How long do you give Ange to get it right?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many league games patience do you have?

• Total voters

BernardMatthews

“Wildly offensive and ill informed”
Are we ready for a shitshow? The positive vibes here are great. But what happens if it goes pear shaped early on?

Will Ange be able to turn around 4+ seasons of counter attacking reactive football in one short pre-season?

If it all goes a bit Pete Tong can we be the patient fanbase this man needs??

Or are you going to be calling for his head if we are
W1-D1-L3 after the first 5 games.

As personally think it’s going to be a tough ask of the man. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
But I’m happy to give him a season of mediocrity if it shows shoots of hope and attacking intent.

Even Pep “failed” in his first season in the Prem.

I'll give 'til half time of the first home game of the season....

If we ain't winning 3-0 by then, the chorus of boo's will be deafening!!!!

What are we classifying as getting it right? Is it in terms of a league position, or is it him showing signs of implementing a style of play even if the results aren't there yet?

If we're talking league position, I'd say the first season should be a free then the next would be when we should expect to see some progress in the table.

But if it's based on him improving the overall style of play, I'd say maybe around 6 months.

I don't think we'll sack him at the first sign of trouble, even Chelsea stuck with Potter longer than they probably should've.

I think the only scenario where the board would even contemplate sacking him next season is if we are in real danger of relegation.

If not, then I don't think he's in any danger. Personally I'm expecting a season of mid-table at best, but as others have said, if there are positive signs there in terms of personnel brought in and style of play, then so be it.

I can be patient with him, there's so much shit to turn around. He's got an entirely different style of play, a squad which looks like they've forgotten how to pass the ball about, and a lot of players who really shouldn't be here next season as well as inexperience of this league.

All this combined means it could be messy to begin with while new players gel in and they all get up to speed with playing high intensity possession football again. We have no idea if we'll have our only current world class player still with us.

Unless we're in serious danger of going down he should be given the time to implement his ideas and stabilise us. I mean, I just looked back over the Poch thread - there were some on there calling for his head 18 months in still. We're rebuilding from Ground Zero. We cannot expect a quick fix to this, even if Pep was our manager.

Half a season. If we're anywhere near the bottom 3 then you have to suck it up and make the change.
We can't go down.

That said, might well be the thing that rids us of Levy

I went with half a season. He'll have one transfer window and a decent amount of time to build his team and get his philosophy accross.

I'm not says Spurs will be top by Christmas, but that should be enough time to see what direction the team is going in.

If things are going well- and I fully expect they will be- then give him the next window and the rest of the season.

I don't like to see managers binned early, but if you're going to pull the trigger do it when the transfer window is open.

I know know managers can get a tune out of an old fiddle, but for me if you back a manager in one transfer window you back him until the next one opens.

I don't think there will be any doubts about Ange come December, but if there are, then bin him or give him the rest of the season.

Any manager should be given a minimum of one season.

The problem is, we are now seeing even teams like West Ham win trophies, the discontent is brewing and patience is at an all time low. The squads needs a huge overhaul which ENIC is determined to do on a shoestring budget while seemingly wanting to offer players like Dier new contracts.

It's not a quick fix.

If he doesn't have us camped out on the edge of our box waiting for one of our defenders to make a mistake and gift the other team a goal AND just let the other team have all the ball and boring me to fucking death, then he easily gets the whole season.

My expectation would be a minimum of Europa League positions but I don't know what that'll be now with the 5 Champions League places, 7th?

No I wouldn't sack him for at least a whole season.

Reportedly got a 4 year deal so it would have to be pretty bad to sack him off in his first season.

Strongish start like Pochettino got would be lovely. We beat West Ham and QPR in our opening two games which saw us top of the league but playing good stuff. But we also have to be patient. Liverpool embarrassed us in his third game in charge 3-0 and there was clear teething problems throughout Pochettinos first year. Fazio at centre back, Walker missing nearly the entire season through injury. Not utilising Dembele and a bit of a clear out needed.

There will be games under Ange where I think it'll click. We will beat teams by 2 or 3 goals. But there will be games where perhaps, maybe the bigger and better teams, get behind and score a few passed us. And I reckon we'll also smash at least one of the bigger clubs in the same way Poch did to Chelsea in his first season.

I think as long as we're playing good football, the players are getting fitter and fitter and it's clear there's a change in what were trying to achieve, he'll get given the time.

I believe fans will give him two years no matter what. People have bought into the whole "Big Ange" thing. People are already making excuses for why he won't win early on. If he doesn't do well the first season it will all be Levy's fault. Then they'll turn on the players.

Back
Top Bottom