How long do you give Ange to get it right?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many league games patience do you have?

• Total voters
I hope Ange will get the FINANCIAL support he wants from the club to improve the squad and results on the pitch and put a smile in our faces in the cold winter weekends.

I do not want to think what Spurs fans will call him in the worst scenario if big Ange fails, may be big "something" LOL

I hope Ange will get the FINANCIAL support he wants from the club to improve the squad and results on the pitch and put a smile in our faces in the cold winter weekends.

I do not want to think what Spurs fans will call him in the worst scenario if big Ange fails, may be big "something" LOL

Looks like he’ll be allowed to spend only what we receive in transfers so let’s hope that doesn’t include Kane!

Are we ready for a shitshow? The positive vibes here are great. But what happens if it goes pear shaped early on?

Will Ange be able to turn around 4+ seasons of counter attacking reactive football in one short pre-season?

If it all goes a bit Pete Tong can we be the patient fanbase this man needs??

Or are you going to be calling for his head if we are
W1-D1-L3 after the first 5 games.

As personally think it’s going to be a tough ask of the man. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
But I’m happy to give him a season of mediocrity if it shows shoots of hope and attacking intent.

Even Pep “failed” in his first season in the Prem.
daft question, as none of us has any influence in decisions about hiring and firing managers

Taking off my bias hat, its about seeing evidence of growth. I think he needs a season but particularly if Kane goes we all understand how tough a job this is. The thing is with Nuno is you could straight away tell even at 8 games it was a mistake. It'll be hard to measure a successful season this year in terms of league finish, because the feel and the direction of it is far more important.

He’ll need more than a season to begin to sort out the mess
We can't accept much in the first season but we do expect improvement in the second half of the season and finish top 6. Otherwise, another season with no improvement, staying still is going backward because you become easy target from teams behind.

daft question, as none of us has any influence in decisions about hiring and firing managers

Another fucking idiot. Well done

:goonermong::myword::goonermong:

Why bother discussing transfers?? Putting up your preferred teams?? We don’t make transfers or pick the starting 11

Why not just shut the whole page down. There’s no point in any of it then is there.

......Dier and? (...Even the Dier thing has gone deadly quiet.)

As for "shoestring"; the current persistent links are Maddison & Raya who's being quoted as somewhere between 50-60m & 40m respectively. 100m for 2 players.......

Surely you're not just making shit up to stoke a misery narrative are you? .......Surely not!?!?
IF we sign those players you have a point. Until then you have no point, but don't worry we are all very used to that on here...
It can't have escaped even your myopic gaze that we are linked with big names every single window and nothing comes of 99% of the noise.

We are in a right fucking mess. It's not going to be an easy unravel with this squad and Postecoglou methodology (from what everyone is saying) is completely the reverse of the lazy shite we've been coaching the last 3 years. It's going to take time. Got to give him next season.

I love what Slot, De Zerbi etc do and the idea of what Postecoglou could potentially do but this is why someone like Potter could have made sense as an evolutionary step. gentler, less ferocious methods...

But if it works, might go through more short term pain, hopefully the upside could be long term gain.
I'm not convinced that we're quite as bad as you paint it to be BC, though I will concede that there are quite a few players that won't make the cut with Ange.

The players have been forced to play negative Football under the last 3 managers, and we can see that it's affected them negatively. It's not their natural game, so any joy has been sucked out of them, with their self confidence sucked down with it.

Virtually every player we have either came from sides that didn't play that way, or were part of the Poch era where we went after the opposition from the get go.

I'd like to think that these players will find that joy again under Ange, and a kind of 'muscle memory' will kick in. They're not having to learn a different way of playing, as they've all played this way before. What I think will take time is the understanding between the players, knowing your team mates should be and trusting that they'll be there when they should be. They've played like strangers under Conte this season gone, which Conte blamed them for. Whilst he may be in part correct, you can't overlook the fact that our players really didn't look happy playing that way. So many lethargic starts to games said to me we had players enduring a game rather than revelling in it.

