How long do you give Ange to get it right?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many league games patience do you have?

• Total voters
You can tell if someone is definitely not up to it by Christmas. No doubt about it, that is enough time if the manager is rubbish. Some weak managers can fool you a bit longer.

Better managers, you need to give them at least a season to know if they fit, and often after about 18 months you find they are flattering to deceive.

Usually, a really good manager is obvious within a fairly short time, certainly with a season.

I tend to decide on a manager quite quickly because I’ve seen many come and go now over the last 30 years. There are often obvious signs with weak managers and similarly with great managers, so i hope to see the latter from him in the first dozen games. But I’ll give him at least till Christmas.

The thing is that when Poch first came it wasn’t very good so realistically he gets one season at least

At least half season.

Having pre season is big bonus, assuming he gets the personnel he wants, he has no excuse after December.

If we start the same XI or with only 1 or 2 new faces then forget it, he can't do much and needs more than 2 seasons.

Ange can't do much with current squad knowing damn well 3 managers in Conte, Stellini and Mason failed. It ain't flippin brain surgery or rocket science. Levy should bring in 5 players before August who will walk in the staring XI.

But is Levy capable?

depends who we get, if we have entertaining football but a top 8 finish i will be fine with that we just need to see a plan in motion, there will be results against big teams where we try and attack them and might get a 3-1 or 4-0 loss, levy needs to get rid of the dross each window and bring in who ange wants and not who levy wants

Nailed it

Nailed It GIF by MOODMAN

If we play decent footbal, losing some and see a path to success our fan base are fairly patient.

If we play shit football and win points our fanbase are a few losses from turning.

If we play shit football and are losing then the managers gone.

Conte this season and avb prove the second point

SACK THE CUNT NOW - He's having a holiday, ffs!!!

I heard his first comments to the media as a Spurs man today. Didn't once call Levy a cunt.... Company yes-man, I'm telling ya............ Bloke's a fucking club-signing! ......Fuck this guy!!!

We are in a right fucking mess. It's not going to be an easy unravel with this squad and Postecoglou methodology (from what everyone is saying) is completely the reverse of the lazy shite we've been coaching the last 3 years. It's going to take time. Got to give him next season.

I love what Slot, De Zerbi etc do and the idea of what Postecoglou could potentially do but this is why someone like Potter could have made sense as an evolutionary step. gentler, less ferocious methods...

But if it works, might go through more short term pain, hopefully the upside could be long term gain.

G'day from Australia.

Just wanted to provide a word of caution by way of expectation management since this thread was made. If you're only giving Ange 6 months, he won't have time to deliver.

Ange has won trophies everywhere he's been in the last 10 years, but just be aware that every single won of those winning clubs started badly - Celtic, Yokohama, Brisbane Roar and the Australian national team all had issues at the outset before coming good much later.

Very often his first six months in the job can be very rough while the players adjust to his hyper aggressive, high intensity style. Results can sometimes be middling and unpredictable during this period.

There will be moments when fans and the media will call his very high press "naive", because when it goes wrong it looks really ugly and you will leak some very silly looking goals. The attacking philosophy will be visible and obvious reasonably early, but the defence may look weak.

I'll warn everyone now - it will not surprise me one bit to see Spurs in the bottom half of the table after 6 months in the job, and some of you will be calling for his head. My advice would be to hold your nerve when this happens. This will take courage and a huge dose of understanding.
Good advice Ange. Thank you 😁

you'll know exactly who he is after 6 games of watching his system and style of play, and his in game management.

lets just hope he lives up to the hype. out of the so called big 6, we have the worst squad going if you want high intensity and pressing. so lets hope he has the acumen to improvise a little until he can get what he wants to fully mould the squad into what he needs.

There will be a large chunk of spoilt brat Spurs fans that would throw out boos and nasty "... out" hashtags 45 minutes into his reign if he doesn't get off to a flying start, poncing around in purple and yellow like it's a badge of entitled impatience.

Our fan base have left me feeling a bit embarrassed to be Spurs at times this season. Not just the stupid purple/yellow nonsense, more so the horrible booing for Davinson Sachez AT HOME. Not sure that's I moment I will ever forget.

I would give him 2 seasons. Unless we are like, 25 games in floating around the relegation zone.
European qualification I would celebrate as a job well done. A day out at Wembley would be exceeding expectations.

Giving him less than a full season is mental.
G'day from Australia.

Just wanted to provide a word of caution by way of expectation management since this thread was made. If you're only giving Ange 6 months, he won't have time to deliver.

Ange has won trophies everywhere he's been in the last 10 years, but just be aware that every single won of those winning clubs started badly - Celtic, Yokohama, Brisbane Roar and the Australian national team all had issues at the outset before coming good much later.

Very often his first six months in the job can be very rough while the players adjust to his hyper aggressive, high intensity style. Results can sometimes be middling and unpredictable during this period.

There will be moments when fans and the media will call his very high press "naive", because when it goes wrong it looks really ugly and you will leak some very silly looking goals. The attacking philosophy will be visible and obvious reasonably early, but the defence may look weak.

