Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just hope it isn’t Van de Ven.

I suggested something similar the other day and got the piss taken....

I'd feel more comfortable with Tapsoba & Tosin (even if VDV is fancied to have a higher ceiling in the long-run). Seems like a safer pair of hands for a team that needs an immediate up-swing from at least one of the 2 required newbies.

What are you seeing that I'm not? He looks a good prospect to me but admittedly I have only seen bits and pieces of him.

Airfixx Airfixx same question to you mate.

Of the little I know about him, it's a matter of what he hasn't got (yet).... In particular a tall guy like him with no aerial prowess when we desperately need some.

What are you seeing that I'm not? He looks a good prospect to me but admittedly I have only seen bits and pieces of him.

Airfixx Airfixx same question to you mate.
Enjoy mate. I liked the VDV link when I first heard it. Saw him play a couple times and he seemed like a good profile.

Then I dove into the film…

Starks Starks just LMFAO at this defending. Jesus fucking wept.

This is just a joke. He may be tall but he SUCKS at tracking the ball in the air. That is comedy defending. Doesn't turn his body, doesn't track or judge the ball, just jumps lamely and falls off balance. Jesus christ. I cannot believe people think this guy is going to fix our defense.

Horrific aerial defending yet again.

What the fuck is he doing here then.

You cannot possibly blame that on the 'system'. He looks like an absolute clown in this. This is a trend of his. He stands off the ball and lets dribblers into space, that is his style, his MO.

Seriously. How can you watch something like this and think 'oh, no big deal, he has a good profile on paper'. Spending 30m on this and expecting THIS to transform our defense?

Yes he is prone to this. Talk to dutch football people and they consistently say that he sucks at making quick decisive actions. He stands off everything and uses his pace to recover. You know the only players who I've ever seen do that successfully? Peak Kyle Walker (who I shouldn't even need to explain why he's a 1 of 1 anomaly) and Virgil Van Dijk. VdV actually has a similar 'style' to VVD but you know why that's a bad thing? Because for Van Dijk's style to work he had to be the best-timed and most explosive/decisive tackler in Europe. He had to be absolutely perfect on timing. Add to that that he's about 3 times as agile as Van de Ven and legitimately the best aerial defender of the past decade, which is a glaring weakness of Van de Ven's, and I think you'll see where my concern stems from.

Watch what Van de Ven does here. Tall #5 wearing the black boots for reference.

On 0:10 and then 7:02

This is terrifying. I am literally having nightmares over his horror defending on both of these goals. Does that not scare the shit out of you? Seriously. I’m horrified. I’m sick watching that. His “defending” on the 7:05 goal from Musiala is vomit-worthy and also indicative of his passive stand-offish style.

Can you completely rewire a player’s DNA to make them aggressive and decisive in tackling, when their innate inclination is to stand off and allow players to dribble past them?

Can you build a player’s aerial tracking ability from the ground up, being basically a 0 to being elite?

Also, Porro happens to be probably the best attacking young RWB in Europe and Udogie similarly has incredible offensive potential. The reason you must get your CB signing absolutely spot on is to cover for those two, to allow their defensive deficiencies because of their amazing attacking potential. You can scheme and hide and cover for lacking defensive ability in fullbacks. You absolutely cannot mess around and get away with it in a centre back.

Of the little I know about him, it's a matter of what he hasn't got (yet).... In particular a tall guy like him with no aerial prowess when we desperately need some.

Feels like the same issue I have with Lenglet. He's supposed to be this famed ball player but that element of his game looks no better than above average (certainly not elite as he is billed) and he cannot defend to save himself. His positioning is terrible and he's physically not very robust.

Ben Davies has his limitations but he at least plays within them when he is on the ball and is pretty safe without it.

Royal is an out and out quality defender but has limited product going forward.

I'll look further into VDV but Tapsoba looks the one for me. I'd then keep Davies and Royal as you can trust them defensively at least. I'd get rid of Tanganga and I wouldn't bother with Lenglet even if Barcelona paid us to take him. Sanchez is obviously leaving and there is no place for Rodon whom we should never have signed in the first place.

The message was simple.... As at the time of the statement "We owe 650m.... We won't let it affect our spending"..... Aside from our annual repayments; we haven't.

Was it intended to calm fan any concerns? Sure... That doesn't make it untrue "propaganda" though.

That's a crazy abuse of the timelines you're indulging here...... When we started the stadium project there was no league title challenge in sight. Nor do you kick it to the side for a year or two once it's up and running.
I'm so tired of people who are too thick to understand structured debt moaning about the stadium.

The stadium costs us ~£35M/yr. Our match day income was £106M last report, up from £45M last season in WHL. The stadium is a +£26M/yr net gain and rising, and that's not accounting for any of the additional NFL/concerts/etc. revenue.

The stadium is a positive, period. It's not even worth discussing otherwise.