Positivity is severely underrated. Belief even moreso. Those 2 ingredients can make an average player good, and a good player excellent, especially if you provide them with a playing style that encourages that to flourish, and a meritocracy where you're awarded for your efforts, not your name or time served.

I think we have a core of talented players that will take to his brand of Football like a duck to water. The key will be getting them to trust each other and willing to run through walls for each other as much as him.

I have no Great Expectations from his first season. Mid table maybe flirting with top 6 at best.
I haven't got a clue about Posto but I'm reading encouraging things. Hopefully chances for some of our youngsters.

So if we're bottom at Xmas with 8 points, you'd give them the season?
If we are bottom at Christmas with 8 points its down to ENIC/Levy incompetence.
It will be because we STILL have the likes Dier, Davies, Sessegnon, PEH starting games.
Managers can't turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

Frankly it was a miracle Conte got us 4th in his first season, clearly he chucked his cards in after he wasn't backed properly off the back of that.

I read a quote where he said something like 'there is no plan B. You just do plan A better'. That's pretty much what we've just had from Conte and we have not had the players capable of carrying out such demands. Ok, the plans are not going to be anything like each other, but there needs to be some flexibility in order to succeed.
I wouldn't be too concerned. I thought the same but really all he's saying is that he's an attacking manager and doesn't compromise on that. He is flexible and will make changes to his system based on the players at his disposal, but the overall system will still be attacking.

I'm not convinced that we're quite as bad as you paint it to be BC, though I will concede that there are quite a few players that won't make the cut with Ange.

The players have been forced to play negative Football under the last 3 managers, and we can see that it's affected them negatively. It's not their natural game, so any joy has been sucked out of them, with their self confidence sucked down with it.

Virtually every player we have either came from sides that didn't play that way, or were part of the Poch era where we went after the opposition from the get go.

I'd like to think that these players will find that joy again under Ange, and a kind of 'muscle memory' will kick in. They're not having to learn a different way of playing, as they've all played this way before. What I think will take time is the understanding between the players, knowing your team mates should be and trusting that they'll be there when they should be. They've played like strangers under Conte this season gone, which Conte blamed them for. Whilst he may be in part correct, you can't overlook the fact that our players really didn't look happy playing that way. So many lethargic starts to games said to me we had players enduring a game rather than revelling in it.

Positivity is severely underrated. Belief even moreso. Those 2 ingredients can make an average player good, and a good player excellent, especially if you provide them with a playing style that encourages that to flourish, and a meritocracy where you're awarded for your efforts, not your name or time served.

I think we have a core of talented players that will take to his brand of Football like a duck to water. The key will be getting them to trust each other and willing to run through walls for each other as much as him.
We overperformed last season, underperformed this one. Agree not so far off, but strengthening defence is key.

Son-Kane-Kulu should still be as good as any front 3.

Bissouma-Benta-new signing (a committed GLC would have been fine here too) can be quality.

Udogie-New CB- Romero-Emerson can be adequate if well coached.

Not that far off. Conte transformed our style of play in a few months. If we get even one top quality CB and keep Kane, we'll be much better.

Im ready for a rollercoaster ride, but I would set a limit. Top half of the table is the floor, if we breach 10th spot then his job comes into question.

Also needs to be improvement in performance and a clear and obvious pathway to something better should results not be great.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I thought the same but really all he's saying is that he's an attacking manager and doesn't compromise on that. He is flexible and will make changes to his system based on the players at his disposal, but the overall system will still be attacking.

And tbf Conte did try to change and play more attacking. We got humped every time and from then on our defense fell apart.

A HUGE part of Ange succeeding is Spurs fans not getting swept up into any media narrative about him needing to change.

If the club and fans are really sure that what they want is Ange ball, everyone needs to stick behind it, even when the hive mind is saying he needs to change.

Wish I could pin this post tbh because it hasn't happened since Poch.

Back
Top Bottom