I'll warn everyone now - it will not surprise me one bit to see Spurs in the bottom half of the table after 6 months in the job, and some of you will be calling for his head. My advice would be to hold your nerve when this happens. This will take courage and a huge dose of understanding.

If he’s bottom half 6 months in, he’s gone.

G'day from Australia.

As a Tottenham, England, TPS & Freo Dockers fan I'm quite comfortable around relentless failure.

Still, the cricket should cheer me up a bit next week.

Then you also don't know how adaptable Postecoglou is. If things start slow maybe he'll be able to look at what works and doesn't and adapt and adjust.
That is my biggest concern with Ange under Levy. I read a quote where he said something like 'there is no plan B. You just do plan A better'. That's pretty much what we've just had from Conte and we have not had the players capable of carrying out such demands. Ok, the plans are not going to be anything like each other, but there needs to be some flexibility in order to succeed.

He's going to need this coming season (at least) to build the foundations of something and Levy and co have to give him what he needs to achieve it (and I don't mean spending silly money).

To be fair to them, the club are clearly making an effort to turn the ship around. They're taking a punt on a guy who does look like he can bring us the entertainment we crave. Seems like they're trying the Brighton Moneyball system of recruitment. They're dusting the cobwebs off the academy. They're changing the medical staff. They're aiming to sell the weaker links.

He's been appointed not just to get us back to being entertaining to watch but also to unify the fanbase. Giving Ange some time and space to make it all work means giving all of them a bit of time.

Put it on another thread that Poch’s first season we finished 5th after finishing 6th the season before.
But yet he had people in his case for that whole first season.

I’m hoping our fanbase is prepared for the what happens next if Kane goes.

But even based on a first season improvement of 1 place like Poch we are still only finishing 7th.

And tbh I think Poch had a much easier task at hand.

One thing is for certain, I don’t think it should be underestimated just how tough this job is for Ange.

- He has a squad that has been broadly composed and trained to be a low-block counter side for years now.

- He has Kane, who is either going this summer or likely next if not.

- Our other borderline world class player has had a horrid season. Let’s hope it’s just that, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that he’s just done as an elite player at this point.

- He inherits an horrific defence that has leaked goals for fun all season.

- He takes on a front line including Kane and Son that really isn’t ideal for the front-foot high-press football Ange likes.

- He doesn’t really have full backs that are comfortable footballers to play the inverted full-backs he likes.

Questions like this are tough to answer because sometimes what you’re seeing on the pitch is more important than the results when you’re looking at a long-term project.

For me, after say 6 months I want to see evidence of a playing style that I think can achieve success, and a shift in the “feeling” around the club in terms of our direction of travel.

The results I’m less fussed about, it’ll take time to get a complete squad together for Ange’s vision.

It’s hard to quantify, but if you’re moving in the right direction I think you just know it and can feel momentum building behind the club. Liverpool had that early under Klopp.

Given him 30 weeks, so we have time to bring Big Sam in, if it all goes really bad. ;)

Seriously, if he can demonstrate progress in the playing style, and keep us safe, he gets 2 full seasons from me, before I would hope us to be really challenging again. (And even then its 'hope' not 'expect' with our chairman.) We're in a bad way and need patience.

Put it on another thread that Poch’s first season we finished 5th after finishing 6th the season before.
But yet he had people in his case for that whole first season.

I’m hoping our fanbase is prepared for the what happens next if Kane goes.

But even based on a first season improvement of 1 place like Poch we are still only finishing 7th.

And tbh I think Poch had a much easier task at hand.
Our fan base is toxic granted not all of it, you can see/read that by who’s on here and our away fans at games they know what to expect or they wouldn’t travel….if we become hard to beat and play entertaining football that’s fine with me whether it takes 6months, 8 months what this manager/coach hiring is tedious & boring

G'day from Australia.
Spudulike Spudulike has already sussed you out as Ange, so welcome mate - enjoy your well-earned holiday.
If you look at the poll results, Ange, 80% of respondents are happy to give you the whole season. We get the scale of the task ahead of you, cobber.
Hahaha - it's okay! No worries mate! Quite recently, we lost at home to Bournemouth!
you will leak some very silly looking goals.
No change there then, mate.
the defence may look weak.
hahahahah hohohhhooohohohohooo. Really?
it will not surprise me one bit to see Spurs in the bottom half of the table after 6 months in the job, and some of you will be calling for his head. My advice would be to hold your nerve when this happens.
No worries mate. Just brace yourself for the boooos.
This will take courage and a huge dose of understanding.
Yes! You're talking to Spurs supporters. No trophies for over 17 million years. We can wait 9 months for one.
Don't forget the suntan lotion, mate. We need you fit & healthy for the pre-season.

As long as he needs until it looks like he doesnt know what he's doing. If we aren't winning much and somehow he is obsessed with playing Winks or Dier or...god forbid, Ndombele...if the quality of performances is exactly like Conte's..we will know then

Lets hope things go well and the bald bastard backs the fat bastard.

Back
Top Bottom