Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. TL;DR for the mega-essays: basically they have spent more than us & will continue to spend this window whereas we're about to sell our star player and probably sign a CB or two so the 'they spend more than us' will be even more true in a month or so.

You're welcome, King.

You can't do a comparisson based on money spent alone.

A left back would cost less than a striker?

It's about the player, position on the field, contract remaining and any buy out clause?

What about free transfers?

The end of the day the PL table dictates who has been more suuccessful irrespective of spend(*****).

Didn't Leicester of a few seasons ago prove that?

There's all sorts of factors; yes.... But when people bellyache about the spending of others (esp. false claims), what other data can one be expected to work with?

FWIW: That big long post isn't about me trying to draw comparisons; it's a call for substance over emotion-driven myth & BS.

(****The last part makes it sound like you think I was trying to prove that we've been the most successful....... )

Last edited:

IF we are one of those other clubs trying to get in on the deal.

And they can outbid us on a player for their farm team, when we are looking at them for the 1st team, football is broken imo.

We didn't even finish below them last season and we don't have worse prospects with our current squad.

If the lad wants to join a feeder club instead of going directly to a club buying him and into the first team squad/team then he is a prat and not worth considering. His choice.

- Last year: "It's cheating to count Romero, Kulu & Porro" cos they've not been finalised yet / This year: "It's cheating to count Kulu & Porro cos they were signed last year. Ditto Romero the year before.
Oh come on. You know damn well you and others like you used these signings to play up each respective transfer window when they initially joined :roflmao:

Why even bother trying to pretend otherwise?

You're taking the piss, mate. Blatant trolling.. . :mourcry:

Oh come on. You know damn well you and others like you used these signings to play up each respective transfer window when they initially joined :roflmao:

I prefer counting them at the time they are signed and have said so on a multitude of occasions; but keep lying, JT......

That's all you have.

......Is that even true? ....According to what criteria? ....According to what source?

I've been good enough to provide scrutinise-able data. It's not fitting that you'd require me to swallow unsubstantiated counter-claims on face value... Esp. given how routinely false they (in general) transpire to be.

You can subtract the 10 year net spend from 5 year net spend to find the net spend from 14/15 - 18/19. We are the lowest out of all teams who were in the PL at any point between 14/15 - 18/19 (and are still in the PL now).

What you haven't explained is where you would draw a cut off instead and what makes that appropriate.
There is no perfect point to draw a cut-off.

But I've explained that this data can be misleading if used as a comparator between clubs as previous net spend can be re-invested.
Choosing 2019 as the cut-off exacerbates this flaw... as the net spend in the 5 years previous is close to 0 and bottom of the league while all our major rivals are in the 100s of millions.

You can subtract the 10 year net spend from 5 year net spend to find the net spend from 14/15 - 18/19. We are the lowest out of all teams who were in the PL at any point between 14/15 - 18/19 (and are still in the PL now).
Airfixx Airfixx LeParisien LeParisien

You have both brought up stadium costs as a mitigating factor which is fair... to an extent.

But does it really excuse the lowest net spend out of all teams who were in the PL then and now?

I don't think so..
And the knock on effect of that is what I discussed in my previous posts re 2019-2023 net spend data.

Haha the irony, you do the exact same thing to play down the spending in each window.

sometimes you're genuinely a parody of yourself.

I'm sorry Rodgers didn't get the job, I know you reveled in telling us all he was favourite.

Honestly hope I wake up to “Kane fee agreed” news tomorrow. I just want this nightmare to be over. It’s already broken me in two seeing him leave but I’ve accepted it now. I just want the money for Kane and to buy some top quality players to re-tool the squad in Ange’s vision.

A drawn out saga is worst case scenario.

You can find bad moments from literally every defender on earth. Imagine if we posted missed shots from every attacker we were linked to.
See: Van Dijk here...

BriskGenuineIberianlynx-max-1mb.gif

Honestly hope I wake up to “Kane fee agreed” news tomorrow. I just want this nightmare to be over. It’s already broken me in two seeing him leave but I’ve accepted it now. I just want the money for Kane and to buy some top quality players to re-tool the squad in Ange’s vision.

A drawn out saga is worst case scenario.

Tomorrow is when the good news starts.

CB signings and an end to the Kane saga.

Back
Top Bottom