Last edited:
Actually think Emerson continues to improve.
Quality defender. And seeming more comfortable going forward. (Lotta room to continue to grow of course)

I’d pair he and Udoggie in the starting 11.

Regardless, got to get another quality starter at LCB. Davies a solid squad player. Literally trust no one else on the bloated squad to play beside Romano.

Brentford's new keeper looks shocking in pre-season.

They might be better off keeping Raya for a season.
I sat directly behind Flekken on Wednesday night in their preseason game against Brighton. He was really, really shaky. Poor decision to come out to challenge at the top of the box led to a Brighton goal. Several other awkward moments playing the ball with his feet and appeared off his line often.

That's a crazy abuse of the timelines you're indulging here...... When we started the stadium project there was no league title challenge in sight. Nor do you kick it to the side for a year or two once it's up and running.

We didn't get formal approval of the final stadium until end of Feb 2016.

As of 14th Feb 2016 we were 2 pts off 1st behind Leicester. We finished 3rd end of that season and was on an obvious upward and exciting trajectory.

Despite this, we proceeded with plans to initiate the dismantling of the North East corner of White Hart Lane in the summer of 2016. But we went on to reach 2nd and a semi final of the fa cup the next season (2016/2017). That year, we acquired wanyama, nkoudou, janssen and sissoko. I can't recall who the alternative to sissoko was but I remember sissoko being a disappointing, somewhat desperate purchase after we failed to get our preferred target. (Can anyone remind me?)

So no. I'm not abusing timelines here. The decision making power has always been in our hands.

Last edited:
No one's getting £80m for a 33/34 year old who isn't Ronaldo or Messi.

AND it doesn't mean he's defo coming back at all, I said first refusal when/if they decide to sell, just means they let us know first, doesn't mean we'll want him then but it's a nice thing to tell the fans.

I also think Kane would like to come back and have a crack at the records he's been chasing if he's still fit. He's still a Spurs fan unlike the Bales and Eriksens - he wouldn't be leaving if we'd won stuff of significance by now.
My point was, we sell high and we buy low. We sold lots of big stars. The closest we got to a return was Bale on loan

They need to get moving next week.

I do believe Levy will sign a CB.

Will there be budget for a CB that is a genuine upgrade? If we sell Kane, yes. If we don’t, less sure.

And tbh we need 2
We shouldn't have to use Kane money to upgrade CB, in the beginning there was no talk of that at all.

I tentatively agree but no-one walks into the centre back aisle at Waitrose and picks out what they want and pays the price attached to his jersey.

Tapsoba is highly, highly regarded by his club. The don't want to sell so it will take either extraordinary money or extraordinary negotiation to make it happen. We won't do the former.

I wouldn't have us buy Rice for 105M for what it's worth. This isn't Monopoly.
You’ve been Levy’d. After 23 years of being billed as plucky little Spurs, the frugal tactics have rubbed off. Now and again, just pay what is needed to secure a top player in a position we are desperate. What is extraordinary money? 50M? 60m? Pay it

Airfixx Airfixx LeParisien LeParisien

You have both brought up stadium costs as a mitigating factor which is fair... to an extent.

But does it really excuse the lowest net spend out of all teams who were in the PL then and now?

I don't think so..
And the knock on effect of that is what I discussed in my previous posts re 2019-2023 net spend data.
That’s a question which only those people with knowledge of the financial considerations of building a stadium can answer. We ended up with an excellent financial arrangement to finance the stadium so it certainly seems like a decision was made to carry as much of the burden before opening the stadium in order to free up spending after.

Your question implies a “yes/no” answer but the reality is always more complex. Could things have been done differently to get better results? I’m sure. But also it was factually a 5 year period where we reached 3 semifinals, 2 finals and had the second best five year period of league form in our history. Results wee very good on the pitch.

But did that underinvestment also lead to issues later? No doubt. But it was still worth it over the long term. Fans do not display the most resilience but I think we will start to see the benefits of the stadium investment in the 20s.

Our issues are caused by other things too. For example, poor recruitment - imagine if Ndombele and Lo Celso looked like 80/90m of talent! And also imagine if Mourinho and Conte - two managers who have been at the very top - hadn’t been knocked out of cups by Nottingham Forest, Middlesborough, Sheffield United, Everton, Norwich and Dinamo Zagreb! The blame for these things is shared across multiple people.

Finally, your main argument about achieving a similar net spend with bigger initial investment has a lot of conditions and caveats. I won’t put them all here but a key driver is that if you buy players for more, you can sell them for more. Clearly that hasn’t been true for us. But in any case there’s also another mechanism that can lead to selling players for high values - developing and improving the talent you have. The key failing of Levy over the past 5 years has been hiring coaches who do not and have not substantially improved the talent at their disposal, particularly young players.

Back
Top Bottom