorted for next 10 years along with Alfie , donkey, dorrington together with all the existing g youngsters. This is what top clubs do. Which also means fuck CG for £50M. Much rather spurs supporting lads like Wharton and Scott.

It wasn’t an obligation because the transfer only became mandatory if we got CL football. We didn’t so we negotiated a transfer fee which was lower than the original obligation. Thanks to GGTH GGTH for setting me straight.

Depends on precise wording of contract but it was an 18 month loan with a break clause after 6 months and a clause saying if we got CL football the purchase became an obligation.

We did get CL football after he had been at Spurs 6 months, and it would have been perverse to word the contract such that we could get CL football (triggering an obligation) which could be avoided by Spurs not taking up the 6 month break and taking up the full 18 month loan.

So it certainly depends upon precise contract wording, but as I say perverse or poor wording if Juventus 'let us off the hook' - and of course we did buy Kulusevski at the end whether as obligation or option.

In broad terms (and not to upset certain politically active fans), Haringey were under a Corbyn like council for years who seemed to never improve the area around Tottenham with almost zero new builds despite a swelling local population. Tottenham area used to be 'gentile' and even middle class to look at the older buildings around the area when Spurs first joined league in early 1900's but was largely rebuilt post war (mainly I think in the 60's) as a 'concrete' jungle with little social space and had become an area inhabited by less well off people, many not working and others in low paid jobs tending to be cramped in deteriorating housing/area....... and nothing changing as local council didn't believe in changing people's lives for the better (sad but true - politically better to let people complain and local Cotrbynist council blame government whether labour or conservative) .

Spurs wanting to rebuild a stadium was proposed but was totally against the political requirements of the local council (private company, change, rebuilding in the area etc) from the earlyish 2000's onwards.

There was a rude awakening in 2011 for both local council and national government with a major riot, looting of shops etc over a few days and nights - the demands of the locals very quickly became focussed on 'change' - more and better housing, more employment, better chances in life and (I think) they had seen many areas boom in the last 20 years, but their area going downhill.

The riots set in motion a realisation for the council that things needed to change, Levy re-put forward the prospect of hundreds of millions investment in a local stadium (with big crowds spending money in the local area) plus a commitment to build housing in the area with several early developments being 100% for social housing with amenities such as school, medical centre and other amenities (much of the list reflecting the type of changes demanded by locals and rioters).

The first major housing build (before the stadium) was Brook House (some 100+ flats finished to a good standard (almost zero complaints from new residents - sadly unusual these days where new build quality is often poor) and all 100% social housing together with a primary school, leisure area and some business space to employ locals. More housing has followed to a similar standard, typically 80% (ish) social housing, rest private. I believe Spurs have mow enabled more homes built in the area than the previous 40 years and indeed have still built more than Haringey and its partners.

You will know all about the stadium build which actually commenced building in 2015 ish and completed in 2019. But in a different political environment, the stadium could have been built almost a decade earlier - and the changes stemming from the new stadium, new housing, new employment and enhanced education might have prevented the Tottenham riots.

There's a lot that fans can say about the football club, but one thing we should all be proud of is the changes Spurs have and are making in the area with huge improvements in housing, employment (thousands employed though Spurs initiatives) as well as education ( London Academy of Excellence Tottenham (LAET) - results are staggering for a disadvantaged area including local pupils going to universities including Oxford and Cambridge) together with Spurs Foundation providing other social initiatives.
Being corbynites any anti Jewish sentiments cloud their thinking?

Depends on precise wording of contract but it was an 18 month loan with a break clause after 6 months and a clause saying if we got CL football the purchase became an obligation.

We did get CL football after he had been at Spurs 6 months, and it would have been perverse to word the contract such that we could get CL football (triggering an obligation) which could be avoided by Spurs not taking up the 6 month break and taking up the full 18 month loan.

So it certainly depends upon precise contract wording, but as I say perverse or poor wording if Juventus 'let us off the hook' - and of course we did buy Kulusevski at the end whether as obligation or option.

Never the less; the fact that we were allowed to flout the original €35m pricetag in the agreement and re-negotiate a lower purchase price implies that whatever the obligation terms were they were not triggered.

It makes zero sense that Juve would accept less money than they were legally entitled to.

So the defence has been reshaped! Now it’s time for the midfield. At this moment in time, I’d like to see something like this by the end of the Summer window:

Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Skipp out

One of Gallagher, Eze, or Morgan Gibbs-White in

One or two of Alex Scott, Adam Wharton, Archie Gray, Angel Gomes, or Hayden Hackney in

Homegrown issues would be massively eased while signing quality players for both the present and future. It’s time we had more good English players at the club. The fact that Maddison is the only good one right now is a joke.
Very, very sensible post.

Never the less; the fact that we were allowed to flout the original €35m pricetag in the agreement and re-negotiate a lower purchase price implies that whatever the obligation terms were they were not triggered.

It makes zero sense that Juve would accept less money than they were legally entitled to.

sense and Juventus finances don't seem to go well together in one sentence.

wouldn't surprise me if Paraciti was able to 'negotiate' the deal either.

and my point stands that an obligation clause on getting CL being overridden by Spurs by Spurs taking the full 18 months shouldn't get past even a junior lawyer's drafting it.

The only way to be sure would be to see the original contract.

Incidentally Dragusin's purchase triggered a sell on clause payment to Juventus of some 5m or 6m - I'm half surprised the usual crew haven't posted that the Paraciti is still working to favour his old club.

Back
Top Bottom