The Dawson Derby, AKA The Andy Reid Derby, AKA The Brennan Johnson Derby - AKA EVERY FUCKING PLAYER EVER- AKA Forest Away - 15/12, 8pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Intention is irrelevant on various levels (nobody can have any idea of what happened in the player's mind at the split second that the foul occurred). It's why the "not that sort of player" argument has always been ridiculous.

Even with the "new" (+10 years) laws in place, "intention" hasn't been a factor for the past 30 years or so.

You’re talking nonsense today.

Assessing intention does not require knowledge of someone’s thoughts. As a lawyer, I would feel for my prosecutor-colleagues if that was the case. Perhaps you can figure out why.

In football, when assessing a tackle, one thing to be assessed is the tackling player’s proximity to the ball and attempt to play the ball.

You cannot assess if an attempt to play the ball was made without considering the intention behind the tackle. If no attempt was made to play the ball, you’re more likely to be sent off than if an attempt was indeed made (but failed).

(Not that I don’t agree on the red card, though. Harsh, but not wrong, especially considering the height of the foot at contact).

Last edited:
Auntie/Balls etc.
Probably partly my argument no?

I admit I'm a bit pissed so might not be making my arguments 100% clearly, but they created enough with what they had to suggest that on another day the result could easily have been different I reckon. Especially if they had some quality in the last 1/3rd. And it's not as if we set out a game plan specifically to take account of Forest's strengths or weaknesses.

Probably partly my argument no?

I admit I'm a bit pissed so might not be making my arguments 100% clearly, but they created enough with what they had to suggest that on another day the result could easily have been different I reckon. Especially if they had some quality in the last 1/3rd. And it's not as if we set out a game plan specifically to take account of Forest's strengths or weaknesses.

749cca362c073033fb0968859da7cedf.gif

You’re talking nonsense today.

Assessing intention does not require knowledge of someone’s thoughts. As a lawyer, I would feel for my prosecutor-colleagues if that was the case. Perhaps you can figure out why.

In football, when assessing a tackle, one thing to be assessed is the tackling player’s proximity to the ball and attempt to play the ball.

You cannot assess if an attempt to play the ball was made without considering the intention behind the tackle. If no attempt was made to play the ball, you’re more likely to be sent off than if an attempt was indeed made (but failed).

(Not that I don’t agree on the red card, though. Harsh, but not wrong, especially considering the height of the foot at contact).
Its not harsh though

Rules are:

- 5 subs
- Only 3 stoppages allowed to make them + HT
- Additional subs/stoppage allowed for concussion sub.

If we've made four separate subs then one of them must have been a con.sub.

See above.

Agreed but we have time to declare that after examination its not concussion - even though we used the concussion sub. So no need to rest him due to concussion and he can play Everton

Agreed but we have time to declare that after examination its not concussion - even though we used the concussion sub. So no need to rest him due to concussion and he can play Everton

Yeh.... The part of this I'm not clear on is the testing and clearing process.

I also thought it was a 10 day rest period for a confirmed concussion, but others are saying 6/7 days......?

Its not harsh though

Well, that’s subjective….

I’m simply saying harsh because serious foul play is a foul that “endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality “.

It wasn’t forceful nor brutal, but especially due to the height of the contact (which is a key factor in determining whether the tackle endangered the safety of the opponent), the red is correct.

But personally I would much rather see more reds for tackles from behind/the side on the anckles of the opponent (a la Kai Havertz) as those tackles are more likely to actually endanger the safety of a player than a high tackle from the front on to the shinpad.

A red to a Havertz-style tackle would make more sense in light of the overall wording of the rule re: serious foul play, but as the rule is administered, the red for Biss is a no brainer (and I think I was the first to write “that’s a red”)

Back
Top Bottom