January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone else feel like we either need a elite LW or elite ST? LW if Son remains as ST, and and ST if son is to return to LW.

I love Richie the person, but the player is just not very good, even if he comes good I don't imagine him becoming anywhere near as good as Son or even Kulu tbh. Son and Maddison are starting to feel a bit like Son and Kane.

I hear you...... I'm not sure which position yet and suggest maybe we feel our way through the rest of the season to decide, but we need an elite presence in the front 3 to put the cherry on top of what Ange is building..... Someone we can at least aspire to bagging 20 goals per season.

Assuming we're committed to Johnson, Kulu & Veliz longer term and Perisic being gone in the summer.... Gil, Richy, Solomon all carrying question marks (and considering Sonny's age) there is definite scope for leveling up.

Another class CB, a striker and goalkeeper.
A CB please - I have night terrors about a VdV or Cuti injury - I believe the future is bright with Phillips and Dorrington but they probably already ready to step in now if there’s an injury - and Dier - gulp.

We need a solid CB as our top priority in the winter window.

Anyone else feel like we either need a elite LW or elite ST? LW if Son remains as ST, and and ST if son is to return to LW.

I love Richie the person, but the player is just not very good, even if he comes good I don't imagine him becoming anywhere near as good as Son or even Kulu tbh. Son and Maddison are starting to feel a bit like Son and Kane.
Yes, but there's no elite ST so we make do

Looking at Arse and their summer transfers you can see how important it is to get it right and not waste space. It is better to get nobody then bring in someone who might fuck the team.

1 Raya and Ramsdale. Huge mess which will create drama, you can’t have two good goalkeepers in their prime like that. Other clubs don’t do it for a reason.

2 Havertz. Mediocre player who unbalances them.

3 Xhaka going. You can laugh at him but only Partey was a better passer in midfield than him at Arse.

4 Not getting a top striker. Jesus, Nketiah are decent Prem strikers but nothing else.

5 Jorginho. Looks off the pace these days. A big downgrade when he comes on.

I think our targets like Kelly, Eze etc won’t do this. But you really can’t fuck it up.

Looking at Arse and their summer transfers you can see how important it is to get it right and not waste space. It is better to get nobody then bring in someone who might fuck the team.

1 Raya and Ramsdale. Huge mess which will create drama, you can’t have two good goalkeepers in their prime like that. Other clubs don’t do it for a reason.

3 Xhaka going. You can laugh at him but only Partey was a better passer in midfield than him at Arse.

4 Not getting a top striker. Jesus, Nketiah are decent Prem strikers but nothing else.

I think our targets like Kelly, Eze etc won’t do this. But you really can’t fuck it up.

Good post and good points well made.

It's a balancing act, whatever the team.

Buy nobody and then you leave yourself potentially exposed.

For now I think we could get a striker and a midfielder and be that bit better but...

Last edited:
Good post and good points well made.

It's a balancing act, whatever the team.

Buy nobody and then you leave yourself potentially exposed.

For now I think we could get a striker and a midfielder and be that nit better but...

Who would you go for?

Eze is the obvious for CM/AM, absolute quality player, Base client like Bissouma, Maddison and Ange and will have 1 year left end of season so obvious move.

But then if we need a top draw attacker and CB that is less clear particularly the attacker.

Still gutted we never went after Doku. He is the left winger we needed. Been following him since he's 16 and there are not much better wingers out there (potentially wise).

Another one that we might have missed out on is Duranville. Also from the Anderlecht academy but at Dortmund now.

I think you have summarised why I am almost in awe of this summer and last 2 seasons signings of 20 players :

GK -Vicario/Forster
RB - Porro/Royal
CB - Romero/VDV/(Phillips)
LB - Udogie
CM1 - Bissouma, Skipp (after loan at Norwich)
CM2 - Sarr/Bentancur
CM3 - Maddison
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson
LW - Perisic/Solomon/Gil
CF - Richarlison (Veliz)

Whilst its not perfect, there really are not too many substandard players in that list. And a great base to add players to - whether existing players like Son - or brand new players we want to add in January or this coming summer

Back
Top Bottom