How long do you give Ange to get it right?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many league games patience do you have?

• Total voters
I don't know. It all depends what I see going on. If I can see something changing then I will give him a year maybe even two. If I see us decide to sit back and play like we have the last three years which I do not expect I will give 10-15 Games.

A season.

But if we’re really struggling around January, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Levy pull the trigger. I don’t buy the bullshit around a rebuild. He’ll still demand European football.

You can tell if someone is definitely not up to it by Christmas. No doubt about it, that is enough time if the manager is rubbish. Some weak managers can fool you a bit longer.

Better managers, you need to give them at least a season to know if they fit, and often after about 18 months you find they are flattering to deceive.

Usually, a really good manager is obvious within a fairly short time, certainly with a season.

I tend to decide on a manager quite quickly because I’ve seen many come and go now over the last 30 years. There are often obvious signs with weak managers and similarly with great managers, so i hope to see the latter from him in the first dozen games. But I’ll give him at least till Christmas.

Half a season is enough to see some patterns in our play. Consistent results will take more time, obviously. He will last a season at least, I think, unless we’re facing relegation.

What are you most concerned about with him?
Will his system translate to the Premier League, can he be flexible and make in game adjustments, and how well he can work with players, Levy/DFO, and the media? He was able to sweep aside obstacles where he's been because he was a big fish in a small pond and the level of competition was much less. Lots of things don't go manager's way at the Premier League level and I wonder how he'll adjust to that. I actually think it's possible he will be more successful at the front end of his time with Spurs than later on.

G'day from Australia.

Just wanted to provide a word of caution by way of expectation management since this thread was made. If you're only giving Ange 6 months, he won't have time to deliver.

Ange has won trophies everywhere he's been in the last 10 years, but just be aware that every single won of those winning clubs started badly - Celtic, Yokohama, Brisbane Roar and the Australian national team all had issues at the outset before coming good much later.

Very often his first six months in the job can be very rough while the players adjust to his hyper aggressive, high intensity style. Results can sometimes be middling and unpredictable during this period.

There will be moments when fans and the media will call his very high press "naive", because when it goes wrong it looks really ugly and you will leak some very silly looking goals. The attacking philosophy will be visible and obvious reasonably early, but the defence may look weak.

I'll warn everyone now - it will not surprise me one bit to see Spurs in the bottom half of the table after 6 months in the job, and some of you will be calling for his head. My advice would be to hold your nerve when this happens. This will take courage and a huge dose of understanding.

I’d give him a season with hopefully seeing some sort of style of play on the pitch by the end of it.

(Voted for 1-5 games by accident :ange-facepalm:)
Embarrassed Shame GIF

I’m not sure it’s so much about the coach as the players. A massive sack of shit to sort out, loads need to go, loads need to come in. Levy and DoF need to get busy. Ange needs more than a year and probably then some.

I hope he’s given a wee bit of time. I’m not expecting miracles but given time and the right tools I’m hoping that we can at least attempt to take the cups seriously for one thing.

I do think it could be a bit bumpy for the first wee while but if we can steadily progress from being utterly boring to something that resembles a decent football team then I’ll take that. I’d probably say top 6 is still very much the lower aim, and anything above obviously depends on other variables. Will Brighton have another good season? Will Villa fall away? Etc.

Just give this guy time unless it is a complete disaster and we’re sitting 16th or something in December. I don’t think we will be though.

Stadium fans: You could well be right.
Social media wank-rags: Doubtful.
Social media fans are probably the living embodiment of everything that is wrong with society in this age, not to mention football followings.

It’s all about hipster choices as coaches and dissecting formations like they know better than the guys paid millions a year to, you know, actually coach.

The absolute best bet is to completely ignore the cunts and you’ll live a much happier life.

It depends really, City, United, Newcastle, Liverpool, Scum, Chavs, I would expect to finish in the top 6. If we can't finish 7th that would be poor. But then I have to take into account, that we probably won't have Kane.

Back
Top Bottom